Worst and Best Wild Line Ever

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
So, a main board thread got me thinking about the worst lines I've ever seen the Wild deploy. Currently our lines (especially the 4th) look amazing compared to back in the day. Feel free to get creative, too. Maybe you remember a particularly good PP or PK unit. Or a 3v3 unit.

For my worst entry, I can't remember if this line ever happened, or if I was just worried that it would:

Chris Simon - James Sheppard - Derek Boogaard

Then again, it was the day of Lemaire, so it probably had a shift.

Best:

Zucker - Koivu - Granlund

I'm not sure they're the most skilled one we've had, but they were certainly the most effective.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Best:
Whoever-Demitra-Gaborik

I think I've mentally blocked out a lot of the bad lines, though I'll say Warren Peters as 1st line center was traumatic.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Lamaire to Yeo to BB, with their philosophies make it hard to pick a best line.

I can't even pick a best line from last season:
Nino/Staal/Coyle-puck possession and scoring
Zucker/Koivu/Granny- defense and counter attack
Both were very good at their roles, but they complimented each other well so both could excel.

Darby Hendrickson was on some really bad lines, Stoll line was bad, the entire 11-12 FWD group was pretty bad (as a whole).

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Best:
Whoever-Demitra-Gaborik

I think I've mentally blocked out a lot of the bad lines, though I'll say Warren Peters as 1st line center was traumatic.

The season before when Demitra was on the wing was better. It gave Demitra freedom to get loose with Gaborik more often.

I think the Zucker - Koivu - Granlund is better though, simply the most effective line we've ever had. That Gaborik line may have scored more, but when you factor in defense and offense both, no other line comes close.

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
The season before when Demitra was on the wing was better. It gave Demitra freedom to get loose with Gaborik more often.

I think the Zucker - Koivu - Granlund is better though, simply the most effective line we've ever had. That Gaborik line may have scored more, but when you factor in defense and offense both, no other line comes close.

I can't disagree that that line is probably the best in Wild history. But, man, if that is the case is it any surprise that this franchise has had such dismal success? How many teams in the NHL would have their best line in the last 17 years be as weak as that one?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I can't disagree that that line is probably the best in Wild history. But, man, if that is the case is it any surprise that this franchise has had such dismal success? How many teams in the NHL would have their best line in the last 17 years be as weak as that one?
Weak as that one, yet it was quite possibly the best in the entire NHL last season.

Weak in terms of no single player is considered elite... but not weak in terms of what they actually bring to the ice.

It's a case of the total being greater than the sum of all it's parts.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Haha I was gonna say, who's gonna break out the Warren Peters top line? :laugh:

That was just mind bogglingly terrible. That's got to be the worst top line we've ever had.

Heatley-Peters-Setoguchi

I believe some or all of Koivu/Cullen/Brodziak were injured. It's things like this that have kept me from complaining about Koivu while others would rip him apart during that time.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Heatley-Peters-Setoguchi

I believe some or all of Koivu/Cullen/Brodziak were injured. It's things like this that have kept me from complaining about Koivu while others would rip him apart during that time.

I thought at one point it was Heatley Peters Johnson.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
That was just mind bogglingly terrible. That's got to be the worst top line we've ever had.

He had Heatley and Setoguchi as wings... no, there's been worse.

Scott fricken Pellerin was once considered this team's best overall player for goodness sake!

NonsenseElimination

Jan 1, 2016
Warren Peters! Oh how terrible that guy was! Staubitz was pretty bad too. He lost almost every fight I saw him in and that was his role.

I think it was Robbie Earl, Warren Peters, and Staubitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad