Worst Murray Era Sens Coach?

Satoru Gojo

Jan 15, 2012
Since Murray took over as GM in 2007, the Senators have had 5 different head coaches, 6 if you include Murray himself for that brief period in 2007-2008.

I'm interested to see who fans think is the worst of the group

(I through Cameron in here, though I find it unlikely he'll be getting many votes)

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Wow, I completely forgot about Hartsburg.

Man, Bryan Murray doesn't give coaches a lot of rope eh?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hartsburg /thread

All the other guys had success at some point with the team.

Paddock: Best start to a season in franchise history
Clouston: 63-43-10 through his first two seasons, lost the room in his second season
MacLean: Won a Jack adams, had the team playing very well when he had a decent blueline beyond Karlsson
Cameron: Biggest comeback to make the playoffs in league history.

Hartsburg's biggest accomplishment as a Sens HC? Took the 2nd ranke offense in the league and dragged them all the way down to 23rd (which if we're being honest is only that high because Clouston managed to bring back the offense in the final 34 games).

SENSational Sens Fan

Mar 21, 2010
Calgary
Hartsburg was probably the guy I was most excited about at the time of hiring (MacLean being a close second). Unfortunately, he was the biggest flop and lasted the shortest, so it's him.

Last edited:

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The fact that Clouston has been canned twice more in the Western League since being here should tell you everything you need to know. He learned absolutely nothing from his experiences, and was unable to change and adapt to the situation(s) he was in.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Anyone who doesn't vote Hartsburg is either too young or has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"What I want you guys to do is, clear it out of our zone off the glass, and then change lines while they come back into our zone with the puck."

"And then what, coach?"

"Well, then you do it again!"

"Wait, so how do we score goals, coach?"

"YOU DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD AND YOU LIKE IT MISTER!"

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

JessicaN

Sep 11, 2012
Anyone who doesn't vote Hartsburg is either too young or has Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder.

"What I want you guys to do is, clear it out of our zone off the glass, and then change lines while they come back into our zone with the puck."

"And then what, coach?"

"Well, then you do it again!"

"Wait, so how do we score goals, coach?"

"YOU DO WHAT YOU'RE TOLD AND YOU LIKE IT MISTER!"
I remember that. dark days. :(

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
They all share the common trait of being inexperienced and easy to push around, which shows a lot of insecurity on Murray's part.

That said, from worst to least worst:

1)Clouston:
Should not have been an NHL coach, had zero experience with media and ran Heatley out of town. He couldn't adapt to his team either.

2)Hartsburg:
A screamer and another guy that should have been an assistant coach or just not hired at all. Wasn't suited for the team.

3)Paddock:
I hardly even remember Paddock but he seemed pretty inefficient.

2)Cameron:
He's here because of Melnyk, he's been a loser at every level, has difficulty expressing himself and for a communicator, he screams too much behind the bench. He still hasn't addressed the defensive deficiencies either. That said, he hasn't lost the room...yet, but he's been bizarre of late.

1)Paulrus:
He's the least worst of the bunch but he got short-tempered and his decision making got worse and worse as his tenure wore on. The only reason I put him here is that he was an entertaining post-game guy. "Player 61", "Shake, shake, shake it off" and so on, none of it really made up for his deficiencies, but at least it papered over them.

Once Murray goes, would be nice to have an experienced coach...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They all share the common trait of being inexperienced and easy to push around, which shows a lot of insecurity on Murray's part.

That said, from worst to least worst:

1)Clouston:
Should not have been an NHL coach, had zero experience with media and ran Heatley out of town. He couldn't adapt to his team either.

2)Hartsburg:
A screamer and another guy that should have been an assistant coach or just not hired at all. Wasn't suited for the team.

3)Paddock:
I hardly even remember Paddock but he seemed pretty inefficient.

2)Cameron:
He's here because of Melnyk, he's been a loser at every level, has difficulty expressing himself and for a communicator, he screams too much behind the bench. He still hasn't addressed the defensive deficiencies either. That said, he hasn't lost the room...yet, but he's been bizarre of late.

1)Paulrus:
He's the least worst of the bunch but he got short-tempered and his decision making got worse and worse as his tenure wore on. The only reason I put him here is that he was an entertaining post-game guy. "Player 61", "Shake, shake, shake it off" and so on, none of it really made up for his deficiencies, but at least it papered over them.

Once Murray goes, would be nice to have an experienced coach...

How on earth anyone can have Clouston behind Hartsburg is mindboggling to me.

It's not to say that Clouston was a good coach; he seemed to lack any people skills.

But, from a systems persective, he was Scotty freaking Bowman compared to Hartsburg.

When he took over from Hartsburg, the team we had a 17-24-7 record, 2.41 GF per game (hovering around dead last in the league) and 2.96 GA/g (bottom third of the league).

With the same team, Clouston had a 19-11-4 record, 2.97 GF/G (would have ranked top 10) and 2.79 GA/G (would have ranked middle of the pack/top half).

We went from banging the puck off the wall getting hemmed in our own zone all the time to playing an up tempo game.

You can blame Clouston for driving away Heatley all you want, but odds are more players would have run away under Hartsburgs terrible system had he been aloud to continue coaching. Maybe he was a nice guy (idk) but he certainly was not a better coach.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Why isn't Murray an option?

He was the one who handed over a finals caliber team to a coach with no NHL success. Just to take them over again.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Why couldn't he hire one single experienced coach?

He did. Two of them.

1) Hartsburg had 6 years of NHL Head Coach experience before he got to Ottawa.

2) Paddock had 4 years of HC experience, plus he was an NHL GM, plus almost another decade as an AHL head coach.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
Why isn't Murray an option?

He was the one who handed over a finals caliber team to a coach with no NHL success. Just to take them over again.

Because we are discussing coaching performances by the various options under Murray's regime, not the performance of the GM himself. When Murray took over again for that short time, he actually did a decent job IIRC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad