Worst goal given up by a goalie so far?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Here's a candidate from Rask. A severe angle and from long distance. Looked like a PoP attempt if anything, and it looks like it was going wide of the far post.

Any worse ones so far?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hellebuyck's is the weakest of the season so far...has a good chance of staying that way, too. Gotta love/hate those cross-ice flukes that just takes the worst possible bounce.

Well, no matter the bounce, if the goalie handles it correctly those are trivial to save. Hellebuyck just was being lazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hn777

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Well, no matter the bounce, if the goalie handles it correctly those are trivial to save. Hellebuyck just was being lazy.

Not excusing it, just giving the reason why those kinds of goals happen. They usually happen off of faceoffs far from net and catch the goalie off guard (usually involving a weird bounce/roll from the puck). Way too old for this thread, but the example that always pops to mind first for me is Max Talbot's 1st career goal coming off a center ice line-change dump that went in while he wasn't even looking because Antero Niittymäki was watching a Peter Forsberg highlight on the jumbotron when the puck was dropped (as were the announcers).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Shesterkin has been the last number of games but he gave up two stinkers on like 4 shots to the Pens earlier this season that lost them the game.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
For your consideration:

The Barrie goal gave me flashbacks to the 80s and goalies struggling to stand back up thanks to their water-logged Coopers after accidentally falling to their knees. Absolutely brutal technique, read, everything. Blech. I almost wanted them to take it off the board right after, it was so tragic.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not excusing it, just giving the reason why those kinds of goals happen. They usually happen off of faceoffs far from net and catch the goalie off guard (usually involving a weird bounce/roll from the puck). Way too old for this thread, but the example that always pops to mind first for me is Max Talbot's 1st career goal coming off a center ice line-change dump that went in while he wasn't even looking because Antero Niittymäki was watching a Peter Forsberg highlight on the jumbotron when the puck was dropped (as were the announcers).

Yeah, that's exactly it. If the goalie gets close enough and covers the net correctly, even a bounce's not going to get past him and into the net. It requires the goalie to play it incorrectly, that's why I personally wouldn't forgive the goalies or shrug it off as "bad bounce", it was a mistake and needs to be seen as one.

The funniest one must be Toskala's.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Hogberg has been hilariously bad. Even worse than Matt Murray.

I’ll have to look through some of my softy of the night goals and come back later with some contributions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad