Worst 1st Round Draft Pick

Which was Minnesota's worst 1st round draft pick?

• Marian Gaborik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mikko Koivu

• PM Bouchard

• Brent Burns

• AJ Thelen

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Benoit Pouliot

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • James Sheppard

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Colton Gillies

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Tyler Cumba

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Nick Leddy

• Mikael Granlund

• Jonas Brodin

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zack Phillips

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Mathew Dumba

• Alex Tuch

• JEE

• Luke Kunin

• Filip Johansson

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Matthew Boldy

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Marco Rossi

• Jesper Wallstedt

• Carson Lambos

• Total voters

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
I remember shouting at my screen that we needed to take a chance on one of Saad, Rakell or Rattie. Obviously, two of those worked out better than the other, but all three were better than Phillips. Lesson of that draft: don't draft players in the 1st round that can't skate.
in 2011 I would have taken Rattie in a heartbeat over the three other

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I remember shouting at my screen that we needed to take a chance on one of Saad, Rakell or Rattie. Obviously, two of those worked out better than the other, but all three were better than Phillips. Lesson of that draft: don't draft players in the 1st round that can't skate.
Well, Lundell's skating was criticized pretty harshly.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well, Lundell's skating was criticized pretty harshly.
I meant truly bad skaters. Guys who lack the strength to protect the puck with their body, and don't have the speed or agility to make up for it.

That said, my viewings of Lundell made me think the skating criticism was a little overblown, and if it was that bad, he had the brains to always be in the right position, regardless (reminded me a little of Koivu). Seriously, he was always in the right position when I looked for him, and it was uncanny. I don't care how quickly you get to the right position, as long as you're in it at the right time. It's like the exact opposite of Matt Foy, a guy who used to skate nowhere really fast.

So yeah, I painted with a brush too broad in my original comment, for brevity's sake. Please don't mistake that for me thinking that I want a team of speedsters, like speed is the only thing that matters. It's definitely not.

ClayAikenFan77

Jan 1, 2016
Minneapolis
The Phillips pick was a bad one but he just had a 95p season with a good team and they probably thought he was at least a good bottom 6 that would stick for a while.

Hindsight is 20/20 but his linemate that year was Jonathan Huberdeau lol.

Honestly might be one of the best examples of a player riding someone's coattail that I've seen in hockey.

Reactions: 57special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad