In Memoriam WORLD TRADE CENTER September 10th 2001

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
RIP my buddy Bill. He worked at ground zero. Passed away 16 years later in service for the FDNY

Attachments

• AACFB729-83D7-450C-86AA-152595B80129.jpeg
    AACFB729-83D7-450C-86AA-152595B80129.jpeg
    199.5 KB · Views: 2

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
My fiance lost her uncle that day, he was a fire fighter and they lost everyone at the house that day, never finding any of the bodies. They had parked the truck a few blocks, unloaded all their gear, and headed in. The truck didnt even have a scratch on it but 12 guys never returned (both the ladder and engine teams).

Her fathers cousin was also FDNY and lost that day. He has a special section of the memorial where they play voice mails people had been leaving at his house hoping he was Ok. A bit of a legend even before 9/11 in the department, his last recording is to 911 dispatch to let them know they were on the 35th floor and still headed up. I didnt know him at all, having only met her 4 years ago, but that part choked me up when we went to the memorial.

I went with the family for the 20th anniversary. I was a freshman in high school when it happened, but its taken on a whole different meaning being around her family & the guys on days like this. We arent in NY this year so we just went to the local firehouse this AM so they could drop pastries and flowers.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
My fiance lost her uncle that day, he was a fire fighter and they lost everyone at the house that day, never finding any of the bodies. They had parked the truck a few blocks, unloaded all their gear, and headed in. The truck didnt even have a scratch on it but 12 guys never returned (both the ladder and engine teams).

Her fathers cousin was also FDNY and lost that day. He has a special section of the memorial where they play voice mails people had been leaving at his house hoping he was Ok. A bit of a legend even before 9/11 in the department, his last recording is to 911 dispatch to let them know they were on the 35th floor and still headed up. I didnt know him at all, having only met her 4 years ago, but that part choked me up when we went to the memorial.

I went with the family for the 20th anniversary. I was a freshman in high school when it happened, but its taken on a whole different meaning being around her family & the guys on days like this. We arent in NY this year so we just went to the local firehouse this AM so they could drop pastries and flowers.
Every time I think about all those first responders heading upstairs it gives me chills.

And never finding the bodies :cry:

Save By Thomas

Jive Turkey
Nov 12, 2011
The armpit of California
I was 28 at the time and working driving a tow truck for a Fresno area AAA affiliated company. Back then Tuesday was my Friday. I got up, took a shower and on my way out the door turned the tv on for my then five year old daughter who had just started kindergarten a couple weeks before. The only reason I saw anything before leaving was because the tv was left on the local news station from the night before and of course they were talking about the WTC being hit before I had the chance to put Nickelodeon on. I gassed up the truck and headed to the shop, we all sat around the office listening to the radio............there were zero calls for service until well past 7:30 which was unprecedented for a weekday. Late that morning I got a call to tow a car to the South end of Fresno and coming back towards the area I had to pass the Fresno airport. The local Air National Guard shares the property/runways with the commercial air traffic here and they had a barricade setup with HEAVILY armed guards at the main intersections entering the Fresno air terminal. That barricade was there for months.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was in Queens that morning after being at Yankee Stadium on 9/10 for a Sox/NYY game that was rained out.

I had planned to leave around 11 AM for the drive back and was having breakfast at my friend's place and as always he had 1010 WINS on

We went up to the roof and I remember saying no small jet did that..............

What many don't realize is most New York City TV and FM stations were knocked off the air along with cable TV as their transmitters and head end were all at the WTC North Tower. AM stations were not affected..................

I just wanted to go home but couldn't as they closed the bridges.

Last edited:

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
There's a really, really good book on that. I definitely recommend it.

You just won't find better people in the world than you'll find in Newfoundland.

View attachment 742293
I will look for this book. I worked with a Newfoundlander for several years, one of the best people I have met. He was here working while his fiancee went to optometry school. Someone gave them tickets for Christmas for Come from Away. They were so homesick after seeing it. Once she graduated, they moved back to NFLD. The people there are the salt of the earth. We hope to visit them one day.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
I will look for this book. I worked with a Newfoundlander for several years, one of the best people I have met. He was here working while his fiancee went to optometry school. Someone gave them tickets for Christmas for Come from Away. They were so homesick after seeing it. Once she graduated, they moved back to NFLD. The people there are the salt of the earth. We hope to visit them one day.
It is called “The Day The World Came To Town” by Jim DeFede.

I have it on audible but would definitely purchase a hard copy that’s how good it is.

• Love
Reactions: caz16

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
I had no idea about this until a few months ago. Incredible

Mike Day, the Coast Guard guy in the video, is my cousin. A kid from Brockton played a huge role in getting all of those people out of New York.

I was working at The Enterprise in Brockton, and we were having issues with our new computer system. We had no idea what was going on until a secretary for the publisher came down and said he wanted it on the cover. We turned the TV on and minutes later the second plane hit.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Mike Day, the Coast Guard guy in the video, is my cousin. A kid from Brockton played a huge role in getting all of those people out of New York.

I was working at The Enterprise in Brockton, and we were having issues with our new computer system. We had no idea what was going on until a secretary for the publisher came down and said he wanted it on the cover. We turned the TV on and minutes later the second plane hit.
Your cousin did incredible work that day so please thank him.

I feel like I am the only one I know that never saw any of it live because of where my class was in the building. We evacuated when someone ran down the hall yelling there's a bomb threat.

9/11 is the only day I can remember where we had an evening edition of the Boston Globe delivered. Newspapers did very heavy lifting over the coming weeks.

SPB2776

Jun 4, 2009
Your cousin did incredible work that day so please thank him.

I feel like I am the only one I know that never saw any of it live because of where my class was in the building. We evacuated when someone ran down the hall yelling there's a bomb threat.

9/11 is the only day I can remember where we had an evening edition of the Boston Globe delivered. Newspapers did very heavy lifting over the coming weeks.
He was actually supposed to have a meeting in the World Trade Center that day. He was stationed on Staten Island and had the TV on while he was getting ready to go over. He found out about it like most everybody else.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I was working at Warner Bros Studio, we were striking a stage for a Nikki Cox show. We started at 7am, we were sent home shortly after the towers were struck, didn't really know the what had happened until I got home to watch the News. Very sad 😢

HustleB

Cautiously Optimistic
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2017
Welcome to the Jungle
I was 20, working in Franklin ma, 3rd shift. By the time I got back to RI and got settled I turned on the T.V and saw that a plane hit the north tower. As I sat there in disbelief on how something like this could happen, the south tower got hit and the realization quickly settled in that we were under attack.

It changed me forever, how I viewed the world, politics, and media.

The one silver lining that still sticks with me was how everyone was on 9/12. I had never seen anything like it. It was a humbled camaraderie where we all knew what happened to us, we didn't know what to do, but we knew we all just went through it together. People were thoughtful, understanding, and it gave a glimpse of what this world could be
That was the most unified I have ever seen this nation. At church, at work, and in the neighborhood. I long for those days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad