World Juniors Popularity

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Perhaps I'm arguing semantics, but the WJC isn't amazing hockey per se. The quality sucks relative to the Worlds; BUT that's what makes it so entertaining and exciting. Mistakes everywhere, nonstop changes in momentum, passion only kids can bring, etc.

Great tournament.
I think it's exactly the other way around. At WJC you have the best players available, while at WC not at all. So WJC is the best international tournament you can get in hockey.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think it's exactly the other way around. At WJC you have the best players available, while at WC not at all. So WJC is the best international tournament you can get in hockey.

I think it has more to with the fact that an average WC veteran will be a better and more experienced hockey player than most 18 and 18 year old players.

Junior hockey can be chaotic, messy affairs sometimes owing to inexperience.

I would also argue that it’s harder to have parity in age restricted tournaments so you see fewer upsets in general.

It’s definitely best on best (barring injuries, NHL duty, etc.) but it’s a very narrow range of players that are available.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don’t recall seeing Slafkovský, Kaspar, McTavish, Edvinsson at World Juniors recently.

KahunWOW

Apr 14, 2006
Germany
In Germany not at all, not even among hockey fans really. Though to be fair even the junior tournaments in soccer aren't all that popular relatively speaking.
True, but since a few years you can actually watch all Germany WJC games, with surprisingl decent moderation. It's honestly a miracle. The results also get some news on our major sports websites like Sport1, kicker...
But yeah, pretty much only hardcore hockey fans are watching/caring.

Reactions: LucaBrasil

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think the Czech hockey fans are very keen on the tourney and the general public is aware it is happening. Gets good coverage. I think if we ever won one (and I'm not sure that will ever happen again) that it'd be a big deal for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad