Worst cherry pickers

thefifthsedin*

In my day the term we used for cherry picking was bunny sucking.

the days, the days …

Is "cherry picker" synanomous to floater?? Why call floaters cherry pickers??

a cherry picker may be a definition of a floater who can score a lot. example … floater: ray sheppard, wendel clark, dave andreychuk … cherry picker: pavel bure, teemu selänne, wayne gretzky, brett hull

That Bure Federov comparison ranks as one of the greatest posts of all time.

it was a good one, but come mon … fedorov was a centre forward and bure a right winger, schooled practically on the same line in cska moscow the two naturally didn't play the same kind of game …

when fedorov and bure played on the same team while in nhl prime [read: 1998 nagano olympics with the russian national team, with fedorov in his 'legendary' white skates, and bure with 9 goals in 6 games] it was a great match … it's the same reason why bure scored 50+ goal seasons 5 times and fedorov 1 time, and the same reason why fedorov won selkes and bure didn't

pavel bure and sergei fedorov played hockey on different positions and played different kind of games …

Last edited by a moderator:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
a cherry picker may be a definition of a floater who can score a lot. example … floater: ray sheppard, wendel clark, dave andreychuk … cherry picker: pavel bure, teemu selänne, wayne gretzky, brett hull
What?! You must have some strange definition of what a floater is, because Clark was anything but (and for the record, I wouldn't call Andreychuk or Sheppard floaters either).

thefifthsedin*

What?! You must have some strange definition of what a floater is, because Clark was anything but

something in his appearance [perhaps his thick physique or his not so dazzling speed] reminds of a floating whale ;)

that's not to say he wasn't hardworking

Padan

Aug 16, 2006
something in his appearance [perhaps his thick physique or his not so dazzling speed] reminds of a floating whale ;)

that's not to say he wasn't hardworking

Or his terrible +/- rating - he was a minus player in 12 of his 15 NHL seasons (-129). :amazed:

Murph004

Aug 17, 2009
I'm going to say Mario Lemieux.

This is based almost entirely on one game I saw him play (which is unfair I guess).
It was in the late 80's in Detroit. My Dad had seasons tickets and I had been unable to see the Pittsburgh games the previous seasons so I was very excited to finally see Lemieux live.
It was sooo disappointing. Honestly, the only time he went in his own end was for faceoffs. The rest of the time, he spent curling in the neutral zone waiting for that break-away pass.

Analyzer*

How could Ray Sheppard have cherrypicked, given his (lack of) speed...?

Aww you changed your avy from the hot chick to that :(

Saying Sheppard is a cherry picker is like calling Jason Allison one, or Dimitri Kristiche (sp) some of the slowest players ever.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
The names mentioned may all be correct, but I do not see the point of this thread: Players with an outstanding scoring touch benefit their teams by focussing on their offensive play. Who would expect Gretzky or Bure to get worn up in defensive action, just to lose some of their essential sharpness. So one should at least separate those brilliant scorers, who contributed much in creating their own goals, from lesser-talented players, who got fed perfectly and simply converted.

Gruß,
BSHH

canucks4ever

Mar 4, 2008
I don't know why people keep saying Bure when he creates his own offense. The worst cherry picker would be somone that is nothing without the use of a linemate. Steve Shutt was decent but he fits the bill here, waiting for lafluer's rebounds is his claim to fame. Shutt in the hall of fame but not Ken Hogde, makes no sense to me.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
My definition of cherry picking:

- Someone that WAITS for a breakaway pass in the neutral zone while the rest of his team is playing defense. In some cases this player will be past the other team's defenders, depending on their coverage.

WG
The thread probably should have started with a definition of cherrypicking.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Aww you changed your avy from the hot chick to that :(
Well you changed from a good avvy to Saku yerself:laugh:

The old pic I kept as profile pic anyway. Besides, I contemplated using this too, and it's probably gonna be my next avvy.
sierrawhalerscanessmall.jpg

Saying Sheppard is a cherry picker is like calling Jason Allison one, or Dimitri Kristiche (sp) some of the slowest players ever.
Speaking of slow and floaters, I found Ziggy Palffy hilarious this season - he clearly lost several steps, but he floated like there's no tomorrow in spite of not being really fast anymore.

Analyzer*

Well you changed from a good avvy to Saku yerself:laugh:

The old pic I kept as profile pic anyway. Besides, I contemplated using this too, and it's probably gonna be my next avvy.
sierrawhalerscanessmall.jpg

Speaking of slow and floaters, I found Ziggy Palffy hilarious this season - he clearly lost several steps, but he floated like there's no tomorrow in spite of not being really fast anymore.

Another great avatar! :laugh:

Palffy probably thought he still had enough speed left that if he had a head start he could stay ahead of everyone.

jor

Sep 4, 2008
The absolute worst I've ever seen is Bure and noone else even comes close.

Gretzky, Lemieux, Hull were the next worst, imo.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wow 3 pages and no mention of Ilya Kovalchuk and barely any mention of Brett Hull. Bure goal sucked the most but he was the best at it. I dont think Nuck fans cared all that much about his goal suckin when he potted 60 back to back and neither did panther fans. I remember Ryan Smyth goal sucking in a few games i watched back in 98 lol...I was wondering why he was just hanging out at the other teams blue line.

thefifthsedin*

I'm still laughing at the idea of Bure shadowing Gretzky.

he wasn't shadowing anyone, that wasn't his job. but interestingly enough i found this on the pbfc site [on the western conference finals between vancouver canucks and toronto maple leafs in 94]

'also, with the canucks defending their one-goal lead in the final minute against a leaf team that had pulled its goalie, there was bure on the ice in a defensive posture, hounding centre doug gilmour. "i don't always use him that way," quinn [pat, vancouver coach] said with a smile. "it was just a hunch tonight. he's done it from time to time. i thought quickness was going to be an element, and he did get the puck a couple of times." '

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
Forcing Bure or Jagr to defend is huge wasting their talent.

What they bring on the table with their play in offensive zone is more than what they would do as a forwards with decent defense.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Lemieux early in his career.

Yeah early in his career he was the worst cherry picker lol..

Later on he got a lot better though.

And by the time he was playing for Canada in the Olympics I would have taken him playing on one leg over just about anyone. He really did evolve into a great team guy, didn't he?

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY

What they bring on the table with their play in offensive zone is more than what they would do as a forwards with decent defense.

I don't think this is necessarily true, nor is offense/defense necessarily an either or proposition for great players. Look at Fedorov's Hart season, for example.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010

I don't agree with this at all.

When your team doesn't have the puck what you can and can't do in the offensive zone doesn't really figure into the equation.

I think players like Jagr and Lemieux and Gretzky etc. can cheat defense more than the average forward for sure but that is only because they convert more chances. I still don't think they can totally forsake defense.

Reactions: GrizzGreen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad