• Andrew Ladd 5.500M 7 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Well, both of the amazing contracts that the legendary GM Mike Millbury gave out (I think) ended up being the Top 2 worst contracts of all-time according to HF, lol. Now for #3

1. Rick DiPietro 63.7%
2. Alexie Yashin 29.7%

EDIT* I’m not taking anymore suggestions, I asked in the first forum, took the few that people suggested, so the list is set. So please stop complaining that certain people aren’t in the list.

Last edited:

member 157595

Going with Redden this time. What a massive blunder of a contract.

Redden fell off a cliff so incredibly quickly. He was great for a time in Ottawa and within 2 or so years it's almost as if he forgot how to play.

It didn't help that Chara went on to win a Norris and Cup with the Bruins.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Some terrible nominations up there. Your "worst contract all-time" list only seems to start at about 2005 so maybe a headline edit is in order because I'm pretty sure there were plenty of bad contract signings in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. Your list is filled out with a bunch of guys who are just vet depth guys maybe being overpaid $1 million because of UFA bidding (Alzner, Brower, M. Staal). HFboards scapegoats of the month. Price's contract hasn't even started yet ffs.

A buyout should be a pre-requisite to being up there with very few exceptions. If you want to start revising your list I would suggest heading here to start: Buyout History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. Right off the bat you can see guys like Brad Richards, Erhoff and Lecavalier jump out pretty quickly but even then it doesn't seem to be complete because I see Chris Drury seems to be missing (although an easy nominee, unlike Jeff Finger, seriously? He's being paid peanuts in comparison).

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Some terrible nominations up there. Your "worst contract all-time" list only seems to start at about 2005 so maybe a headline edit is in order because I'm pretty sure there were plenty of bad contract signings in the 90s, 80s, 70s, etc. Your list is filled out with a bunch of guys who are just vet depth guys maybe being overpaid $1 million because of UFA bidding (Alzner, Brower, M. Staal). HFboards scapegoats of the month. Price's contract hasn't even started yet ffs.

A buyout should be a pre-requisite to being up there with very few exceptions. If you want to start revising your list I would suggest heading here to start: Buyout History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps. Right off the bat you can see guys like Brad Richards, Erhoff and Lecavalier jump out pretty quickly but even then it doesn't seem to be complete because I see Chris Drury seems to be missing (although an easy nominee, unlike Jeff Finger, seriously? He's being paid peanuts in comparison).

I think the idea is that the poll is for the cap era. Holik is the only one on the list that isn't, and it was colossal. If it's not limited to the cap era, then maybe it should be.

I agree, a lot of these contracts aren't terrible. But it's a start.

I think Leino should be next.

Reactions: Chris McKinlay

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Gotta go with Holik here. 9 million per year in the early 2000's? He was making McDavid money for crying out loud, and that was after 3 years since his last 60 point season. A 50 point top line guy worth 9 million.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Add Huet. Lost the starting job both years he was in Chicago, then given a one-way ticket back to France for the rest of his contract. The NHL literally had to change its rules regarding re-assignments because of him.

Reactions: iSophagus

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Add Huet. Lost the starting job both years he was in Chicago, then given a one-way ticket back to France for the rest of his contract. The NHL literally had to change its rules regarding re-assignments because of him.

I 2nd this!

Contract was bad, performance was bad, but the fact that he was "loaned" out of the league was the real kicker. This should be added. Some, like Alzner or Ladd, could be taken off for a few nasty byouts.

Also, I did a bit more research, and the Clarkson deal was worse than I remembered, and I'm a Leafs fan. He could easily go here at #3 or soon after.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina

I did ask for suggestions in the 1st forum, and no one mentioned them soo woopsies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It's gotta be Clarkson. In the 5 years since signing that deal has has scored a total of 30 points. He's made $958,000 for every point scored.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The Leafs signed a 37-year old Stephane Robidas, coming off two broken legs, to a 3-year deal worth $9 mil.

Not surprisingly, he played a total of 52 games with the Leafs before "retiring".

That said, perhaps to some in the Leafs' front office, his performance was well worth the price....they did give him his very own island, after all. :sarcasm:

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Ville "we missed out on brad Richards so we panicked" freaking leino...the gift that keeps on giving...why must I be reminded?!

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Considering where Chicago is with the cap, I'd say Seabrook. He's still one of the highest paid d-men in the league.

LongWayDown37

Mar 8, 2006
Ville "we missed out on brad Richards so we panicked" freaking leino...the gift that keeps on giving...why must I be reminded?!

Actually doesn’t look so bad in the context of this list. Yeah it was an awful deal but not really a crippling number like the rest of these.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Ville Leino, but situationally I think it could be Shea Weber. When he is between the age of 36-40 (2021-2016) you have to be thinking Nashville will be tugging on their collar a bit with that recapture formula. Imagine he wants to retire in '25/26 and Nashville is facing a $24-million cap hit penalty? They'd be forced to trade Montreal to acquire him, and then have him on the roster and just not play rather than him retiring.

Screen_Shot_2016-06-29_at_5.20.33_PM.0.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad