World Juniors' Attendance

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
How much of the ticket revenue goes to the IIHF, and how much does the host franchise get to keep?

I think Sabres bid on the hosting rights. They wrote a cheque, therefore they keep all. Isn't that how it works? Considering they don't pay the players, the money they paid to the IIHF probably makes it a wash.

v-man

Apr 19, 2006
Toronto
www.ivories.ca
I think Sabres bid on the hosting rights. They wrote a cheque, therefore they keep all. Isn't that how it works? Considering they don't pay the players, the money they paid to the IIHF probably makes it a wash.

I believe I read they promised about 4 million to Hockey USA. The IIHF definitely gets a portion of the revenue, that's the whole point of the tournament, so junior hockey can be supported internationally, but the Sabres definitely made a pretty penny as well.

CanadienErrant*

Buffalo, Ontario ?

Where were the American fans this afternoon for the game between their National Team and Sweden ?

The arena was filled with red jerseys with maple leafs on.

The ambiance was dreadful.

Kudos to the young American players who won the bronze despite the lack of support.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Recall when the tournament was held in Europe, the attendance was abysmal. Canada is the only country that cares about this tournament, it's sad..but that's the truth.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
its an NHL sized arena for a junior tournament that doesnt get any national attention. canada is the only country that takes the event from a fans perspective seriously and the event was held at the canadian border. what did u think was going to happen?

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007
Despite the lack of American fans, the attendance has been good for a junior event.

"The 2011 IIHF World U20 Championship in Buffalo and Niagara is the best attended IIHF international hockey event in United States history. Current attendance through 29 games stands at 294,893. Today’s medal games are sure to attract about 37,000 more fans, for a total around 330,000. "

BobDobolina

Jan 11, 2010
NYC
Why is this constantly being considered as some kind of surprise? Canadians really care about this tournament - Americans don't. No need to act like there is something wrong with Americans for not caring about this tournament or about hockey in general. It just isn't our culture.

Ever catch a Sabres game in Buffalo when they are playing the Leafs?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
The fact of the matter is, it's a low-profile tournament in every country but Canada. It's not surprising. It says much more about the status and visibility of this tournament than it says about Buffalo as a hockey town.

Look how successful the NCAA Frozen Four was when it was hosted in Buffalo, for a comparison. Now there is a tournament with some name-recognition in the US. And unlike the WJCs, college hockey is not priced at outrageous, NHL+ prices.

Despite all this, something like 30% (100,000 out of 300,000) tickets in this tournament were sold to Americans, which is the highest-number of American attendees ever for this tournament. I think Buffalo hockey fans supported this tourney about as well as could be expected, but obviously nowhere near the level of Canadian hockey fans, for whom this thing exists on a whole nother level.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
They should just hold this thing in Canada every year, seriously. As an American I don't care, I don't know how the Europeans would feel about it though.

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
Why is this constantly being considered as some kind of surprise? Canadians really care about this tournament - Americans don't. No need to act like there is something wrong with Americans for not caring about this tournament or about hockey in general. It just isn't our culture.

But the American kids are the defending champions, I would think that should make more Americans want to come out and support them even if they wouldn't normally be excited about the world juniors.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009

Very well put. They could hold the Final Four or the Orange Bowl in my backyard, and I couldn't be bothered to open the curtains. Not in my blood either.

southhampton

Feb 24, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
But the American kids are the defending champions, I would think that should make more Americans want to come out and support them even if they wouldn't normally be excited about the world juniors.

But as a whole America does not even know this tournament is happening, let alone that the US are the defending champs.

Sep 19, 2008
Huge attendance

TSN just said most of the attendees for the games, including non-Canada ones, were Canadian :laugh:

Canadian takeover

NiagaraGirl

Hockey Canada fan :)
But as a whole America does not even know this tournament is happening, let alone that the US are the defending champs.

Through most of the U.S. ya I'm sure but in Buffalo they have banners hanging up in the city and they've been promoting it on the news every night, doing newspaper articles and live blogs, etc. I even saw one member here offer a free ticket to any American that emailed him and he said he got 0 interest.

What's weird too is when I go to buffalonews.com where they're doing articles and reports on this, ZERO comments even on the articles.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
Where were the American fans this afternoon for the game between their National Team and Sweden ?

The arena was filled with red jerseys with maple leafs on.

The ambiance was dreadful.

Kudos to the young American players who won the bronze despite the lack of support.

Oh No! The ambiance was dreadful.

I find it hard to believe that a group of
Brits sit around and wonder why Canada doesn't have the passion for football as much as they do or
some kid from Indiana is complaining that the basketball interest in the Great White North isn't as Great as in their state.

But thanks for caring (not sure why though)

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007

I went to a bar Monday night to watch the game and it was packed full of people cheering and watching the game. People may not be spending the money to go live, but people are watching here. At least in Buffalo, since it's being held here..doubt the game was even on in any bar outside of Buffalo. Most likely they were all showing the college football games instead. And Americans may be the defending champs, but no one even knows that in America since no one watched last year either.

Grave

Mondo Cool
Jun 23, 2009
Northern California
Most American's don't like hockey, I know people won't watch it because its just for 'white' people. On another note if the vast majority of a country doesn't like watching professionals play why would they watch kids?

You herped so hard you derped.

tumblr_left25CWUw1qf8yek.gif

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
The fact of the matter is, it's a low-profile tournament in every country but Canada. It's not surprising. It says much more about the status and visibility of this tournament than it says about Buffalo as a hockey town.

Look how successful the NCAA Frozen Four was when it was hosted in Buffalo, for a comparison. Now there is a tournament with some name-recognition in the US. And unlike the WJCs, college hockey is not priced at outrageous, NHL+ prices.

Despite all this, something like 30% (100,000 out of 300,000) tickets in this tournament were sold to Americans, which is the highest-number of American attendees ever for this tournament. I think Buffalo hockey fans supported this tourney about as well as could be expected, but obviously nowhere near the level of Canadian hockey fans, for whom this thing exists on a whole nother level.

Actually that seems to be changing.
Apparently there are 4 networks in Sweden to have the WJHC rights. The Sweden/Canada game was viewed by 1,000,000 Swedes in a country of 9,000,000.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

Most American's don't like hockey, I know people won't watch it because its just for 'white' people. On another note if the vast majority of a country doesn't like watching professionals play why would they watch kids?

It's Buffalo not Nashville:facepalm:

The world juniors don't matter outside of Canada is the real answer.

Eichel 9

Jan 2, 2007

You herped so hard you derped.

tumblr_left25CWUw1qf8yek.gif

Yea..that's exactly the reason why hockey isn't popular, because it's for white people :laugh:

BruceOp

Dec 8, 2004
It's like March Madness. I really don't understand why all the madness :dunno:

I guess you can say College Sports in the US is the equivalent of the Memorial Cup, and the World Juniors are a step above the Mem Cup :yo:

obsenssive*

in russia they care about this tournament. thats pretty much the only other country though.

Tavaresmagicalplay*

in russia they care about this tournament. thats pretty much the only other country though.
It's kind of weird though cause the world championships are so big in europe yet the world juniors aren't. You'd think they'd both have some popularity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad