Worst 1st Round Draft Pick

Which was Minnesota's worst 1st round draft pick?

• Marian Gaborik

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mikko Koivu

• PM Bouchard

• Brent Burns

• AJ Thelen

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Benoit Pouliot

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • James Sheppard

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Colton Gillies

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Tyler Cumba

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Nick Leddy

• Mikael Granlund

• Jonas Brodin

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Zack Phillips

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Mathew Dumba

• Alex Tuch

• JEE

• Luke Kunin

• Filip Johansson

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • Matthew Boldy

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Marco Rossi

• Jesper Wallstedt

• Carson Lambos

• Total voters

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's kind of weird, a few of the names are pretty gross (Thelen, Sheppard, Gillies, Phillips), but you actually have to go down the list pretty far to find the player that you'd rather have that actually might've been a bit of a franchise changer.

I'll go with Pouliot, not because he is the worst player on that list (he isn't) but because he was the highest pick of the bad names, and because Carey Price was a single pick later. Goalies in the first round notwithstanding, it would've solved any goalie issue we had from then until his big contract kicked in. Kopitar at #11 is probably closer to our pick than a lot of the other years as well.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's kind of weird, a few of the names are pretty gross (Thelen, Sheppard, Gillies, Phillips), but you actually have to go down the list pretty far to find the player that you'd rather have that actually might've been a bit of a franchise changer.

I'll go with Pouliot, not because he is the worst player on that list (he isn't) but because he was the highest pick of the bad names, and because Carey Price was a single pick later. Goalies in the first round notwithstanding, it would've solved any goalie issue we had from then until his big contract kicked in. Kopitar at #11 is probably closer to our pick than a lot of the other years as well.
Personally I look at Johansson. He was drafted higher than he should have and is one of only two players that the Wild did not sign in the first round.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Personally I look at Johansson. He was drafted higher than he should have and is one of only two players that the Wild did not sign in the first round.

Yeah, but we're probably going to get a 2nd rounder out if it, and how many game-changers were taken after him. I see nary a one.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, but we're probably going to get a 2nd rounder out if it, and how many game-changers were taken after him. I see nary a one.
A lot of them haven't made it to the NHL yet.

Romanov would have been nice; it would have also shored up depth somewhere else.

chchelseII

Sep 24, 2014
I’m with you Jan. As much as we like to bitch about the drafting, there are very, very few players taken after some of our “bad picks” that would have made our team better. Wonder if the guys drafting knew that all these guys had little to no chance of making the NHL.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
misread lol

Said Thelen cuz im a 67s fan and am biased cuz I loved Cuma's game.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Johansson, easily.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Thelen was supposed to be a decent pick at the time, he had a good freshman year at Michigan St., and then injuries derailed his pro career.

Johansson was a flat out bad pick at the time and he will never play for our organization at any level (Thelen was signed by us at one point).

Gillies scored at under half a point per game in his draft year. He never should have been taken that high in the first place, and his career wasn't derailed by injuries, he was just never any good.

Honestly though, any of Johansson, Gillies, Thelen or Phillips could fit depending on your criteria. I hesitate to list Cuma because I know for a fact he was good before all the knee injuries.

north21

May 1, 2014
MN
Lots of good choices in the 04 to 07 group but I went with Gillies, how you draft someone in the first round who can only muster 13 goals and 30 points in their draft year is just beyond me. You just kind of knew early on to set extremely low expectations.

Honorable mention to Johansson, at least Thelen and Phillips looked the part in Jrs and college.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I went with Thelen simply because he fell apart so thoroughly, and was picked just outside the top 10.

Phillips at least had an AHL career, however short and unspectacular, before going off to Europe, and Johansson is just recency bias. He's having a far better career than both Thelen and Phillips.

Cuma was an option too, but I have a hard time blaming the Wild. Injuries killed that poor kid's career.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, Thelen was supposed to be a decent pick at the time, he had a good freshman year at Michigan St., and then injuries derailed his pro career.
He scutteled his career by going psycho and getting kicked out of school at Michigan State actually. tried turning pro but ended up in the ECHL as a failure. No injuries involved.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
He scutteled his career by going psycho and getting kicked out of school at Michigan State actually. tried turning pro but ended up in the ECHL as a failure. No injuries involved.

I stand corrected then, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'd still put Johansson first though, because he never should have been picked where he was, and he'll never play a game for the organization.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Mark Mitera was aweful
Rare miss by the Ducks.. but speaking of that draft, how about the Habs taking David Fischer over Claude Giroux? You can see why they're mad up in Québec all the time.

Looking back, the Wild really didn't miss massively much. For every bust, there's usually a pick or two after that is just as bad.

Could honestly argue for Kunin just because he represents the same flawed thought process (high floor but limited ceiling, "character guy") that led to underwhelming picks like Pouliot.

Philips still bugs me, because so many warning signs were there. Just avoidable errors.

But anyhow Kaprizov and Boldy and Brodin were good picks. Time to move on probably.

Wackster

Apr 5, 2017
Quebec city
Rare miss by the Ducks.. but speaking of that draft, how about the Habs taking David Fischer over Claude Giroux? You can see why they're mad up in Québec all the time.

Looking back, the Wild really didn't miss massively much. For every bust, there's usually a pick or two after that is just as bad.

Could honestly argue for Kunin just because he represents the same flawed thought process (high floor but limited ceiling, "character guy") that led to underwhelming picks like Pouliot.

Philips still bugs me, because so many warning signs were there. Just avoidable errors.

But anyhow Kaprizov and Boldy and Brodin were good picks. Time to move on probably.
Oh men completely miss it hahaha it is a Wild thread... In my mind Thelen and Mitera is so comparable...

The Habs draft so porely for 20 year hence the 2007 draft that Fischer get lost in the mix.

But indeed the Wild always seems to get it right at the draft. The Pouliot pick... i mean Montreal would have draft him and would have never slide out of the top 10, it wasn't just meant to be I guess

The Phillips pick was a bad one but he just had a 95p season with a good team and they probably thought he was at least a good bottom 6 that would stick for a while. They probably should have gone with Brandon Saad with that pick at the time because Im not sure a lot of people would have thought Rakell would carve up this kind of career

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Oh men completely miss it hahaha it is a Wild thread... In my mind Thelen and Mitera is so comparable...

The Habs draft so porely for 20 year hence the 2007 draft that Fischer get lost in the mix.

But indeed the Wild always seems to get it right at the draft. The Pouliot pick... i mean Montreal would have draft him and would have never slide out of the top 10, it wasn't just meant to be I guess

The Phillips pick was a bad one but he just had a 95p season with a good team and they probably thought he was at least a good bottom 6 that would stick for a while. They probably should have gone with Brandon Saad with that pick at the time because Im not sure a lot of people would have thought Rakell would carve up this kind of career
I remember shouting at my screen that we needed to take a chance on one of Saad, Rakell or Rattie. Obviously, two of those worked out better than the other, but all three were better than Phillips. Lesson of that draft: don't draft players in the 1st round that can't skate.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00