OT: Worst coaches in the NHL

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If we were to step back and try to take an objective view who would we name as the worst coaches now in the NHL?

I think Bylsma in Buffalo is probably worst. After him it gets a little tough. What about Rowe in Fla? After him is it Maurice? Who else would even be a candidate? Not trying to encourage some hyperbolic rants. Really wonder who people think are the weakest links among coaches.

Give me a few suggestions and I'll do a poll.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Rowe has to be up there. Maurice is up there for sure. I would've said Torts at one point but he is so crazy and so competitive, he really did change his attitude and really knows how to motivate people, which is the job when you boil it down. I don't think anyone respects Maurice or Rowe, that's why they are top of the list.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Depends on what your thoughts are on coaches with short shelf lives. Right this moment, or over last 5-10 years.

Boucher is doing real well in Ottawa, but he did his first year in Tampa too. Got ran out of town hard.

Torts would have probably garnered 80% of votes for worst NHL coach this past October. Criticism of him seems to have quieted for now.

To me, Maurice is pretty average. But I think everyone except a select few that have proven it in different cities. Quenneville, Sutter, Babcock basically.

Even Boudreau got canned less than 12 months ago.

I'd say given how badly things have gone, Maurice would be in the 18-23 range or so out of 30.

Even if Darryl Sutter was available and we fired Maurice, still not sure the Jets would shell out the 6 or 7 million it might take to pay him. Sad but true I think.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
These are the threads that scream.
"My coach is past his best before date with my team"
Therefore he sucks.
I'll second Blysma .....
Maurice has to be up there too.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Depends on what your thoughts are on coaches with short shelf lives. Right this moment, or over last 5-10 years.

Boucher is doing real well in Ottawa, but he did his first year in Tampa too. Got ran out of town hard.

Torts would have probably garnered 80% of votes for worst NHL coach this past October. Criticism of him seems to have quieted for now.

To me, Maurice is pretty average. But I think everyone except a select few that have proven it in different cities. Quenneville, Sutter, Babcock basically.

Even Boudreau got canned less than 12 months ago.

I'd say given how badly things have gone, Maurice would be in the 18-23 range or so out of 30.

Even if Darryl Sutter was available and we fired Maurice, still not sure the Jets would shell out the 6 or 7 million it might take to pay him. Sad but true I think.

I'm not asking for a Maurice rating (specifically) or most likley to be fired, etc, etc. Who would you put in that 23-30 range? Or even just 28-30?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
These are the threads that scream.
"My coach is past his best before date with my team"
Therefore he sucks.
I'll second Blysma .....
Maurice has to be up there too.

Well I only posted it on the Jets thread. :laugh: I'll take nominations from other fans but I'm looking for a list of about 8-10 candidates for a poll. If some individuals want to go by shelf life that's OK. That's what informs their opinion.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
Well I only posted it on the Jets thread. :laugh: I'll take nominations from other fans but I'm looking for a list of about 8-10 candidates for a poll. If some individuals want to go by shelf life that's OK. That's what informs their opinion.

Look at the bottom 10 teams and you've probably got a good start to that list. Jared Bednar certainly has to be considered for guiding the Avs to roughly half as many points as they had the year before. But for sheer year after year mediocrity while wearing a Teflon jacket, my vote is for Tippett.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Blashill, Hynes, Bednar. All coaches in the Noel category, doubt they ever get hired as NHL head coaches again. I'd also rank Desjardins and Hakstol well below Maurice.

Mo is in that same tier as guys like Bylsma, Carlyle, Therrien and Tippett. Proven mediocre.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'll toss Gulatzen in there, I know the Flames have had their hot spells, but .......I can't give him much credit. Not sure why all the internet hate for guys like Carlyle, Therrien etc. Those two are brilliant systems guys even in the modern game. IMHO.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Maurice is the gold standard of bad coaching!

You can use Maurice's name as the term for poor coaching decisions.

ex.; Ruff and the Stars were completely mauriced in the loss to Yeo and the Blues, people would know Ruff had done a poor job coaching that game!

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Maurice is the gold standard of bad coaching!

You can use Maurice's name as the term for poor coaching decisions.

ex.; Ruff and the Stars were completely mauriced in the loss to Yeo and the Blues, people would know Ruff had done a poor job coaching that game!
Lol Mauriced

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
I'd put tippet above average. He's managed to get some pretty ugly coyotes and rosters into the playoffs.

I don't know a tonne on coaching but the badddies would probably be

Hakstoll
Maurice
Bednar
Bkashill
Hayes
Row
Eakins (if he counts?)

The worst ones with more term (so not using Bei g fired as a sign)
Therrien
Carlyle
Maurice

Good ones that are probably underappreciated:
Beaudrou
Tippet

I have mixed feelings on yeo.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'd put tippet above average. He's managed to get some pretty ugly coyotes and rosters into the playoffs.

I don't know a tonne on coaching but the badddies would probably be

Hakstoll
Maurice
Bednar
Bkashill
Hayes
Row
Eakins (if he counts?)

The worst ones with more term (so not using Bei g fired as a sign)
Therrien
Carlyle
Maurice

Good ones that are probably underappreciated:
Beaudrou
Tippet

I have mixed feelings on yeo.
Carlyle is one of the sharpest hockey guys in the business. Alot of the lightweights can't handle him though. Clearly he doesn't work for everyone.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Carlyle is one of the sharpest hockey guys in the business. Alot of the lightweights can't handle him though. Clearly he doesn't work for everyone.

I'd put Carlyle in the top 5, he's proven over and again he can work with all talent levels. The Leafs were a brutal team, Reimer was not good and they took the stanley cup champions to game 7 OT with 3 defencemen and a lackluster group up front beyond Kessel, JVR and Bozak.

His Ducks this year were written off by many, they are one of the better teams in the league, the last 20 they've been super tight. I wouldn't want to play them in the playoffs. He's respected and on a completely different level than Maurice. His playoff record speaks for itself. Players respect him, the Ducks players actually requested his return.

In fact, Maurice and Huddy should look to Carlyle for lessons in bench management.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Blashill, Hynes, Bednar. All coaches in the Noel category, doubt they ever get hired as NHL head coaches again. I'd also rank Desjardins and Hakstol well below Maurice.

Mo is in that same tier as guys like Bylsma, Carlyle, Therrien and Tippett. Proven mediocre.

If Carlyle is mediocre, Mo shouldn't be coaching a blind water polo team.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Maurice never had the benefit of coaching a bunch of HOF players and one of the best top pairings in the history of the game.

Not sure if Phaneuf and Gardiner were one of the top pairings in history, or ever ;) Lol. But the Hurricanes did have high-end players and goalies in Maurice's time. Mo and Carlyle are not even comparable.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Not sure if Phaneuf and Gardiner were one of the top pairings in history, or ever ;) Lol. But the Hurricanes did have high-end players and goalies in Maurice's time. Mo and Carlyle are not even comparable.

No they didn't. Maurice had Sean Burke for a few seasons, closest thing he's ever had to a top netminder. Brind'Amour, Staal, O'Neill, old Francis, Skinner. Those are the best players Maurice had to work with in Carolina. I'm pretty sure Barney the Dinosaur could have coached a team with Niedermayer-Pronger to a championship.

Carlyle is good at coaching his teams into the possession basement with his "five man PK" defensive system.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

I do that know about recently but I know the last few years he was coaching he had bad impacts on team metrics (as much as you can isolate this stuff)

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
I do that know about recently but I know the last few years he was coaching he had bad impacts on team metrics (as much as you can isolate this stuff)

Um, the Leafs had glaring issues and he had a winning record with them despite that. The minute he left, they tanked. Players play for him. The only metric that matters in the end is Wins. The Ducks have a super young D core, younger than ours, yet they are tight as a drum. Amazing puck support in the D zone, move it quick. They look like a team ready for the playoffs. The Jets look like they're ready for the back 9 at St. Charles comparatively.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
No they didn't. Maurice had Sean Burke for a few seasons, closest thing he's ever had to a top netminder. Brind'Amour, Staal, O'Neill, old Francis, Skinner. Those are the best players Maurice had to work with in Carolina. I'm pretty sure Barney the Dinosaur could have coached a team with Niedermayer-Pronger to a championship.

Carlyle is good at coaching his teams into the possession basement with his "five man PK" defensive system.

Well good thing isolated possession numbers don't tell the whole story. You're basing that on the last season in Toronto? lol, the team he made competitive that was an AHL team? Besides, some of the top possession teams this year are performing horribly and there are lots of reasons for that.

Have you watched the Ducks? They are one of the better D teams in the league. Even with Bernier in net, he wasn't even good enough to play in Toronto last year.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2017/03/27/nhl-playoff-forecast-rains-on-corsis-parade.html

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013

Sean Burke, Tom Barasso, Cam Ward, and Arturs Irbe. Better than Carlyle ever had, although Giguere was great at times, he was going through a major family health issue and some injuries in their best runs, hence why Bryzgalov played some playoff games with them.

If you want to believe Mo is a better coach then Carlyle, I don't know what to tell you. Maurice is not respected, he was banished to Russia for a reason.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Never said Maurice was a better coach than Carlyle. They're both mediocre.

Irbe, Ward and ancient Barrasso better than Giguere? :laugh:

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
Never said Maurice was a better coach than Carlyle. They're both mediocre.

Irbe, Ward and ancient Barrasso better than Giguere? :laugh:

Better than Scrivens, Reimer, Emery(was on Ana as a filler), Bryz and Bernier yes. Giguere no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad