Salary Cap: Worry about Cap down the line?

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I don't think Wideman or Russell will be Flames when their contract expires. Hopefully they'll have replacements by then. Also hoping they dump benchwarmers like Raymond, Bollig, Engelland. Smid will need to go as well if they can find a taker (lol)

May 27, 2012
Earth
We're fine. If for some reason we don't have enough cap to sign Russell next offseason, then somewhere along the way the Flames messed up during the season.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
We're fine. If for some reason we don't have enough cap to sign Russell next offseason, then somewhere along the way the Flames messed up during the season.

They will have cap. Question is whether they want to commit to it. Depends on his demands, and whether the other D develop.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
how was going for a 22 year old RH defensemean with top pairing potential curious in any way?? The only curious thing is that he was had for so cheap and that he was available at all.

Yeah, the Hamilton acquisition is far from curious. We said at the end of the season that we want to make our defence better. Treliving went out and did that.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I'm curious, for you does this change what the parameters of Gio's extension will be?

No, not at all. Gio goes from being the number one defenceman going forward to being the number one defenceman going forward. I think the Flames need to be smart with the negotiation, but I think that was important before the trade, too, exactly so we could have adds like this.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
No, not at all. Gio goes from being the number one defenceman going forward to being the number one defenceman going forward. I think the Flames need to be smart with the negotiation, but I think that was important before the trade, too, exactly so we could have adds like this.

No one knows how it's gonna look for sure, but I do think it's favourable for the Flames to have it be around 3 years. Of course as you mentioned previously, Gio is going to push for as much term as possible.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
No one knows how it's gonna look for sure, but I do think it's favourable for the Flames to have it be around 3 years. Of course as you mentioned previously, Gio is going to push for as much term as possible.

And I think he still will. And the Flames needed to keep it shorter before, and they still will. And we'll see where it ends up. :dunno:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
If anything I think this makes it easier to ask Gio for less money, now we can clearly say "look, we want to build a contender and the cap isn't rising as much as it was. So if you sign at a lower dollar value we will have a better chance at bringing in the pieces needed to win a Cup

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
If anything I think this makes it easier to ask Gio for less money, now we can clearly say "look, we want to build a contender and the cap isn't rising as much as it was. So if you sign at a lower dollar value we will have a better chance at bringing in the pieces needed to win a Cup

The only problem is there is no way we can sign Gio for less than Hamilton. So if Hamilton gets 7, that means Gio gets 8, which means we suddenly have the most expensive defence in the league (When factoring in Brodie and Wideman's combined ~10 million) at 25 million. You have to think Russell will want a raise if he plays well this year. So we could be looking at 30 mill in defensemen alone going into 2017-18. That leaves 40 million in forwards and goaltending. 40 million to spend on 17 guys is 2.35 million on average. With ELCs and RFA extensions, this is totally doable. The huge payout to Dougie might effect how much Monahan and Johnny are going to want, though, but realistically I see them getting in the realm of 6 million @ 4-5 years which only takes up 12 million of the 40, leaving 28 to spend on the rest.

I don't think we're in that much trouble, plus the pool is pretty deep, so guys on two-way contracts will float about, and bottom six guys don't usually cost more than 2 million. If our defence has a cap hit of 30 million, i'm alright with that because we could potentially have the best defense in the league, and at less than half of the cap maximum.

I think we may have hit 80's Flames 2.0.

Edit: I just found out that Duncan Keith only makes 5.5 AAV. How in the **** did Chicago swing that?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Edit: I just found out that Duncan Keith only makes 5.5 AAV. How in the **** did Chicago swing that?
He was signed pre-lockout to a 13 year deal, over the first 8 years of his deal the average is $7,218,750 over the final 5 years he makes $2,850,000 per year.

But the Hawks are a good example, Keith took less money long term and doesn't seem to care that Seabrook is making more per year than he is.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
Cap issues? Not a worry to be honest. Management is well aware that Monahan, Bennett, and Johnny are going to have to get new contracts. They will save room for them. Even after Gio and Dougie get paid, we'll be fine. I expect that Wideman or Russell will be dealt and David Jones' contract is up after next season. Going forward, Raymond's contract ends and depending on how our prospects develop, other players could be dealt to clear space.

This isn't like the end of the Sutter reign where we were tied down with bad contracts with a ton of no trade clauses. We have a ton of cap space without a ton of bad contracts. We are well set up to pay the guys we need to pay while building a future contender

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Cap issues? Not a worry to be honest. Management is well aware that Monahan, Bennett, and Johnny are going to have to get new contracts. They will save room for them. Even after Gio and Dougie get paid, we'll be fine. I expect that Wideman or Russell will be dealt and David Jones' contract is up after next season. Going forward, Raymond's contract ends and depending on how our prospects develop, other players could be dealt to clear space.

This isn't like the end of the Sutter reign where we were tied down with bad contracts with a ton of no trade clauses. We have a ton of cap space without a ton of bad contracts. We are well set up to pay the guys we need to pay while building a future contender

And it’s not like the guys whose contracts are expiring, we really need to get rid of (like Kotalik or Butler). Wideman or Russell are great defenders and Jones can put up some points and be pretty physical - just don’t have space.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
And it’s not like the guys whose contracts are expiring, we really need to get rid of (like Kotalik or Butler). Wideman or Russell are great defenders and Jones can put up some points and be pretty physical - just don’t have space.

Dead on. We will be fine and based on Treliving's sample of work, I'm confident he's not going to ruin the bright future this team has

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I really don't think cap will ever be an issue with Treliving as GM. He and Maloney always did a fantastic job at keeping Arizona a budget team. Though, Treliving has never had a core as good as Calgary, but I have no doubt that he will put the cap where it needs to be accordingly.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
I also think that this team is building a very solid nucleus of talent. It seems as though everyone gets along very well with each other and nobody's playing for themselves. Hopefully that helps with contract negotiations

I can see Gio taking a small hometown discount knowing that what prime years he has left are some of our best chances at the cup. Same with Money and Johnny. Sure they could get paid big time in free agency, but maybe Treliving can say 'Listen, we can give you top dollar or we can go slightly lower and let the team bring in better secondary help to get you guys that cup'.

Even since 2004, this is probably the most promise this team has shown for being able to contend for a cup. I just hope the players see that when negotiating.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I also think that this team is building a very solid nucleus of talent. It seems as though everyone gets along very well with each other and nobody's playing for themselves. Hopefully that helps with contract negotiations

I can see Gio taking a small hometown discount knowing that what prime years he has left are some of our best chances at the cup. Same with Money and Johnny. Sure they could get paid big time in free agency, but maybe Treliving can say 'Listen, we can give you top dollar or we can go slightly lower and let the team bring in better secondary help to get you guys that cup'.

Even since 2004, this is probably the most promise this team has shown for being able to contend for a cup. I just hope the players see that when negotiating.

I agree. The team is being built on a solid core of homegrown players and not 2 superstars (Iginla and Kipper). Instead of acquiring veterans, management is focused on adding young and talented players. I really like the measured and calculated approach we're taking. That's why cap room won't be wasted as it used to be on bad contracts

danmcd15

Jul 11, 2014
I agree. The team is being built on a solid core of homegrown players and not 2 superstars (Iginla and Kipper). Instead of acquiring veterans, management is focused on adding young and talented players. I really like the measured and calculated approach we're taking. That's why cap room won't be wasted as it used to be on bad contracts

Exactly. No need to be worried about it yet, and I honestly don't believe we will end up worrying unless we begin winning cups (and that would be a nice problem). Next season will play a big role to what our future cap situation will look like (Mony, johnny, etc) but as fans, we are extremely fortunate to have Treliving, Burke and co. dealing with this. Fully trust our management group.

chunkylover53

Nov 26, 2013
I thought they wouldn't be big FA but then they sign Frolik, Still got Gio to sign.... and players to dump.

Perceptor

World Class
Mar 19, 2012
Calgary, AB
I thought they wouldn't be big FA but then they sign Frolik, Still got Gio to sign.... and players to dump.

I fully expect that deals will be made before opening night as we now have a surplus of forwards and possibly defensemen.

That being said, this is what is coming off the cap after next season. I won't include Gio as I fully expect he will be back:

David Jones - $4 million
Jiri Hudler - $4 million
Jonas Hiller - $4.5 million
Kari Ramo - $3.8 million
Kris Russell - $2.6 million
Jon Ortio - $600k

So that's $19.5 million. Right now we are $7.1 million under pending the outcomes of new contracts for our RFA's.

Gio wants $9 million but I think we will sign him to $7.5-8.5 million when it's all said and done. That will leave $11 million to commit to Gaudreau and Monahan. That's the worst case scenario as you would expect Wideman or Engelland to be moved as well to free up to more cap space. We may not sign Hudler though but we'll see

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
A goalie around the range of 4-5 million will be here.

Hudler and Russell will be extended and given raises. So the cap we have coming off will essentially cover that. Still need to move out salary though, Wideman and Raymond are most likely.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Can't move Wideman until they know a) whether Russell wants to stay and b) if he's willing to re-sign for a reasonable amount. And the team needs to see how Russell does next season before committing to him long term.

If for example, Russell wants an eight year deal at 5M per, the Flames would be better off trading him at the deadline and keeping Wideman. Or if a prospect defencemen appears ready for top four minutes and Hamilton is excelling, trade both Wideman and Russell and keep Engelland.

At the moment, at least two forwards (Raymond and somebody else) need to be let go without any coming back. Next season, re-signing Hudler might depend on whether they can find another team willing to take on Stajan's contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad