Worst injuries a player played through.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Borowiecki just mentioned playing for 2 weeks with a broken bone in his hand.

Erik Karlsson playing with a broken bone in his foot.

Bobby Ryan playing with a broken hand for what must be 3 years now. Playing with a broken hand is very common in the NHL actually.

Kazcram

May 13, 2012
Shakespeare Ontario
After the Chicago Blackhawks eliminated the Bruins in six games in the 2013 Cup Final, it was revealed that Bergeron had played the deciding game with cracked ribs, torn cartilage and a punctured lung suffered in Game 5, plus a separated shoulder sustained during the first period of Game 6. He logged 17:45 of ice time in the loss, then wound up in the hospital.

Read more at: Patrice Bergeron Relives Most Painful Game Of His Life In Players’ Tribune

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
Tomas Sandstrom played an entire playoffs on a broken leg.

Bryan Berard basically playing with one eye deserves a mention.

Mario Lemieux couldn't bend over to tie his skates as the story goes, his back was that bad.

My Best-Carey

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Bergeron Collapsed Lung. AINEC. Seriously, it's not even close.

Yeah I don't even physically know how that is possible. Broken bones in hands and legs can be masked with injections by freezing it. How you play with a collapsed lung though, at the NHL level? f*** me.

Reactions: Jtown

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
I hate the Bruins but have always loved Bergeron- came back from some nasty concussions, has played brilliant hockey for a long time, and that injury list.. good god..

Who's the dude who scored a GWG on a broken leg? Long time ago, old school hockey.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah I don't even physically know how that is possible. Broken bones in hands and legs can be masked with injections by freezing it. How you play with a collapsed lung though, at the NHL level? **** me.

there is a huge difference between things hurting like a broken bone or acl vs suffocation.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
Curt Schilling... and it's not even close to close. He had a bloody sock. A BLOODY SOCK!!!

Oh wait, that's baseball where people skip games because they sneezed too hard and strained their backs.

Babooch

Jan 7, 2014
I hate the Bruins but have always loved Bergeron- came back from some nasty concussions, has played brilliant hockey for a long time, and that injury list.. good god..

Who's the dude who scored a GWG on a broken leg? Long time ago, old school hockey.
Bobby Baun. Left on a stretcher came back on broken leg to score in OT.

What's the best NBA injury story? Hangnail?

Reactions: robsenz

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
there is a huge difference between things hurting like a broken bone or acl vs suffocation.

ACL is still pretty major- agreed that Bergeron is on another level, but I still give Thornton credit for playing through that. Played like poo, but that's what happens when you're on one skate and one glorified stilt.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
If I remember correctly Gaborik played through a torn labrum in his shoulder for pretty much the entire playoffs until the NYR were eliminated in the ECF. That's just insane. It's not Bergeron collapsed lung insane but the pain was probably agonizing

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
ACL is still pretty major- agreed that Bergeron is on another level, but I still give Thornton credit for playing through that. Played like poo, but that's what happens when you're on one skate and one glorified stilt.

shawn merriman played with a torn acl, playing with a torn acl isnt that big of a deal. its stupid, but its not like you can do more damage to the knee. A collapsed lung you can f***ing die. The two aren't even in the same stratosphere.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Didn't Bob baun break his foot in game 6 and then keep his skate on because he knew he'd never get his foot back in it and then played game 7?

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Andrew Ladd finished the 2014-2015 season while playing with a sports hernia, and it doesn't look like he ever really recovered from it. Getzlaf also played through a similar injury at the same time, but his didn't require surgery to fix.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dec 17, 2018
shawn merriman played with a torn acl, playing with a torn acl isnt that big of a deal. its stupid, but its not like you can do more damage to the knee. A collapsed lung you can ****ing die. The two aren't even in the same stratosphere.

It is a big deal. You can do more damage. Never said the two were in the same stratosphere, but poo-pooing a torn acl is wrong as well.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Didnt wayne simmonds play with atear in his pelvic area, fractured ankle, pulled groin, busted mouth where he lost 6 teeth and the torn ligament in his thumb? It was like 2 years ago

Reactions: solidprospect

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Ryan Callahan, where do I start...

Played rest of game against Boston in 2011 with broken ankle after blocking a Chara shot.
Played through the 2012-13 season with a torn labrum shoulder
Played 24 hours after having Appendix removed in the 2015 playoffs.
Played most of the 2015-16 season with a torn hip
Played most of the 2017-18 season with a torn labrum shoulder

Reactions: SillyRabbit

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
Not the worst, but here’s what Ovi’s leg looked like 3 weeks after being cheapshotted by Kadri (?) in R1 in 2017. Played on it the rest of R1 and R2.

ovechkin-injury.jpg

And Backstrom’s broken finger he played with through R3 and R4 in 2018.

nicklas-backstrom-finger.jpg

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
In the Philly-Chicago series, Chris Pronger said he was day to day with hurt feelings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad