Worst Cup Winning Team, Roster Wise.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Hey, new game, everybody take a shot every time somebody starts a thread just to run down the 06 Hurricanes

Jaromir Blogger

Oct 15, 2014
Yeah, the 37-38 Hawks have to be up there.

I agree that the 02-03 Devils weren't as strong as the 94-95 Devils. The earlier squad may not have had a ton of sexy names up front, but that defense was phenomenal and the depth and grit - peppered with timely clutch guys like Claude Lemieux - was really excellent. That was one heck of a squad, all told.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think the '06 Hurricanes. Brind' Amour, Staal, Stillman, Cullen and Cam Ward carried that team and just barely won.

The 06 canes caught a few big breaks, but the roster was loaded with good forwards.

A prerequisite to stanley champions is having a high end centre or two. In that regard, staal and brindamour was an impressive duo. Add in Williams, stillman, Cole, whitney, weight, and recchi around those guys, and that's certainly championship caliber.

I can't say the same about the roster on defense though.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
anyone saying the 2012 Kings are so ridiculously out of touch with reality.

They essentially had two first lines, a top 5 dcore in the league and at the time a top 3 goalie.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Let me guess, you're one of those people who comments "disgusting" on a Facebook video of an owner yelling at his dog who ripped up the sofa.

Let me guess, you're one of those people who uses Facebook

Also, holy moly, what a non-sequitur, I can't imagine what kind of a mind draws a connection from one post to that scenario

Also, if you don't like your thread being criticized, don't post it.

Canucks5551

Jun 1, 2005
To me it has to be the Vancouver millionaires. They took advantage of the opposition being very weak and essentially some fluky bounces in the finals. Now they have a legacy but it's nowhere near the other cup champions. Most people never considered them to be the best, just a good team that got hot. I think when you take into consideration the fact that they never had star power also hurts them. I remember even their fans not over rating them on here.

Excuse me? What about Cyclone Taylor?

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
The 06 canes caught a few big breaks, but the roster was loaded with good forwards.

A prerequisite to stanley champions is having a high end centre or two. In that regard, staal and brindamour was an impressive duo. Add in Williams, stillman, Cole, whitney, weight, and recchi around those guys, and that's certainly championship caliber.

I can't say the same about the roster on defense though.

Regular Season
Weight: 23GP 13P -6
Recchi: 20GP 7P -8

Playoffs
Weight: 23GP 16P -3
Recchi: 25GP 16P -5

Hardly existent in the regular season (I know they were traded), solid in the playoffs. I would say those guys were basically just veterans at that point. I would hardly include them as "good" in terms of talking about a Stanley Cup winning roster. They basically had 1 elite player, 4 good forwards, a bad defense, and below average goaltending until Ward decided to show up in the playoffs.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Regular Season

Playoffs

Hardly existent in the regular season, solid in the playoffs. I would say those guys were basically just veterans at that point. I would hardly include them as "good" in terms of talking about a Stanley Cup winning roster. They basically had 1 elite player, 4 good forwards, a bad defense, and below average goaltending until Ward decided to show up in the playoffs.

16 points each is pretty significant though. Do the Canes win the cup without acquiring Weight and Recchi? I'm not so sure.

It's one of the rare instances where loading up at the trade deadline really paid off.

IMO it's Carolina's defense that has them being brought up so much in this conversation. It was a real unheralded crew:

D Frantisek Kaberle
D Bret Hedican
D Aaron Ward
D Mike Commodore
D Glen Wesley
D Niclas Wallin

And then you have Cam Ward coming out of nowhere.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I don't get this...2006 Canes were legit all year. It's easy to look at the Canes and think otherwise, but that one year they were solid.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
A two time Cup winner with the same core is not one of the worst teams to win in NHL history.

fact of the matter is they were the worst regular season team (record-wise) to win the Cup (post expansion anyway)

Yes they steamrolled their way through the playoffs with a very hot goalie, but through 82 games they didnt prove to be a great team by any means.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I don't get this...2006 Canes were legit all year. It's easy to look at the Canes and think otherwise, but that one year they were solid.

People seem to like to ignore the fact that they were one of the best, most exciting teams all season long. The way people talk it's as if they snuck into the playoffs like in 01/02 because of winning a crappy division despite having less points than some teams who were left out of the playoffs.

Course on top of that there are still hundreds of [MOD] Habs, sabres and oilers fans.

That 06 team will never get the respect they deserve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
86/93 Habs... thank God for Roy

2003 Devils, 2/3 of their top defensemen were pretty much out of gas at that point

2006 Canes were actually very deep if you look at their roster.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Regular Season

Playoffs

Hardly existent in the regular season (I know they were traded), solid in the playoffs. I would say those guys were basically just veterans at that point. I would hardly include them as "good" in terms of talking about a Stanley Cup winning roster. They basically had 1 elite player, 4 good forwards, a bad defense, and below average goaltending until Ward decided to show up in the playoffs.

You can scratch out Weight and Recchi if you want, but its still an impressive crop of forwards, and as I said, it starts at center. Staal and Brind'amour was a very good duo to build around. Teams that win cups are very strong at that position.

The biggest reason I added Weight and Recchi is because of their name, but they were deadline acquisitions and the canes were steaming along without them too.

I think we are on the same page regarding the defense. Its not really impressive. As for goaltending, I seem to recall Gerber being pretty good, until the playoffs started. Then Ward came in and surprises everyone with his play.

Overall, a very good crop of forwards, an okay defense, and surprisingly good goaltending.

Last edited:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I'm sure the Canes had a nice roster but they only won the cup because Buffalo lost their entire blue line to injury and then they played an Eight seed who had to play their third string goalie.

And both still took seven games.

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
2012 Kings had the best defense you will ever see in a cap world. Their offense was stacked too with Kopitar , Carter , Richards , Stoll down the middle . They should definitely not be mentioned

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm sure the Canes had a nice roster but they only won the cup because Buffalo lost their entire blue line to injury and then they played an Eight seed who had to play their third string goalie.

And both still took seven games.

Well, there was also round 1 where the habs lost Koivu because of a stick to the eye from Justin Williams. The Canes were down 2-0 in the series at that point.

I'm not denying that they caught some fortunate breaks, but their forwards were still impressive all year long as far as I'm concerned.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad