• Andrew Ladd 5.500M 7 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Okay once again, no more requests, I asked in the 1st Forum and the list is set, I dont agree with all the choices either, because even if I did add all these players (ala Lecailver, Weber, Ryan, etc) I mean were already at #9, the list wouldn't be legit. So with that out of the way, last poll was a tight race between Parise and Price, but Parise had just 2 more votes than Price to be #8.

#1. Rick DiPietro 63.7%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-1.2538143/
#2. Alexie Yashin 29.7%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-2.2538497/
#3. David Clarkson 23.6%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-3.2539023/
#4. Bobby Holik 30.9%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-4.2539897/
#5. Ville Leino 20.3%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-5.2540273/
#6. Scott Gomez 27.5%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-6.2540905/
#7. Ilya Bryzgalov 25.8%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-7.2541431/
#8. Zach Parise 32.7%
https://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/worst-contracts-of-all-time-8.2541721/#post-149597261

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
David Clarkson went at #3, and Nathan Horton isn't even an option yet. If I remember correctly it was similar contracts with similar results.

There's no argument for Carey Price here. He's had one bad year, and might still be an elite goalie going forward. His contract really hasn't hurt his team either, despite the myth. Montreal has cap space. Their problem is they don't have good players worth paying.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
David Clarkson went at #3, and Nathan Horton isn't even an option yet. If I remember correctly it was similar contracts with similar results.

There's no argument for Carey Price here. He's had one bad year, and might still be an elite goalie going forward. His contract really hasn't hurt his team either, despite the myth. Montreal has cap space. Their problem is they don't have good players worth paying.

Horton went on LTIR pretty much immediately wasn't his fault it was the injuries.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Horton went on LTIR pretty much immediately wasn't his fault it was the injuries.

It wasn't immediately. And I'm not sure "fault" is necessary to make this list. Clarkson took about a year longer to go on LTIR, if I remember correctly, and from the same back ailment.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
The Jeff Finger contract never made sense. It was the result of the Leafs' failure to research the player properly.

In 2008, the Leafs signed 28-year-old, career minor-league, defensive defenceman Jeff Finger to a four-year, $3.5 million AAV contract after his first full NHL season with the Colorado Avalanche. At the time, he had only played in parts of two seasons with Colorado. The equivalent contract relative to the 2018-19 salary cap would be $4.9 million AAV.

He only played 105 more games in the NHL before the Leafs waived him. He retired two seasons later.

Imagine your team signing a minor-league defenceman to a four-year, $5 million AAV contract in 2018 after his first full NHL season.

Down Goes Brown: Who is Jeff Finger and why are we paying him $14M?
Jeff Finger seemed like he was going to be a career AHL guy until an injury to the Avs earned Finger a call-up late in the 2006-2007 season. He played well and ended up playing 72 games this year, averaging 20 minutes a game.

He's your basic stay-at-home banger. He led the team in hits and he blocks a lot of shots (something the Avs blueliners do a lot). He doesn't fight much, although he apparently has a history with new Ranger Aaron Voros that goes back several years in the AHL. After nearly getting hit in the eye this year with a skate or a stick (I can't remember), he started wearing a visor, but Grapes will probably still like him for the way he likes to get involved in all the little scrums in front of the net.

He's not very fast and isn't so great with the puck, but he does have a good hard right-handed shot that always seems to find it's way to the net, so he could put up some good numbers on the PP.

In short, he's a great guy to have and when the Leafs buy him out in a couple of years, I'd love to see him back in Colorado (we seem to be taking all your rejects these days). $3.5 million is too much money, but if you can get over that, you'll be happy. He's not going to turn the franchise around.

Toronto fans don't ever complain about overpaid, defensemen who like to wear mohawks, right? (Did I forget to mention the mohawk?)

Last edited:
Reactions: DominicBoltsFan

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
didn't Federov have a stinker of a contract. bit of a recency bias in this poll.

After a lengthy holdout to start the 1997–98 season, Fedorov, a restricted free agent, signed an offer sheet with the Carolina Hurricanes worth up to $38 million, including bonuses. The Red Wings matched the offer on February 26, 1998, ending Fedorov's holdout. The offer included $14 million for signing and $2 million for 21 regular season games. However, the most controversial part of the contract was a $12 million bonus payable immediately if Fedorov's team reached the 1998 conference finals—at the time, Detroit was already a Stanley Cup contender while Carolina was almost certain to miss the playoffs, so the clause was criticized for creating an unfair disadvantage for Detroit. Nevertheless, the Red Wings matched the offer and paid the bonus. The $28 million Detroit paid Fedorov for 43 total games in 1997–98 is the largest single season amount paid to an NHL player. Fedorov led the playoffs in goals and helped the Red Wings win their second consecutive Stanley Cup that season.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Went with Redden, by a million miles. I voted for him at #6.

- He was getting old, already 31 when he signed the deal.

- The contract would take him to age 37!

- 6.5 is a lot even now for someone who isn't top pairing guy. But this was literally a decade ago (2008).

- Everyone knew it was a bad deal at the time.

- He played way under expectations. He declined into an AHL'er in under 2 years.

- Ended up bought out.

- NHL rules even needed to be adjusted to close the "bury him in the minors" loophole that was first used on him.

It was a failure across the board.

Last edited:

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Suter and Parise are half way through their 7.3m, 13 year contracts. They may not be the worse contacts in history but might be worse we see going into the 2020s due the 8 year limit.

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
I mean, before the cap it didn't really matter if players had a bad contract if the team didn't have problems paying it. Contracts post-cap introduction are far more crippling to a team, and therefore worse.

cap does have impact but dollars per performance is another way to look at contracts? holik as an example.

we tend to forget some of the lousy contracts of the past.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fedorov contract was fine.

It was just heavily front-loaded (28M in first calendar year), but 6.33M per year for 6 years in 60-70M payroll era.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009

How is DP number one then? Wasn't his fault, it was the injuries. He was an All-Star goalie that started in the OLY.

Btw, DP's contract sucks, but Hortons does too.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00