World Juniors 2020 Czech Republic

GeoBlue

Oct 21, 2017
Kitchener
This is on Hockey Canada, they have a program of excellence, and then allow coach to select 2 non participants with zero international experience to take the net. Why have the program if they’re not going to trust the process? Should have been Jones & Rodrigue in net, with Rodrigue holding the upper hand based on his international experience, skill & technically both these goalies are better than ND & JH. They’ve got Rodrigue sitting in the stands!

It's a tough call. Do you go with a goalie that has the experience but having a bad season or do you go with the goalie having a good season but no international experience? I personally feel that Daws is just too much of a "flash in the pan". He was a BU to Popowich last year and got to a great start as a starter. Not enough to want me to have him in the international spotlight.

We had a similar situation last year in Ranger land. Luke Richardson started so hot that he got an invite to the Canada / Russia tournament last year, along the likes of, um, Michael DiPietro. Well, let's just say that the year would end with those 2 being at polar opposites and Ranger fans holding their breath every time a puck was shot toward our net.

So yes, in my books, experience trumps current play in international play. You make a good point regarding the Program of Excellence. Either you trust in the program or realize that it is not working. Which is it?

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Russians are dropping like flies everyone you go near one. They are a good team. No need to dive all over the ice.

Our guys dove too. That’s how you have to play with these refs.

Bogus ending with the gift non call on the puck hitting the camera. Hate winning with an asterisk.

Reactions: Uncle

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario

Bogus ending with the gift non call on the puck hitting the camera. Hate winning with an asterisk.
Might be an asterisk to you but not the rest of Canada. Russians drew a couple of massively weak calls. But if the had of won would you give them an asterisk also? Just asking Even

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history

Bogus call on the holding the stick penalty on Canada in the first when the Russians scored on the powerplay

Reactions: TheCoach and bobber

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Might be an asterisk to you but not the rest of Canada. Russians drew a couple of massively weak calls. But if the had of won would you give them an asterisk also? Just asking Even

Absolutely I would have given anyone an asterisk on a play like the puck hitting the camera play. I would have liked to have won killing off the deserved two man disadvantage. 6 on 3 with the goalie pulled and standing strong would have been the stuff of legends. Especially after being down 3-1 and coming from behind to take the lead. That non call made the ending a little anti climactic for me.

And sure there were bad calls early in the game. Especially the holding the stick call on Hayton. But our guys were guilty of embellishment too. Hayton’s head snap at the end of the second being one of them.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Absolutely I would have given anyone an asterisk on a play like the puck hitting the camera play. I would have liked to have won killing off the deserved two man disadvantage. 6 on 3 with the goalie pulled and standing strong would have been the stuff of legends. Especially after being down 3-1 and coming from behind to take the lead. That non call made the ending a little anti climactic for me.

And sure there were bad calls early in the game. Especially the holding the stick call on Hayton. But our guys were guilty of embellishment too. Hayton’s head snap at the end of the second being one of them.
Your opinion not mine even. I don't care if Canada bit the leg off a Russian. They were whining and crying trying to deligitomize all our goals after they went in. We won our first gold since what 2008. I'll take that any day.

jellybeans

Nov 9, 2007

I'm guessing you didn't read the rules did you there was no penalty on the play.

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
I'm guessing you didn't read the rules did you there was no penalty on the play.

Don’t remember seeing a rule book. Just going by the commentators and how they also thought we caught a break.

Is this rule right up there with Bettman’s explanation years ago about how “the foot in the crease rule” was supposedly changed via letter to all teams, after the bogus ending to the Stanley Cup final?

Just asking.

Had it been the other way around, and Russia benefitted from the non call, we’d be screaming to high heavens about it - myself included.

Last edited:

Otto

Lynch Syndrome. Know your families cancer history
Just asking.

Had it been the other way around, and Russia benefitted from the non call, we’d be screaming to high heavens about it - myself included.

All things being equal and Canada had received a bogus powerplay and scored on it in the first period and then had this go against them at the end of the game I would feel the same as I do now... the two cancel each other out

Reactions: EvenSteven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad