GDT: World Juniors

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
sucks that we only have magnusson representing washington this year. hopefully next year we have iorio + 2022 draft picks

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
sucks that we only have magnusson representing washington this year. hopefully next year we have iorio + 2022 draft picks
Yeah, definitely takes away from my interest in following Canada or the tourney in general too heavily now. I'll catch the SFs and medal games only probably.

Iorio will have aged out as a late birthday. Hanelt and '22 picks are likely it.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Apparently the WJC men (boys?) have developed immunity to the virus, so congratulations to them!

Unfortunately the women haven’t developed the same immunity yet, so their tournament had to be canceled. But sometimes tough, science-based decisions have to be made.

Reactions: Hivemind

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Apparently the WJC men (boys?) have developed immunity to the virus, so congratulations to them!

Unfortunately the women haven’t developed the same immunity yet, so their tournament had to be canceled. But sometimes tough, science-based decisions have to be made.

Actually, the virus has mutated and is now sentient regarding financial impact and Neilson ratings. It was only a matter of time.

Reactions: Hivemind and twabby

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
Russia - Sweden about to start

Attachments

• upload_2021-12-26_16-37-40.png
    upload_2021-12-26_16-37-40.png
    157.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019

Scouting the stat line only, but... really? Considering he was 9th in ice time among forwards and had zero shots or points, that's surprising, compared to others on his team.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Sweden only scored one 5 on 5 goal
once again demonstrating that specials teams are very important in 2 weeks tournament

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Lapierre not making the team is confusing to me. If he was good enough to crack an NHL roster on a contending team, they should at least have brought him to the tournament in case one of the top wingers gets injured.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lapierre not making the team is confusing to me. If he was good enough to crack an NHL roster on a contending team, they should at least have brought him to the tournament in case one of the top wingers gets injured.

I think you have to ask two questions.

1. Was his competition to make the Caps roster under the circumstances as good as the WJC roster competition? He didnt beat out an NHL player to make the team.
2. Has his play regressed at the junior level after being sent down from the NHL because he is disappointed or something along those lines. Thats pretty common.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

1. Was his competition to make the Caps roster under the circumstances as good as the WJC roster competition? He didnt beat out an NHL player to make the team.
2. Has his play regressed at the junior level after being sent down from the NHL because he is disappointed or something along those lines. Thats pretty common.

For Q1, his main competition was CMM, who made last year's WJC team easily. Q2 is valid, but it's a short tournament and you don't know what might happen in regards to COVID related absences. I think you still go with the most skill even if his recent play in the Q wasn't his best. I didn't watch him after he went back to the Q, but he's putting up 18 points in 11 games so far. It can't be that bad.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For Q1, his main competition was CMM, who made last year's WJC team easily. Q2 is valid, but it's a short tournament and you don't know what might happen in regards to COVID related absences. I think you still go with the most skill even if his recent play in the Q wasn't his best. I didn't watch him after he went back to the Q, but he's putting up 18 points in 11 games so far. It can't be that bad.

Maybe McMichael wasn't really his competition because they both made the team. Who didn't make the team that he beat out for a spot? Protas? Sgarbossa? That was the point I was trying to make.

I am not paying any attention to the WJC or to junior hockey in general. I would think there are reasons why he didn't make the team. I just made a couple guesses. Thats all. Is 18 pts in 11 games elite in the Q?

edit: Who is Bennett MacArthor?

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

So a bunch of people got sick for nothing! Who could have seen this coming!

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

Third question: did Canada run a tight camp and skip over certain segments of team-building competition because of the environment? I think in a normal year he probably goes, and they did a fair amount of exposure-safe guesswork this year with team selection.

Reactions: txpd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad