Worst Commissioner In Sports History

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
kerrly said:
I'm not happy that the deal didn't get done, and last night was not too happy with Bettman. But since then I've carefully studied the NHLPA's proposal and I now see it for exactly what it is. Its not just the numbers that are keeping them apart, its the loopholes that Goodenow tried to sneak into the proposal.

Bingo. I wish the media (and even Gary in his PC) had made more of this.

I hate to be a sadistic, bestial, necrophile, that would be beating a dead horse but again:

Read the details of the last NHLPA - the numbers aren't nearly as close as has been talked about.

Yes the starting point ($49M) is only $6.5M away from the owners number - but read point #7 of Goodenow's letter:

7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

The players want linkage after all - but only when it's in their best interest. They want all the upside of linkage, without any of the risks of declining revenue.

And best of all, they pick 2005-06 as their base year, when everyone knowns revenues will be down, coming off the lockout and shortened season. It's not a bad guess that revenues next year may be down 10-20%. Over the course of the 6-yr deal, it would not be unreasonable to see revenues grow 20-30% from their 2005-06 lows, so that $49M cap is really a 63.7M cap by year 6 (not including the 10% exceptions - $70M+) - over %50 greater than the last offer.

On top of that, they get to pick the most advantageous deninition of revenue growth - either all reveunu or just gate & broadcasting, whichever works out better for them.

Quote:
NEW CBA DEAL POINTS

1. Term - 6 full seasons (through 9-15-11).

2. CBA System Incorporation of NHLPA December 9, 2004 proposal into the recently expired CBA, with indexing of financial provisions (per diems, etc.) at 2% per year, with the following additional changes requested by the NHL yesterday:

(a) Increased salary arbitration rights for Clubs -- to be agreed upon. Salary arbitration available after Player leaves Entry Level System.

(b) Cap on Exhibit 5 Individual B Performance Bonuses -- to be agreed upon.

(c) Replace NHLPA Revenue Sharing Plan with NHL Revenue Sharing Plan to share at least $88M in each year of the Agreement. Clubs may credit any payroll taxes paid against their revenue sharing contribution.

3. Team Payroll Limit - $49M in salary and bonuses

4. Minimum Team Payroll - $25M (each team can fall no more than 10% below only twice during term).

5. Minimum Player Salary - $300K (as per NHL Proposal)

6. Payroll Taxes - $40M - $43M (25%)
$43M - $46M (50%)
$46M - $49M (75%)
$49M - $53.9M (150%) only twice per team during 6 year term

7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

8. 2005 Playoffs 55% of playoff revenues to be paid to Players for the 2005 playoffs.

Nash

Jul 23, 2004
Vancouver
AM said:
Id say hes the best, and anyone who liked the Expos thinks the same thing.

You are right. Gary Bettman is looking out for the small market teams, Canadian franchises and working to get parity in the league so every team can compete ... oh wait a second, you are complete misinformed if you actually believe that!!!

Under Gary Bettman, the on ice product has gone stale and his rule changes have done nothing to foster the creativity and skill of the game. Winnipeg and Quebec lost their franchises. The NHL isn't even considered a top four sport in the USA anymore. The NHL cannot get a half decent TV deal in the US because the product has become so dull. The NHL has had 2 lockouts during his tenure and has now cancelled a season for the first time in NA professional sports. The NHL does a piss poor job of marketing their marquee talent across the league. Are you forgetting who signed the CBA in 1995 when it was believed the the owners had won those negotiations? Who was the commissioner whose office has to ratify all player contracts prior to them be finalized and could have disallowed rookie bonus clauses amongst other precidents that have harmed the intention of the last CBA? Which commissioner got permission from the governing body so that all he needed was 8 owners on his side to reject any CBA ratification (now that's democracy!)?

Gary Bettman has done little to nothing to improve the game of hockey during his tenure and needs to be fired. Even if he "wins" this negotiation, this has done immense damage to the league. I don't think Gary has any fans among the players in the league and absolutely no respect. How can he be the head of the league? There is no way he will be around by the time the next CBA expires ... if they ever sign one.

SPARTAKUS*

Nash said:
You are right. Gary Bettman is looking out for the small market teams, Canadian franchises and working to get parity in the league so every team can compete ... oh wait a second, you are complete misinformed if you actually believe that!!!

Under Gary Bettman, the on ice product has gone stale and his rule changes have done nothing to foster the creativity and skill of the game. Winnipeg and Quebec lost their franchises. The NHL isn't even considered a top four sport in the USA anymore. The NHL cannot get a half decent TV deal in the US because the product has become so dull. The NHL has had 2 lockouts during his tenure and has now cancelled a season for the first time in NA professional sports. The NHL does a piss poor job of marketing their marquee talent across the league. Are you forgetting who signed the CBA in 1995 when it was believed the the owners had won those negotiations? Who was the commissioner whose office has to ratify all player contracts prior to them be finalized and could have disallowed rookie bonus clauses amongst other precidents that have harmed the intention of the last CBA? Which commissioner got permission from the governing body so that all he needed was 8 owners on his side to reject any CBA ratification (now that's democracy!)?

Gary Bettman has done little to nothing to improve the game of hockey during his tenure and needs to be fired. Even if he "wins" this negotiation, this has done immense damage to the league. I don't think Gary has any fans among the players in the league and absolutely no respect. How can he be the head of the league? There is no way he will be around by the time the next CBA expires ... if they ever sign one.

Of course he doesn't have any fans among the players because he's saying NO to them you will not have want you want enough is enough!!!!

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
well you see

Nash said:

Bettman is trying to do something about that right now.

Currently, they have had to allow clutch and grab.... so that 20mill franchises can skate with 90mill franchises. After theres a cap they can stop that stuff.

Thats my point of view.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
kerrly said:
I'm not happy that the deal didn't get done, and last night was not too happy with Bettman. But since then I've carefully studied the NHLPA's proposal and I now see it for exactly what it is. Its not just the numbers that are keeping them apart, its the loopholes that Goodenow tried to sneak into the proposal.

As of right now, I still fully support Bettman and the owners decision, and this needs to be done. Bettman's legacy will be judged 10 years from now, and with foresight, the game will be better off under a new system and the oppurtunity to take the NHL to a new level will be there.
You took the words right out of my mouth.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Hasbro said:
I hate Bettman's guts, but I back him on this matter. I want him to resign a day after the CBA is signed.

I agree. I support their stance, but hes without a doubt been the worst thing ever for the NHL. He needs to be dropped 5 mins after the new CBA is signed.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Expanding on my comments Bettman is as popular as scurvy, yet the NHLPA couldn't turn fan sentiment against him. If the PA had tried to tackle issues like the quality of the game or safety, they would have drawn alot more water.

Says alot that they lost a popularity contest to Lil Gary.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
alexmorrison said:
The NHL will be a 10 team league in 3 or 4 years. After all the crap that's gone on, there's no way fans (especially those in marginal hockey places) are coming back.

So basically it is headed in the same direction as the league was prior to the lockout.

Maybe thats why it needs fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad