Salary Cap: Worry about Cap down the line?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think we have to know who our core is for the next 7-10 years. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Colbourne, Russell, Bennett, Hamilton . . . Maybes: Jooris, Backlund, Bouma . . . Then build around them.

Would love for Hudler to get another 3-4 year deal at 5ish per.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
I think we have to know who our core is for the next 7-10 years. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Colbourne, Russell, Bennett, Hamilton . . . Maybes: Jooris, Backlund, Bouma . . . Then build around them.

Would love for Hudler to get another 3-4 year deal at 5ish per.

One of these things just doesn't belong...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Bourne identity doesn't belong?

Possibly . . . I like him and think he has upside still for his $. I could be wrong though.
He was clearly too subtle, so let me try.

IT'S COLBORNE THERE IS U IN HIS NAME. LEARN TO SPELL IT RIGHT.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Colborne could absolutely be a part of the core in the sense of being part of multiple contender-level teams. As long as he doesn't get to the point of getting paid beyond his role. He's been two years in the league, though, and he played much of last season with a wrist injury. He also brings a unique skillset to the team. I am willing to be very patient with Joe.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Colborne could absolutely be a part of the core in the sense of being part of multiple contender-level teams. As long as he doesn't get to the point of getting paid beyond his role. He's been two years in the league, though, and he played much of last season with a wrist injury. He also brings a unique skillset to the team. I am willing to be very patient with Joe.

This. His big body was noticed against Anaheim too.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The core to me is:

Monahan
Bennett
Gaudreau
Brodie
Hamilton

Everyone else is expendable for the right price. Push come to shove and you're up against it, these are the only guys you aren't dealing.

I think Gillies will be in there eventually as well.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Colborne's not close to being core. Could be one day, but he's not there yet.

Hudler and Russell occupy the complementary core, as in, players who support the primary core so long as they're affordable but are expendable should their cap hits and/or contractual demands interfere with the ability to retain the primary core. For example, Oduya and Sharp in Chicago.

Primary core at present is Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brodie, Hamilton and Giordano. All it needs is a goalie or a winger+defencemen to round it out.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
The core to me is:

Monahan
Bennett
Gaudreau
Brodie
Hamilton

Everyone else is expendable for the right price. Push come to shove and you're up against it, these are the only guys you aren't dealing.

I think Gillies will be in there eventually as well.

Yeah, I mean that's true.

But you have to surround the core with core B you know?

I mean with Chicago, you have guys like Shaw and Saad who feel like core players even though the true core was/is Kane, Toews, Seabrook, Keith. Was Hossa in that group? Sharp probably was until this year. Crawford is by his tenure but it seems every year half the fan-base wants him traded. Oduya? Probably not. Kruger? Probably not. So basically it's a core of 4 . . . But 4 great players can't win championships alone either. I don't know, I think there's a bigger core of guys. But I guess a small group of untradables.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
colborne has a ways to go to be compared to saad. I'd talk about poirier and even klimchuk more in conversations about the core than colborne

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Colborne's not close to being core. Could be one day, but he's not there yet.

Hudler and Russell occupy the complementary core, as in, players who support the primary core so long as they're affordable but are expendable should their cap hits and/or contractual demands interfere with the ability to retain the primary core. For example, Oduya and Sharp in Chicago.

Primary core at present is Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett, Brodie, Hamilton and Giordano. All it needs is a goalie or a winger+defencemen to round it out.

Yep, and guys like Backlund, Russell, Hudler will remain as intricate pieces until they are replaced, which will happen. Eventually when our core players are all extended its crucial we have younger, cheaper players to replace the ones I mentioned.

Gio is absolutely a core player, but now that we have Hamilton I could see a situation materializing in a few seasons where he gets moved.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Colborne has a career high 10 goals. That is not a core player just because he's tall. Neither are Bouma, Backlund and Ferland for that matter, they're the kind of player you swap for picks and replace with similar ELC guys when you're up against the cap ceiling before handcuffing yourself for them.

Core:

Giordano
Gaudreau
Monahan
Brodie
Hamilton
Bennett

that's about it. Though we have prospects who I think can be core.

Gio is absolutely a core player, but now that we have Hamilton I could see a situation materializing in a few seasons where he gets moved.

I don't see it. He's gonna Lidstrom here til he retires. And he'll go Brett Favre on us every year.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't see it. He's gonna Lidstrom here til he retires. And he'll go Brett Favre on us every year.

We're not in a situation today that would make us consider that, things change though. If Gio is 36 and needs another extension for 2-3 years at 8 million +, and moving a younger core guy is the only other alternative, I would say Gio is the one who goes. It's a business, and even the Pack cut Favre loose ;)

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
We're not in a situation today that would make us consider that, things change though. If Gio is 36 and needs another extension for 2-3 years at 8 million +, and moving a younger core guy is the only other alternative, I would say Gio is the one who goes. It's a business, and even the Pack cut Favre loose ;)

I agree. I think Gio is here for 3 or 4 more and hopefully still has good value then.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I agree. I think Gio is here for 3 or 4 more and hopefully still has good value then.

I hope he's here until he retires, I love him. I just want to point out that it's possible at some point he could get moved. Right now though, it's not a concern.

In his contract thread that was my reasoning to signing him to a shorter term deal, I think with us getting Hamilton now, his term is a massive thing for us.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I hope he's here until he retires, I love him. I just want to point out that it's possible at some point he could get moved. Right now though, it's not a concern.

In his contract thread that was my reasoning to signing him to a shorter term deal, I think with us getting Hamilton now, his term is a massive thing for us.

Certainly the Hamilton signing was curious and definitely changed the long-term outlook of things.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
how was going for a 22 year old RH defensemean with top pairing potential curious in any way?? The only curious thing is that he was had for so cheap and that he was available at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad