• Andrew Ladd 5.500M 7 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
It honestly does my heart warm to see Luongo nowhere near this list (and rightfully so, given his performance since everyone called his contract an albatross and arguably the worst contract of all time).

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Still Leino. I think the Weber contract should be up there as an option sometime soon. If he retires before the age of 41, the Preds are doomed, and with an $8-million cap hit, he won't be cheap to keep on the roster if he decides to hang them up.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

Reactions: iSophagus

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
I want to see the contracts as a % of cap when they were signed. Finger would be something like $5m/year now, which is insane for a guy who was a fringe NHLer.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I want to see the contracts as a % of cap when they were signed. Finger would be something like $5m/year now, which is insane for a guy who was a fringe NHLer.

Finger's points per game in his leafs career were almost identical to Leino's while he was with Buffalo. And Finger was supposed to be a stay-at-home defenceman, while Leino was supposed to be a top line scorer.

Finger's 2 seasons with Toronto: 105 games, 33 points (.31 ppg)
Leino's 3 seasons with Buffalo: 143 games, 46 points (.32 ppg)

Finger belongs on this list at some point. But the difference between him and most other guys on the list is that he was just overpaid. He still did his job as a 3rd pair defender about as well as anyone expected him to. He played a safe, uneventful style. He was just paid a million or 2 more than what that role is worth.

But other guys on this list were expected to be something and contribute something that they never did. Number one defencemen, team capains, starting goalies, franchise forwards. And they blew it, while also being overpaid, and signed for two, three, or even five times longer. Richards, Redden, Bryzgalov, Gomez, Semin. These guys should all go before Finger.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Still Leino. I think the Weber contract should be up there as an option sometime soon. If he retires before the age of 41, the Preds are doomed, and with an $8-million cap hit, he won't be cheap to keep on the roster if he decides to hang them up.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

Am I reading that right? If Weber retires in 2025-26 the Preds eat a twenty four million dollar cap-recapture penalty?

I remember some of these figures when they came out after the new CBA changes, but I sure didn't remember this! That could end their entire season, or force a change to the entire system league-wide.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Am I reading that right? If Weber retires in 2025-26 the Preds eat a twenty four million dollar cap-recapture penalty?

I remember some of these figures when they came out after the new CBA changes, but I sure didn't remember this! That could end their entire season, or force a change to the entire system league-wide.
Correct. Although, I would bet that if that situation ever came to pass the NHL would step in and fix it, much like when they reduced the penalty against NJ for signing Kovalchuk to the circumvention contract (penalty was a fine, a 2011 3rd pick, and a future 1st round pick - NJ deffered the 1st round pick until the NHL quietly modified the penalty to move the Devils 2014 1st rounder to 30th overall rather than take it entirely).

EDIT: Also, obviously in that case it would make more sense for Nashville to take Weber back for free (assuming Montreal didn't try to rake them over the coals) and just have him burn a $8-million dollar roster spot for the year and stay at home if he wanted to retire.

Last edited:
Reactions: iSophagus

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As a Rangers fan, Holik being 4th is beyond absurd. He's not even in the top 4 worst RANGERS contacts.

Speak of the devil, add Girardi.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad