Worst Movie Theater Experience

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm curious what people have dealt with at the movie theater.

I actually don't have a huge issue with people on their phone, unless they have their brightness all the way up.

My worst experience was during a Star Wars movie a few years ago. The girl next to me must have gotten some popcorn stuck in her throat, because she didn't stop coughing for the last half of the movie. Total distractions. I think consistent coughing is among the worst things, so this time of year always worries me.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't remember what the movie was, but there was a time where I was sitting next to 2 kids (probably like 6-8 years old) and their mother. The two kids were closer to me and the mother was 3 seats down. The kids kept talking throughout the movie with the mom doing nothing. I think I only had to talk to them once, but I just said in a nice way, "Guys, can you please keep it down". The kids shut up right away and looked like embarrassed for talking, but I heard the mom say, "Did he really just say that?" Like nothing escalated from it, but I was in complete disbelief at the complete lack of awareness by the mom, the kids were great.

I also had a really memorable experience when I was probably 8 or so myself. My brother and I were seeing a movie with our parents (can't remember what) and these teenagers (I think so anyways, everyone always seems so old when you're at that age) behind us were talking really loudly like constantly. My dad turned around to talk to them pretty nicely at first, but it reached a point the next time where he legitimately stood up and shouted at the top of his lungs something like, "BE QUIET! I'VE HAD ENOUGH! WE'RE TRYING TO WATCH THE MOVIE!" It was like straight out of Seinfeld with George that one time. I heard one of the guys in the group say something like "What the f***?" but they stopped talking after that lol. My brother and I were just slinking down in our seats petrified to turn around and see what the teenagers were doing lmao. My dad's a super nice person but is very no nonsense when it comes to stuff like that. It's just funny to look back on.

I also remember early in high school there was a girl who liked me and a massive group of her friends kind of "set up" a movie date with us. A bunch of guys and girls went. It wasn't technically a date, but unbelievably obvious that they were trying to get me and her together. I was super shy and uncomfortable in front of that many people where the attention was kind of put on me, and probably said like 2 words to her the entire night (I mean it's a movie though, so WTF?). I just remember her storming off ahead with one of her friends when we left the theater. So awkward lol.

Last edited:

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I suppose I haven't been to the theater as much in recent years, but I haven't had too many terrible experiences.

- I believe it was opening night for Rogue One. Friend and I were in a small theater with nice reclining chairs. Woman sits behind use with a toddler who wouldn't stop talking. You could hear people in the theater grumbling and there was a palpable sense of anger, almost a collective "Who's gonna be the person to ask her to leave?" and eventually another woman worked up the nerve to do it.

- Last year, I watched Deadpool 2 with a coworker. Memory is a bit fuzzy, but I think we saw a matinee after our bosses gave everybody the green light to leave early on the Friday before Memorial Day. Theater was sparse but there was a pack of teenage guys who were trying a little too hard to be funny and talking over the movie. So that was a disappointment since I saw the first Deadpool in a theater and the experience probably benefited from being in a packed theater.

- My friend dragged me to see Master of Disguise starring Dana Carvey. Nothing wrong with the audience. Just the longest 90 minutes of my life. I still give her grief to this day.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
As a kid the local theater/library used to have a couple films a year in which kids would go to library and walk down street to see movie as a large group (Police , Fireman , City officials , etc would be at theater to welcome us like end of parade)

I went to see the original Aladdin and my sister who was 3 years older then me was with me

Inside theater I didn't like where she wanted to sit and wanted to go to front row. So she said go ahead and I went and sat in front row and she sat well away

Before the movie started the f***ing clown that was at event came and sat next to me ,,,,, For the whole god damn movie I had a clown sitting next to me watching movie

It was a terrifying experience for a child. My sister and her friends were laughing at it since she knew I was terrified of clowns

And that is last time I sat in front row of a movie

Sep 19, 2008
Dont' really have any. As long as I have a recliner I'm good. The worst ones are just sitting up front trying to watch movies in 3d. Shit. That doesn't work. You can't see shit.

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
I have quite a few. Younger, my group of friends always did the same thing, one of us would buy a ticket and get in early. Once it was clear, he'd open the backdoor to the theater, and we'd all get in through the alley. Went to see the latest Freddy movie, but at some point he puts on 3D glasses, and the audience must do the same. f***ing headache, watching 3D without glasses.

We all went back and paid our tickets - and opened the door for the friend who already had his glasses (at the time, you'd keep them, they were cardboard crap).

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
I think I average about 50 to 60 theater visits per year - however probably over 90% of those are either movies I go see at several film festivals throughout the year, or indie/foreign films I go check out at a small local theater where you'll never see big crowds. And when I have to go to a big commercial theater my flexible work hours allow me to go during the day when there's no kids. Crowds at film festivals are almost always respectfull enough to shut up and watch the movie, or leave when they think it's no good.

So I have actually very little horrible experiences compared to the amount of films I watch every year. Kids can be annoying.. but they're kids. Sometimes people cough or sneeze way too much but that's not intentional either. I have zero problem with someone wanting to say something as long as they whisper or do it as quietly as possible. But sometimes there's old people talking very loud, acting like they do at home probably, commenting on everything that happens; or those people who feel the need to literally talk about every scene and what they think is going to happen next, you know the kind of people who seem completely oblivious to the fact there are other people in the theater.

I think one of my worst recent experiences was a kid (teenager) sitting in front of me, and he was basically snapchatting the entire movie :mad:

Pranzo Oltranzista

Oct 18, 2017
Crowds at film festivals are almost always respectfull enough to shut up and watch the movie, or leave when they think it's no good.

There was a repertoire cinema in Montreal where people would go see films only to be seen there. That was absolutely ridiculous. Everytime I went, Ruiz, Godard, Garrel, whatever, everytime, most of the crowd was sleeping through the films, with old folks snoring loudly through Les amants réguliers.

Xelebes

Jun 10, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta
The worst experience had nothing do with the other theatre-goers. I was watching Cloverfield and I got motion sickness so I left feeling queasy and overwhelmed. It was a lot easier to watch on a small screen.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
But sometimes there's old people talking very loud, acting like they do at home probably, commenting on everything that happens; or those people who feel the need to literally talk about every scene and what they think is going to happen next, you know the kind of people who seem completely oblivious to the fact there are other people in the theater

The. Absolute. Worst.

Funny I started this thread, because I actually had a similar experience last night at my Knives Out showing. Wasn't among my worst experiences ever, but there was a couple a row behind me who were whispering throughout a good chunk of the movie after certain scenes. Drove me absolutely nuts.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I got hit in the head with a cane.
:laugh:

I sat on the row below an old lady and the cane slipped from her hand and right onto my head. She immediately apologized, so it was hard to get mad. That was what frustrated me though, because I really wanted to yell at someone. Who wanted to get hit on the head for no reason at all?

Recently, it is cell phones. People do not just quickly check the time; they check text messages multiple times during a movie. Most people do shut off their phone after you tell them though, so I cannot be too mad. I have seen one case where the guy who had the cell phone on called at the other person who pointed it out to him rude, and they began to argue over it. They only quiet down after people tell them to shut up.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
I think I average about 50 to 60 theater visits per year - however probably over 90% of those are either movies I go see at several film festivals throughout the year, or indie/foreign films I go check out at a small local theater where you'll never see big crowds. And when I have to go to a big commercial theater my flexible work hours allow me to go during the day when there's no kids. Crowds at film festivals are almost always respectfull enough to shut up and watch the movie, or leave when they think it's no good.

So I have actually very little horrible experiences compared to the amount of films I watch every year. Kids can be annoying.. but they're kids. Sometimes people cough or sneeze way too much but that's not intentional either. I have zero problem with someone wanting to say something as long as they whisper or do it as quietly as possible. But sometimes there's old people talking very loud, acting like they do at home probably, commenting on everything that happens; or those people who feel the need to literally talk about every scene and what they think is going to happen next, you know the kind of people who seem completely oblivious to the fact there are other people in the theater.

I think one of my worst recent experiences was a kid (teenager) sitting in front of me, and he was basically snapchatting the entire movie :mad:

I do not know if kids in Europe are more open to sex, but kids in North America are too hung up on sex scenes. I was at a youth screening during a film festival one year, and when a sex scene happened, the kids cannot stop giggling and laughing. The actors had most of their clothes on too, so it was not very explicit, but the kids still broke out in giggles and laughter.

As you said, they are kids, and they are probably just a little embarrassed, since it was a school field trip, and their teacher was there, but it took a while to get into the movie again.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I do not know if kids in Europe are more open to sex, but kids in North America are too hung up on sex scenes. I was at a youth screening during a film festival one year, and when a sex scene happened, the kids cannot stop giggling and laughing. The actors had most of their clothes on too, so it was not very explicit, but the kids still broke out in giggles and laughter.

As you said, they are kids, and they are probably just a little embarrassed, since it was a school field trip, and their teacher was there, but it took a while to get into the movie again.

Are you suggesting that kids in North America should be more open to sex? :laugh:

Despite how it came out, I can imagine what you meant, so you don't necessarily need to explain. Still, I think that it's perfectly natural and healthy for kids to be uncomfortable about sex. I can understand the giggling and laughing being a nuisance, though.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Watching Point Break. That's it.

I have questions

SnappySplendidGiantschnauzer-size_restricted.gif

Reactions: Eisen

Preds Partisan

Gunga galunga
Aug 17, 2009
1. Popcorn machine started smoking so they evacuated us into a torrential thunderstorm storm with five minutes left in the movie. No rain coat and car was parked on the opposite side of the mall.

2. High school when my parents were out of town and "I promise I won't leave the house..." except there was a picture in the Sunday paper of myself and five friends in a story about how the local theater let anybody in R rated movies and teens out of control. Uh-oh.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
1. Popcorn machine started smoking so they evacuated us into a torrential thunderstorm storm with five minutes left in the movie. No rain coat and car was parked on the opposite side of the mall.

2. High school when my parents were out of town and "I promise I won't leave the house..." except there was a picture in the Sunday paper of myself and five friends in a story about how the local theater let anybody in R rated movies and teens out of control. Uh-oh.

that second one sounds awesome!

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
I was a kid. I went to watch Master of Disguise with my mom and brother. One of my friends happened to be there too with her mom, we decided to all sit together. There were some younger kids from my school with their parents seated behind me. They were kicking my chair, I believe my friend's chair too. I kept telling them to stop kicking my chair. After the 8th time they kick the chair I turned around and told " If you kick my chair one more time I'll break your leg" They immediately stopped.

One time the projector died during the previews for Harry Potter. I think it was the second movie. I super upset because I was in love with Draco Malfoy and Harry Potter.

This one is a funny one which still makes me laugh to this day. It was over the summer, I went to watch a movie with a friend. Halfway through the movie my friend's phone went off. She took out her phone to turn it off. This older woman behind us started yelling at us. I told her "Shut the f*** up, you old bag! You're making more noise." It ended there. Back to school comes, my new English teacher started talking about her summer vacation. She mentioned these two rude girls who swore at her during the movies...... In my head, I was saying" Oh shit I hope she doesn't recognize us". After class, I told my firend don't say anything. Luckily she never recognized us.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I sat down for angels and demons with my pop corn and soft drink. The movie never starts. They refund us the ticket but am stuck with waaaaay overpriced snacks they don't want to refund. It would have cost me 1$ at home

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
One time went to see a movie with a couple friends and accidentally went in the wrong hall. Took us 20 minutes of being confused, until we realized we were watching some totally different movie. Left and went to the right hall, but at that point the movie was already 30 minutes in, and we had a lot of trouble following the plot. After a few months, the movie was finally online and I could watch the first part. Probably should've just stuck with the first one.

Not a movie theater experience, but one time I was at my parents friends house, and they have a kid that has like ADD or something. The kid insisted me and my friend watch Spider-Man, the first Toby Maguire one, with him and boasted about how he's seen it like a hundred times. Dude then proceeds to repeat every single line from the movie like 5 seconds BEFORE it actually happened on screen for the entire f***ing movie. Probably could've just talked the movie through perfectly without even seeing it. Worst (but also the funniest) movie experience of my life:D

Reactions: tealhockey

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I one time was slightly intoxicated on marijuana and I was sitting waiting for some friends who went to get food before the movie started. I was just staring at nothing, drifting off into my own world and the girl in front of me was on her phone, the friend of the girl sitting next to her turns around and sees me and she turns to her friend and tells her that I am looking at her phone screen which I wasn't I was just high man.

I was trying to tell them I wasn't looking and I'm just high but no words came out. I don't even remember the movie I watched and still to this day I am traumatized from being accused of being some phone pervert.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
My dad took my brother and I to Rocky V, which was our hype movie of the year...and in the middle of the street fight, the projector bulb pops. Fifteen minutes later, it restarts...and pops again. And again. So we’re just ragged from anticipating Rocky kicking Tommy Machine Gun Morrison’s ass, and we get free tickets to...The Nutcracker. Had to wait until VHS for the end of Rocky V.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad