Worse contract: Clarkson or Finger

Disgruntled Observer*

Hope is all you have. :laugh:

Oh and by the way...Check out Clarksons bio. He didn't enter the NHL at age 30 and sign a FA contract with the Leafs. He has been in the league for a number of seasons. You may want to look him up.

Ridiculous, eh?
They act as though Clarkson is a 19 year old prospect coming off of a bad first season.
Not a seasoned veteran who's likely started to DECLINE due to his age and play style.

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Clarkson, easily. Finger's contract allowed his cap hit to be buried in the minors, Clarkson's doesn't. Finger was also a pretty serviceable Top 6 D-man, his cap hit just made him an albatross. Last year Clarkson was being outplayed by career 4th liners/minor leaguers.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Ridiculous, eh?
They act as though Clarkson is a 19 year old prospect coming off of a bad first season.
Not a seasoned veteran who's likely started to DECLINE due to his age and play style.

This is what most don't understand. Clarkson chose to look at offers from other teams when the Devils thought he wasn't worth more. A few teams lined up thinking he was the best catch. Leafs won the lottery. Not Clarkson fault teams brought dump trucks of loot. All you can do is suck it up.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
What's the point of a thread like this other than for the depressing pessimistic losers in here to have a yet another anti-Clarkson cerclejerk?

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
This is what most don't understand. Clarkson chose to look at offers from other teams when the Devils thought he wasn't worth more. A few teams lined up thinking he was the best catch. Leafs won the lottery. Not Clarkson fault teams brought dump trucks of loot. All you can do is suck it up.

Even if you can somehow give him a pass for the money and the term, the salary structure is an outrage. Even if he had conceded the team (that he loves so much) a buyout option and they took it after the first year, they'd still be paying him over 26M and he's free to sign elsewhere. Not enough, apparently. My client wants suckfest insurance, he's entitled to every dime of that 37M whether his play deteriorates rapidly or not. Complete greed. There's no excuse for that demand, it's unprecedented.

Mar 26, 2010
Clarkson by a landslide. The term is way too long. Both players are non NHL caliber anyway.

Clarkson will be bought out sooner than later. 2 years max and he is gonzo!

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Even if you can somehow give him a pass for the money and the term, the salary structure is an outrage. Even if he had conceded the team (that he loves so much) a buyout option and they took it after the first year, they'd still be paying him over 26M and he's free to sign elsewhere. Not enough, apparently. My client wants suckfest insurance, he's entitled to every dime of that 37M whether his play deteriorates rapidly or not. Complete greed. There's no excuse for that demand, it's unprecedented.

How many teams over pay for run of the mill free agents? Score 20 goals for two seasons and all of a sudden you are Mike Bossy. Clarkson was considered the top player when the Leafs grabbed him. Most players today aren't worth one million. Tell me if you were Clarkie and became a free agent and some team was foolish enough to give you 37 million you would turn it down? Not in this life time. I doubt Clarkson demanded that amount. It was offered to beat out teams like the Bruins and others wanting his services. Greed is correct. Fans keep paying rediculous prices to watch mediocre hockey. It will never change. The league is so watered down and the real stars are few and far between. If you have them on the roster you may be successful. If not keep paying.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
There's no amount that Clarkson can bring as a hockey player that would justify his pay at this point.

If he could score 25-30 goals a season, for the rest of his contract, it would end up being not too bad of a contract. Somehow, I highly, highly, doubt it happens! :p:

A $3.0M cap hit would be a HUGE overpayment if everything remains similar to last season for Clarkson. :cry:

Nonis, and Company, made a huge mistake IMHO. :help: Maybe, Claude Loiselle and Dave Poulin were the ones who pushed Nonis to sign Clarkson, and, that's why they were both fired. Who knows. :dunno:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Clarkson by a landslide. The term is way too long. Both players are non NHL caliber anyway.

His contract is close to being buyout proof according to some. :help: I think a lopsided trade, not in our favor, will be our only hope! Something like Clarkson plus $2.0M retained for a 4th rounder. :dunno:

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007

Clarksons contract is pretty much buyout proof.

Lets pretend we bought him out when you suggest, in 2 years. Here's the buyout:

◦2015-16: $4,716,667
◦2016-17: $3,716,667
◦2017-18: $3,716,667
◦2018-19: $4,716,667
◦2019-20: $4,716,667
◦2020-21: $466,667
◦2021-22: $466,667
◦2022-23: $466,667
◦2023-24: $466,667
◦2024-25: $466,667

The first 5 years would be the balance of Clarksons contract anyways. The savings (from $5.25M) is pretty negligible. Then we have 5 more years of a minor penalty as well.

Not to mention we would have to replace him on the roster with SOMEONE. Which takes money also.

I can't see any possibility of buying him out.

At best we trade him and retain a good chunk of salary (say, $2-3M). Even then I'm not sure he's attractive to any team at $2.5M considering every year guys like Boyes, Raymond, Santorelli, Booth sign for 1 year, $1M.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Clarkson heres why:

More money
More term
You could bury Finger's contract back then if you chose to.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Clarksons contract is pretty much buyout proof.

Lets pretend we bought him out when you suggest, in 2 years. Here's the buyout:

◦2015-16: $4,716,667
◦2016-17: $3,716,667
◦2017-18: $3,716,667
◦2018-19: $4,716,667
◦2019-20: $4,716,667
◦2020-21: $466,667
◦2021-22: $466,667
◦2022-23: $466,667
◦2023-24: $466,667
◦2024-25: $466,667

The first 5 years would be the balance of Clarksons contract anyways. The savings (from $5.25M) is pretty negligible. Then we have 5 more years of a minor penalty as well.

Not to mention we would have to replace him on the roster with SOMEONE. Which takes money also.

I can't see any possibility of buying him out.

At best we trade him and retain a good chunk of salary (say, $2-3M). Even then I'm not sure he's attractive to any team at $2.5M considering every year guys like Boyes, Raymond, Santorelli, Booth sign for 1 year, $1M.

It would be interesting to hear what Nonis' thoughts were when agreeing to this.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Ridiculous, eh?

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/07/05/leafs-sign-david-clarkson-bring-back-tyler-bozak/

“I’m not worried about six or seven right now,†Nonis said. “I’m worried about one. And Year One, I know we’re going to have a very good player. I believe that he’s got a lot of good years left in him.â€

Can you believe this dumbass is still GM?

But it's OK! We still have lots of good years left in Clarkson :sarcasm:

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
So yes you could bury Finger's contract. You're still paying $4M to an AHL defenceman. Finger was not a top 4 d-man. He belonged in the AHL. Clarkson may be slightly overpaid, but he was going to paid that money somewhere by someone.

Clarkson's played one year for the Leafs, and it was a bad year that started off poorly.

Let's give him a chance.

Mind you this is the same fan base that made a hall of fame defenceman a scapegoat after a season and a half.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
So yes you could bury Finger's contract. You're still paying $4M to an AHL defenceman. Finger was not a top 4 d-man. He belonged in the AHL. Clarkson may be slightly overpaid, but he was going to paid that money somewhere by someone.

Clarkson's played one year for the Leafs, and it was a bad year that started off poorly.

Let's give him a chance.

Mind you this is the same fan base that made a hall of fame defenceman a scapegoat after a season and a half.

Larry Murphy looked good in Detroit after we traded him there, which is pretty easy when you're playing with the Lidstroms, Konstantinovs, and Fetisovs of the world. They could make anyone look good.

Disgruntled Observer*

Let's give him a chance.

MLSE makes over $100 million a year.
You really think that a $4 million buried contract is hurting anybody?
Clarksons contract affects OUR CAP. We can't bury him, we can't buy him out.
THAT'S the problem.
If we could just bury Clarkson in the minors, I wouldn't have that big of a problem. It's MLSE's mistake, they can pay for it.
BUT IT AFFECTS OUR CAP!!!!!! OUR PRECIOUS CAP SPACE!!!!1
The two contracts are not comparable. One is merely lousy, the other is the worst in all nhl world history.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
It would be interesting to hear what Nonis' thoughts were when agreeing to this.

I pray and hope that it was Loiselle/Poulin that realllly pushed for this. For the sake of our future going forward.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
THAT'S the problem.
If we could just bury Clarkson in the minors, I wouldn't have that big of a problem. It's MLSE's mistake, they can pay for it.
The two contracts are not comparable. One is merely lousy, the other is the worst in all nhl world history.

I do agree that Clarkson's contract is far worse though.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
THAT'S the problem.

Are you ok? Seriously.

happyaccident

May 14, 2013
How many teams over pay for run of the mill free agents? Score 20 goals for two seasons and all of a sudden you are Mike Bossy. Clarkson was considered the top player when the Leafs grabbed him. Most players today aren't worth one million. Tell me if you were Clarkie and became a free agent and some team was foolish enough to give you 37 million you would turn it down? Not in this life time. I doubt Clarkson demanded that amount. It was offered to beat out teams like the Bruins and others wanting his services. Greed is correct. Fans keep paying rediculous prices to watch mediocre hockey. It will never change. The league is so watered down and the real stars are few and far between. If you have them on the roster you may be successful. If not keep paying.
True, it's on Carlyle/Nonis for getting involved in those sweepstakes in the first place. I'm specifically referring to the salary structure demands.
I was totally wrong about the greed part, that's not it anyway. Even in an early buyout, he could recoup the money easily signing a bargain contract elsewhere. It's about "comfort level". Clarkie no longer has to worry about uprooting his family, selling the house, etc., like most pro athletes. He can set anchor.
It doesn't affect MLSE. As other guys pointed out, even if they save some money on a buyout, they stil have a roster spot to fill. It directly affects the GMs office, they have to field a competetive team with 5M less cap space and that directly screws the fans. His "comfort clauses" come at our expense.
But how comfortable will it be for him if he has another season like last and he's the most despised athlete in TO sports? How many interviews do you hear from him, nobody wants to go near the guy. The buyout option should have been conceded to the team, he didn't think those demands through very well.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad