Worse contract: Clarkson or Finger

Dayzer

Jul 22, 2014
Jeff Finger forsure, Clarkson at least has some type of upside. He had some pretty solid possession numbers in 2013.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Were you singing that tune in Jan when they seemed to win at will?

What's old is new. Perspective people. You all need to step away from the edge. This team has not won in 47 years and it may be a lot longer. I believe I said, we will make the Rangers drought seem like a coffee break. At this rate you guys will be headed for psychiatric help.

I was one of the guys pointing to Corsi and saying its too good to be true. There was a brief time where I thought hey maybe it's working out.

I use the eye test as well. They played horrible hockey all year long.

Disgruntled Observer*

Clarkson was going to make the money and term he made with us SOMEWHERE. Yes he had a bad first season so unfortunately that's going to tarnish him for a lot of people and me may never live up to his contract in some people's eyes.

Finger was pretty much complete useless and spent most of his contract in the AHL. I'm not sure Finger was going to make that money elsewhere.

I'll say that Finger's contract is worse for that fact. Not necessarily the wrost ever, but worse than Clarkson's.

The specific fact that Finger COULD be moved to the minors is what makes his contract infinitely better than Clarksons.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
I was one of the guys pointing to Corsi and saying its too good to be true. There was a brief time where I thought hey maybe it's working out.

I use the eye test as well. They played horrible hockey all year long.

Hey. I'm not disagreeing with you. I hope they are on the right track and it seems in many different sports when younger people are hired and fresh ideas are brought in good things come of them. Leafs were the cat's you know what at one time.....when Punch first showed up, they were getting there in the 70's before Ballard pulled the plug on it. Cowboys were a progressive team when Johnson went there. Oak and their 'money ball' was successful to some extent but did they win with it? Oilers changed everything when they came in the league. I hope the Leafs are on to something and if I remember Shanny at all, the guy worked like a dog, in everything.

When it came to the Burke years it seemed skill was thrown aside for guys that were big, could hit and fight. It is sad to think after all these years we don't have more pieces to show for all that futility. I have watched this pony show for too long and it seems we break it before we fix it again.

hockeyfanz*

And what are the expectations? He was never going to be a 30 goal guy. He was supposed to provide grit and leadership and be a solid contributor. David can contribute 20-25 goals a year. All the tools are there. The team fell apart last year in Feb and David fell apart in Oct, everyone was to blame. Why not lay off the guy and see what he can do. I'm sure there are days that you are not worth your salary, if you are employed that is and not some student. Everything in perspective.

I expected exactly what happened when I heard the signing. EXACTLY...I even wrote a post regarding the stupidity of the contract..how those happy with this "big FA signing" would be up in arms and trashing Clarkson before long.

Its really not rocket science man. GMs are just dumb. You dont give contracts out like that for "intangibles" NEVER.

That money and term should be reserved for skilled players only. Clarkson is a dime a dozen player..probably sitting somewhere in the AHL is a guy who could do his job for league minimum. He is u-s-e-l-e-s-s.

And when speaking of one players pathetic performance with horrible stats to support it, I don't see the relevance of how the team played. Kessel had a great year. Bernier had a great year. JVR had a good year.

What does Clarkson's awful showing have to do with the Leafs as a team? Nonsense.

Why do you think Clarkson will pot 20-25 goals? You realize he has only done it once right? And he is 31 this year right?

Is it reasonable to expect David Booth to be a 30-30 guy because he did it once in his life? Clarkson should be on a Booth type deal. 1 year...1M. He wouldn't be back if that were the case.

Guaranteed.

Other teams were going to give him that money? Oh Yaayy...the Leafs won the stupid derby....again. Is there a trophy for that?

Disgruntled Observer*

Clarkson signed for almost $40 million, NTC, NMC, and buyout proof with a FRANCHISE PLAYERS term.
Finger signed for $14 million, four years, without the above perks.
HOW IS THIS COMPARABLE?

Let's also add that in their first seasons with the leafs, the defenseman scored TWICE AS MANY POINTS in the same number of games as the "top six" forward.
Seriously... read that sentence two or three times to allow it to fully sink in.

And some people in this thread are still claiming Fingers contract was worse.
It really is embarrassing...

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Jeff Finger forsure, Clarkson at least has some type of upside. He had some pretty solid possession numbers in 2013.

If there were a Jeff Finger out there, I would trade Clarkson in a heartbeat for him just to get out from under this albatross contract.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I expected exactly what happened when I heard the signing. EXACTLY...I even wrote a post regarding the stupidity of the contract..how those happy with this "big FA signing" would be up in arms and trashing Clarkson before long.

Its really not rocket science man. GMs are just dumb. You dont give contracts out like that for "intangibles" NEVER.

That money and term should be reserved for skilled players only. Clarkson is a dime a dozen player..probably sitting somewhere in the AHL is a guy who could do his job for league minimum. He is u-s-e-l-e-s-s.

And when speaking of one players pathetic performance with horrible stats to support it, I don't see the relevance of how the team played. Kessel had a great year. Bernier had a great year. JVR had a good year.

What does Clarkson's awful showing have to do with the Leafs as a team? Nonsense.

Why do you think Clarkson will pot 20-25 goals? You realize he has only done it once right? And he is 31 this year right?

Is it reasonable to expect David Booth to be a 30-30 guy because he did it once in his life? Clarkson should be on a Booth type deal. 1 year...1M. He wouldn't be back if that were the case.

Guaranteed.

Other teams were going to give him that money? Oh Yaayy...the Leafs won the stupid derby....again. Is there a trophy for that?

You didn't like the Clarkson signing?

TheThrill81*

Leafs fans have a strange fascination with labelling their problems as the worst of all time. Everything and everyone cant ever just be bad, it has to be the worst of all time.

Or as one poster would put it...

APOCALYPTIC!
UNACCEPTABLE!
THE WORST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME!

Disgruntled Observer*

Don't allow people to state things like this as fact.
There is no actual real evidence proving this.
My guess is that no other GM offered more than 4 million 4 years. Clarksons agent took Nonis for a ride.
But these are just guesses. There are no FACTS proving it one way or the other. Just internet rumours.

Disgruntled Observer*

Or as one poster would put it...

APOCALYPTIC!
UNACCEPTABLE!
THE WORST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED TO ME!

Excuse me... the KESSEL apocalypse is the worst thing to ever happen to me. Not the Clarkson contract.
Get your facts straight.

And can you think of a worse contract in league history (not just money and term, but also considering the NTC, NMC, and buy-out proof contract)?

hockeyfanz*

You didn't like the Clarkson signing?

You would either have to really hate Nonis or the Leafs or BOTH to LIKE the Clarkson contract. It has to be top 5 worst contracts in the history of the NHL.

Definitely the worst one the Leafs have ever given out and THAT is saying something my friend. This comparison to Finger is a joke.

hockeyfanz*

Don't allow people to state things like this as fact.
There is no actual real evidence proving this.
My guess is that no other GM offered more than 4 million 4 years. Clarksons agent took Nonis for a ride.
But these are just guesses. There are no FACTS proving it one way or the other. Just internet rumours.

STILL TOO MUCH. 16M over 4 years for Clarkson? Robbed. What the Leafs gave is beyond robbed...shameful. I truly believe Nonis should have lost his job for this signing alone.

Why is he still here?

TheThrill81*

Excuse me... the KESSEL apocalypse is the worst thing to ever happen to me. Not the Clarkson contract.
Get your facts straight.

And can you think of a worse contract in league history (not just money and term, but also considering the NTC, NMC, and buy-out proof contract)?

:laugh: :handclap:

Chungo

Dec 7, 2010
If Clarkson took a "discount" at $4 million would we still have this conversation if all other factors existed.

I feel we would be still hating that contract....Which is pretty bad.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada

Guaranteed.

C'mon guy. You loose all credibility talking like that.

Disgruntled Observer*

The thread title should be asking if the Clarkson contract is the worst in nhl history. That's the more appropriate debate.
The comparison to Finger is just silly.

On their first years with the leafs, Finger (the DEFENSEMAN) scored MORE goals and TWICE as many points in a similar number of games.
All with a buyout-able contract that was MUCH cheaper/shorter, and no NMC/NTC.
Ridiculous.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I get how bad the Clarkson contract looks right now but they literally signed the wrong guy with Finger. At least Clarkson could improve and increase his value. Finger was literally the wrong guy.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
You would either have to really hate Nonis or the Leafs or BOTH to LIKE the Clarkson contract. It has to be top 5 worst contracts in the history of the NHL.

Definitely the worst one the Leafs have ever given out and THAT is saying something my friend. This comparison to Finger is a joke.

Haha oh I know it and your take on it initially as well.

daveleaf

Mar 23, 2010
Canada
You don't think a typical AHL scrub could score a whopping 11 points playing a season on the leafs 2nd line?

Ashton couldn't even buy one. You are reaching there. His contract may be a little over inflated but he is not useless. Give the guy another year, after this one, if his stats and contributions are just as bad then pour it on. Until then, give the guy a break.

Disgruntled Observer*

Ashton couldn't even buy one. You are reaching there. His contract may be a little over inflated but he is not useless. Give the guy another year, after this one, if his stats and contributions are just as bad then pour it on. Until then, give the guy a break.

Why do I have to give a THIRTY year old another year?
Throughout his CAREER he's averaged a paltry 30 points.

hockeyfanz*

Curious why so many people right Clarkson off?? He has only been one year.

Sure hope he proves all you haters wrong.

Hope is all you have. :laugh:

Oh and by the way...Check out Clarksons bio. He didn't enter the NHL at age 30 and sign a FA contract with the Leafs. He has been in the league for a number of seasons. You may want to look him up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad