Worst Game Developer of all time

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Accolade, the home of the god awful Bubsy series including Bubsy 3D

Accolade had a lot of great titles, especially in the sports and simulations categories. They had the best driving series (Test Drive) and baseball series (Hardball) for many years. They also had the popular Jack Nicklaus golf series and the acclaimed Star Control strategy series. Maybe they really messed up when they tried their hand at platform games and other categories not up their alley, but I wouldn't call them a bad developer by any stretch, because of the great success that they had at what they were good at.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Still sticking with Ion Storm.

All they **** talk and wasted money just to put out Dakitona

Yea but Deus Ex though.

edit: And Thief! They weren't that bad. But yea, Daikatana was a Peter Molyneux type of disappointing.

Last edited:

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Rockstar is the best

Rockstar just feels stale to me. Maybe I'm just getting bored of sandbox games but I thought GTA 4 & 5 weren't that great and I still don't get the appeal to RDR. There's just so little to do in that game, never understood why so many people think it's good. Even more confusing to me is how many people I've seen flat out call it the greatest game of all time.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Yea but Deus Ex though.

edit: And Thief! They weren't that bad. But yea, Daikatana was a Peter Molyneux type of disappointing.

They were run like a total **** show. Romero taking out stupid ads. Spending their entire budget on expensive offices so they could live like rock stars, and Daikatona is the game they fart out.

Every company has some bad games, but to be a WOAT you either need to have published some epically bad games, have some awful business choices and practices, or both.

Sined

The AndroidBugler!
Jun 25, 2007
Ubisoft
Especially Ubisoft Montreal
Complete incompetence
It's a wonder how that place is even still in business

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
343 Industries. Rest in peace Halo once 343 Industries took over.

As far as story and single-player campaign, yeah.

The core mechanics (movement, weapon feel, balance, etc) in Halo 5 are the best in the series. That made the MP great despite mediocre map design and a lack of mode variety.

Ubisoft
Especially Ubisoft Montreal
Complete incompetence
It's a wonder how that place is even still in business

Can't speak to their recent output but Ubisoft Montreal is pretty much singularly responsible for keeping Ubisoft relevant and solvent through the 00s.

EDIT:

Far Cry 3 and 4 are godly.

Watch Dogs - Original was mediocre. Sold a ****ton. Sequel apparently very good.

Rainbow Six Siege is apparently very good and is making a ton of money through micro-transactions.

For Honor is apparently great.

Really their only recent **** up was AC Unity.

Last edited:

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Ubisoft'a problem in my eyes is they have a bad habit of releasing broken games.

Also have a bad habit of releasing half fulfilled games with the promise of giving what they originally promised in sequels.

I think they have one of the worst track records of playing up the graphics in their trailers over the actual release game.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Rockstar just feels stale to me. Maybe I'm just getting bored of sandbox games but I thought GTA 4 & 5 weren't that great and I still don't get the appeal to RDR. There's just so little to do in that game, never understood why so many people think it's good. Even more confusing to me is how many people I've seen flat out call it the greatest game of all time.

I feel like I could change a few words around here and wind up saying the same thing about The Witcher III. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I feel like I could change a few words around here and wind up saying the same thing about The Witcher III. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

You have to at least appreciate the production value of games like GTA, RDR, and Witcher 3. Just the sheer scale of the things, and how well almost every aspect of the game holds up. Rockstar and CD Project are probably the two best, most consistent developers out there right now. They take their time and release games when they're ready. Blizzard could probably fit in there too. Valve if they ever get around to making games again. Short list.

The industry needs fewer monoliths like EA and Ubisoft.

I actually dislike Double Fine for abandoning DF9 as quickly as they did. Never giving Tim Schafer another dime. That **** is still up for sale on Steam.

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
Screw anyone in here saying turok sucked. 1 and 2 were DOPE.

Worst developer - ubisoft.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Ubisoft is pretty terrible. Coming off of the heels SH4, I fully expected SH5 to be the greatest SH title yet, sadly it was not to be.

I'm not going to go into detail on how they ****ed up as the problems have been and are widely published.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Not sure about developer, but Acclaim was shorthand for '****ty games' during my youth in the 90s.

I'll not have this.

re-volt-usa.jpg

There was some ghastly developer who put out awful PS1 games when I was about twelve which were sold exclusively (it seemed) in the local supermarket. I'm going to try and find them. Actually, aha! As I was typing I remembered. Midas. Which I've now realised is a publisher rather than a developer, but since I impressed myself remembering that I'm going to share it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midas_Interactive_Entertainment

Smoke

~consume enhance replicate~
Aug 2, 2005
PA
If it wasn't for Borderlands, would Gearbox still be making games?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Many in this thread need to learn the difference between developer and publisher.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Understandable. GTA iv has a better story but gta v beats it in everything else

Red dead redemption had the best multiplayer I think. And an amazing story. Bully is a fantastic game really underrated. Max Payne 3 was great. They do need to flesh out the game more though. Killing cops is pretty boring

I hope online mode doesn't take away from anything. Because that gets super repetitive and boring

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
Understandable. GTA iv has a better story but gta v beats it in everything else

Red dead redemption had the best multiplayer I think. And an amazing story. Bully is a fantastic game really underrated. Max Payne 3 was great. They do need to flesh out the game more though. Killing cops is pretty boring

I hope online mode doesn't take away from anything. Because that gets super repetitive and boring

Yeah, I give them credit, from a technical standpoint, they certainly are very detailed. I still can't believe how well optimized GTA V was on PC and how good it looked. I heard a patch messed some things up, I stopped playing it after about 30 hours. No idea if that got fixed.

I should give Max Payne 3 a go though. Maybe they'll be like Bethesda to me. I don't like their open world RPGs but I love all their other stuff.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
You guys ever hear of Active Enterprises? Because they are easily the worst. They made the Action 52 for the NES, which is easily the biggest piece of crap ever produced. Most of the games are unplayable and/or incomplete. Oh, and it was $200 MSRP back in the early 90s. These other developers don't even come close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad