Worst DC returning to Green Bay next season

rkwittem

May 13, 2013
Fargo, ND
Let's review Capers play off brilliance:

- Refuses to spy Kaepernick and gets torched by running yards all game long.
- Plays prevent defense against Russell Wilson by.. letting him escape the pocket and giving one on one coverage down field
- Doesn't have anyone covering Larry Fitzgerald in ****ing OVERTIME
- Does not disguise blitzes vs Ryan and has one on one coverage with Julio Jones with a rookie practice squad CB

1. You can't spy all game because that is one less guy in coverage or rushing the passer.

2. Prevent is a soft zone defense. There is no man-to-man principle in it. That game was not Dom Capers' fault. They gave up one score on a fake FG. McCarthy and to a lesser degree Rodgers deserve primary blame for that loss. Rodgers threw a boneheaded INT to Sherman in the EZ that took away a sure FG and possible TD on the drive after a fumbled kickoff. Plus, he missed an open Jordy Nelson later in that half and forced them to settle for another FG- a 4-pt swing if you're doing the math at home.

3. The Fitzgerald play was zone coverage. The play was a bust. I'm not going to claim to have all the answers on why it messed up (it could be anything from young players to poor communication, etc.). The 4-5 missed tackles on the play were Capers' fault, too?

4. I'm not going to bother addressing this. GB was living on borrowed time as the 2nd half of the Cowboys game showed. They needed to be spotted a 3-score lead plus a Rodgers miracle throw to escape Dallas with a win.

Except that it is the coaching. Seriously, Ask Madden would do a better job.

Each call is an exercise in face palming.

Wrong. Players make coaches for the most part. That's why Barry Switzer has a SB ring. McCarthy got his because his defense had a bunch of really good players- Woodson, Cullen Jenkins, Clay Matthews in his prime, Nick Collins, plus a 4-deep stable of WRs around Rodgers. Not every defensive coordinator is Rod Marinelli, who takes chicken **** and turns it into chicken salad. The fact that Dallas had a top-20 defense with that level of talent on that side of the ball is a testament to his cleverness. That's just one example of several I could go with. I realize that there are other factors that play into it, but for simplicity's sake, that's the example I'm going with.

The bottom line for me is that Jimmies and Joes are much more important than X's and O's. Any coach in the NFL can draw up a gameplan and scheme on a greaseboard. But if you've got crappy players, you get the results GB keeps getting.
Their front office has failed the coaching staff by continually forcing them to re-teach and develop a ton of rookies every summer when the continuity is what they need to properly develop as a team. You can't keep resetting to zero every offseason or everyone in the league will have the book on how to beat you unless you can simply out-talent them.

What other coaches in the league could consistently get tasked with that much responsibility every and last that long? Not many. Capers has already shown he can be highly successful when he has a lot of talent to work with...not the usual collection of spare parts, backups to injured players, and UDFAs he's had lately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad