Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Ladd 5.500M 7 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sstroh84

May 28, 2015
Columbus, OH
Bryzgalov stands out to me in that they traded away Bobrovsky when they signed him and he busted big time. The contract didn't have the largest cap hit, but at the time was crazy for a goaltender. The fact that they bought him out in year 3 of the deal for $23M shows how terrible this signing was. They would rather pay him to go away which will include $1.6M being paid to him every year through 2027. Philly still has yet to find their goalie.

Last edited:
Reactions: Critical91

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Is this supposed to be looking back, or during the point the contract was handed out?

Last edited:
Reactions: Critical91

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Bryzgalov stands out to me in that they traded away Bobrovsky when they signed him and he busted big time. The contract didn't have the largest cap hit, but at the time was crazy for a goaltender. The fact that they bought him out in year 3 of the deal for $23M shows how terrible this signing was. They would rather pay him to go away which will include $1.6M being paid to him every year through 2027. Philly still has yet to find their goalie.

Hindsight is 20/20 i guess. I don't know if we're looking into these deals as being bad at the time (Lucic) or bad with hindsight (Bryz).

Reactions: Adtar02

c4rdsh4rk

Sep 17, 2007
wait. is that a typo? holik for 9 million? how is that not 1st? at least dipietro looked like a potential (high or low) franchise goalie at the time

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
wait. is that a typo? holik for 9 million? how is that not 1st? at least dipietro looked like a potential (high or low) franchise goalie at the time
Because money was irrelevant. No cap era. It was way too much money tossed at him, 45 /5 years (No average against the cap).

The contract was bad in the sense that it looks horrible for the GM and Holik wasn't worth the money spent, and the eventual buyout. In the sense that it hurt the team, can't say the contract played any part to that.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Wasn’t Jeff Finger signed by mistake? If so, him

I'm glad you asked, instead of just repeating things that aren't true. I'll copy and paste my normal reply to this misinformation:

That was just a gag from an old hockeybuzz article (found here)

Fletcher made a poor decision to give Finger that contract, but not because he got him mixed up with someone else. That article quotes Fletch and Ron Wilson singing praises for their new player. That is what they are expected to do. They went a bit overboard, saying "always on the ice against Joe Thornton" and all that, yes.

But just because there happened to be a player who statistically matched their trumped-up claims, doesn't come within a mile of meaning that Fletcher actually mistook Finger for that player.

That article even has a writers note at the bottom, explaining that the point of the article is that Fingers "accomplishments don't match up with how he's being sold to the fans through the Toronto media."

The Finger signing was a screw-up and a mistake. But not a mix-up or mistaken identity!

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
As for me, I voted Leino. I think it's the worst because everything about it was garbage from the start. By any metric, it was a bad contract.

6 year deal at 4.5 million at a time when the upper cap limit was 56! It was silly money, at a sillier term. It was clear that a new owner, Pegula, was throwing money around, even with no one worth throwing at.

Then add on that he had little to no track record at the time. He had only just had a 20 goal, 50 point season at like age 26. He was never a full-time NHL'er before that.

And then top it off with the fact that Buffalo brought him in to be a center, when he was clearly a winger. How often noes that work out? He was put in the best possible situation to fail. All the expectations and demands in the world put on the guy.

Then he crumbled spectacularly. 25 points in his 1st year in Buffalo, and that was as good as it would ever get. He was eventually bought out after complaining in the medial constantly, and putting in only 2 goals in 2 years.

On his way out the door, he called the organization "jail".

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Jeff Finger, cus he didnt do a THING in the NHL

add Eriksson

Finger's 2 seasons with Toronto: 105 games, 33 points (.31 ppg)
Leino's 3 seasons with Buffalo: 143 games, 46 points (.32 ppg)

Finger was burried in the minors to play out the last year on his contract. Leino had his remaining 3 years bought out, costing the Sabres $7.33 million.

Finger did almost as much as Leino, for a million cheaper, as a defenceman, playing one less year than Leino. And then he went away quietly, where as Leino cost millions of dollars and he threw dirt the whole time.

No way was Finger worse than Leino, or a handful of others on the list.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Holik. Guy was a very good player but not at that money. I think it was contracts like that that helped create the lockout in 2004-2005.

hilarnat

Jun 17, 2017
Some people (like me) might do basic research but not extensive. You should add date of signing and idk, paid amount of it?

Holik and Yashin are both horribles but while Holik is for sure a reason to that later lockout, the other is just ~16M down the drain... plus the reminder in the form of cap hit for a lot of years. Holik's contract was forgotten way more quicker.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
What about the 15 year 100 million dollar contract the Devils gave Kovalchuk? They're paying a recapture penalty until 2024-25.

17 year, 102 million, and they're only paying 250k of that. The annual hit would've been like 6'ish,.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad