Worst NHL goalie ever

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The worst goalie Ive ever witnessed never played in the NHL but was drafted by the North Stars. Byan Schoen. When he saved a shot he would jump up (for dramatic effect) making him drop the puck. It was embarrassing.

... ah yes, the "Sensationalist"... saw that and more quite a lot in amateur. Just bizarre.... I had a Backup like that one year. Make the easy look like it was the impossible. Budding Thespian. Only this guy was also a psycho.... in a practice during shooting drills God help the guy who's shot was a little high because this guy would immediately drop his stick, gloves, tear off his mask & charge the player on the blue line or at center.... chased & then subdued by others... totally lose his ****..... Now, I guess its sorta-kinda understandable but it wasnt deliberate on the shooters part, wasnt Head Hunting just got the shot up going for top corner.... but thing was, this goalie actually did the same in game situations sometimes & then the shots were sometimes deliberately head level & you just dealt with it if you were normal, sane. But not this guy. Actually got ejected a couple times, talk of banning him from the League altogether not just for that but he was also beyond viscous with his stick.... Very unorthodox style to boot. Real headcase that one. Was apparently a really good soccer goalie, going on to play internationally & pro.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
... ah yes, the "Sensationalist"... saw that and more quite a lot in amateur. Just bizarre.... I had a Backup like that one year. Make the easy look like it was the impossible. Budding Thespian. Only this guy was also a psycho.... in a practice during shooting drills God help the guy who's shot was a little high because this guy would immediately drop his stick, gloves, tear off his mask & charge the player on the blue line or at center.... chased & then subdued by others... totally lose his ****..... Now, I guess its sorta-kinda understandable but it wasnt deliberate on the shooters part, wasnt Head Hunting just got the shot up going for top corner.... but thing was, this goalie actually did the same in game situations sometimes & then the shots were sometimes deliberately head level & you just dealt with it if you were normal, sane. But not this guy. Actually got ejected a couple times, talk of banning him from the League altogether not just for that but he was also beyond viscous with his stick.... Very unorthodox style to boot. Real headcase that one. Was apparently a really good soccer goalie, going on to play internationally & pro.

:laugh::laugh: Man you always ahve a story in your back pocket dont you. Im desperatly trying to find a clip of this goalie though. I have no idea how he ended up in sweden, for the reigning champions no less.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
:laugh::laugh: Man you always ahve a story in your back pocket dont you. Im desperatly trying to find a clip of this goalie though. I have no idea how he ended up in sweden, for the reigning champions no less.

... :laugh: if you cant find one dont worry about it, I know exactly what your talking about, the type of Goalie. Saw it sometimes in Mike Palmateer (amongst others who did play in the NHL). Total hot-dog-wiener move's... flourishing the puck in his glove like he'd just caught & saved a priceless Faberge Egg from destruction or something when in fact... the idjeet prolly had no idea the puck had by accidental fluke wound up in his trapper in the first place, sheer luck.... But this guy I played with that one season... typical soccer goalie & he played it that way on the ice. Sprawling two handed saves, whole 9 yards. Airborn half the time. Hasek was a reserved, normal, Stand-Up/Hybrid in comparison to this guy. Dude would actually swing from the crossbar at times.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
... :laugh: if you cant find one dont worry about it, I know exactly what your talking about, the type of Goalie. Saw it sometimes in Mike Palmateer (amongst others who did play in the NHL). Total hot-dog-wiener move's... flourishing the puck in his glove like he'd just caught & saved a priceless Faberge Egg from destruction or something when in fact... the idjeet prolly had no idea the puck had by accidental fluke wound up in his trapper in the first place, sheer luck.... But this guy I played with that one season... typical soccer goalie & he played it that way on the ice. Sprawling two handed saves, whole 9 yards. Airborn half the time. Hasek was a reserved, normal, Stand-Up/Hybrid in comparison to this guy. Dude would actually swing from the crossbar at times.

:laugh::laugh: Goalies are a different breed

Ok so I know the story now. Both goalies was injured for HV71 so Schoen was on loan there from a lower division team. It mustve been a fairly deperate time :laugh:

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Well obviously there are a lot of short stints and cups of coffee type goalies that appeared for bad teams, got lit up, and fell off the face of the earth. Tough to really even consider them because they weren't NHL talent, just guys pressed into NHL duty.

When it comes to guys who had more legit NHL careers and were just awful...Cheveldae, Thibault, Norm Maracle, Raycroft.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
If we're talking about just one season I'd like to say that Jonas Hiller in 2015-16 was the worst player I've ever witnessed in a Flames jersey.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I think the question should be made more clear because there are goalies that just plain sucked....however, they never played long. Then there were goalies that played well, then fell off the face of the map...finally, there are goalies that seem to be in the NHL, but aren't good and no one can figure out how the hell they played so long in the big leagues.

Example

Goalie that hasn't played many games and aren't that good - too many

Goalie that played well and fell off the face of the map - ala Steve Penny

Goalie that career-wise was just bad - Ahem.. Allan Bester - Mike Palmateer (though, I do love his glove saves)

80's goalies were good

Murray Bannerman
Patrick Roy
Mike Liut
Pete Peters
Ron Hextall
Billy Smith
Grant Fuhr on and on.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The worst goalie Ive ever witnessed never played in the NHL but was drafted by the North Stars. Byan Schoen. When he saved a shot he would jump up (for dramatic effect) making him drop the puck. It was embarrassing.

Why the hell was he even drafted? His college number were pathetic as well.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
You guys needed to hardy Astrom play. This would not be close

We covered this up-list.

Many of us *did* see Astrom play.

It's certainly not close, but not in the direction that you're implying.

You may have been reading too many of Don Cherry's press clippings. For good and for bad, Don Cherry's primary purpose is to promote Don Cherry (regardless of who gets thrown under the bus in the process). Gilles Gilbert was a good goaltender, too, for what it's worth.

Reactions: Tarantula

mikee

Jul 6, 2016
Every time a thread like this comes up I throw Jimmy Waite's name into the fray. He may not be the worst goalie ever but he may be the worst one that kept getting chances with good teams.

Jimmy Waite played for parts of 11 years and each one was spent with playoff teams, including good defensive teams in Chicago featuring tons of HoF and Olympic caliber players. He also was part of a rotation with two HoF goalies (Belfour and Hasek) for a while and was so clearly inferior to the two of them that it drove me insane. He also played half of his career in the DPE and still his career numbers:

RS: 28-41-12 .871 3.35
PO: 0-3-0 .877 3.98

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Karri Ramo

AINEC

Karri Rämö is not even the worst goalie of the Flames franchise. Don Edwards, Jason Muzzati, Ty Garner, Tim Bernhardt and Steve Guenette says "hi".

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
I have trouble with Don Edwards being on a "worst goalies" list, even only considering his Calgary career.

He was essentially of league average save percentage during his three years there (2.4 goals allowed more than league average over the period). However, playing in the Smythe Division, his opponents had shooting percentages 1.5%, 3.4% and 2.5% better than league average, so you'd expect Edwards to look quite a bit worse than average.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
I have trouble with Don Edwards being on a "worst goalies" list, even only considering his Calgary career.

He was essentially of league average save percentage during his three years there (2.4 goals allowed more than league average over the period). However, playing in the Smythe Division, his opponents had shooting percentages 1.5%, 3.4% and 2.5% better than league average, so you'd expect Edwards to look quite a bit worse than average.

Yea I had a feeling he might be overqualified but compared to Rämö?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad