GDT: World Junior Showcase GM4: Thurs 7PM TSN

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Even if he doesn't make it in hockey, Point could easily carve out a future skating. He has amazing edgework and balance to go along with his other abilities. It's true that he's a year older than most players at this camp, but it's not like he's physically dominating.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Even if he doesn't make it in hockey, Point could easily carve out a future skating. He has amazing edgework and balance to go along with his other abilities. It's true that he's a year older than most players at this camp, but it's not like he's physically dominating.

I have no other way to describe it other then "smarter/more experienced" - it seems silly to say that about someone only 1 year older then other players, but having a World Jr gold medal and being a year older and having that extra hockey under his belt is a huge advantage.

It makes me wonder how much different Marner will look to us all in 1 years time

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I must say I am happy for all the Marner supporters who never wavered or band-waggoned onto other players through the lead-up to the draft.

He is such a nice prospect to watch. Gonna be a fun bunch of years watching the Buds become a legitimate responsible deep organization with loads of high quality prospects and NHL roster players. :yo:

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I must say I am happy for all the Marner supporters who never wavered or band-waggoned onto other players through the lead-up to the draft.

He is such a nice prospect to watch. Gonna be a fun bunch of years watching the Buds become a legitimate responsible deep organization with loads of high quality prospects and NHL roster players. :yo:

I totally agree
Leading up to the draft there was a huge group pushing for hanifin or strome and i am sooo happy we got marner and dermott fell from the sky.
Add bracco and and and and for the first time in 30 yrs im excited about our group of prospects.
Things finally look like they are turning over a new leaf

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
I'm just hoping that the Leafs' player development staff doesn't tell Marner to kill his creativity. Almost every shift he had, he was dangerous. There were so many plays he made that even I went wtf until I saw what the end result was or could have been. He, like Rielly, could easily have more points.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
I totally agree
Leading up to the draft there was a huge group pushing for hanifin or strome and i am sooo happy we got marner and dermott fell from the sky.
Add bracco and and and and for the first time in 30 yrs im excited about our group of prospects.
Things finally look like they are turning over a new leaf

Ha never mind Strome and Hanifan how about those pushing Barzal. I think its pretty obvious that Marner is on a completely different level. He was stuck playing both of these games with guys who should be 4th line checkers. Stephens and Crouse are not smart enough, quick enough or skilled enough to complement Marner. Marner with Merkley and or Fabbri would be a treat. Love Merkleys skill and compete. He has passed Barzal at this point IMHO. The points also some of those guys played 3 games.

Oh and did anyone once even think wow Marner looks small out there?

Last edited:

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Ha never mind Strome and Hanifan how about those pushing Barzal. I think its pretty obvious that Marner is on a completely different level. He was stuck playing both of these games with guys who should be 4th line checkers. Stephens and Crouse are not smart enough, quick enough or skilled enough to complement Marner. Marner with Merkley and or Fabbri would be a treat. Love Merkleys skill and compete. He has passed Barzal at this point IMHO. The points also some of those guys played 3 games.

Yeah the Barzal push was funny, but it died of before the draft.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't know how you guys can sit here and write off players like Hanafin and Strome so quickly for a couple exhibition games. It's just ridiculous. It's nice to enjoy our prospect looking so talented and dominant but they have careers that have to still unfold before you go bragging with the 'I told you so' crap.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Don't you think the continuous blame the line-mates for Leafs lack of success is a bit old?

Crosby doesn't blame Kunitz.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Don't you think the continuous blame the line-mates for Leafs lack of success is a bit old?

Crosby should be blaming kunitz or whoever else is being dragged around by him.

I think those of us that wanted marner from the begining are allowed to have a moment of optimism.
The strome hanifin barzal and even provorov push was crazy.
Almost as crazy as everyone whining about how small mitch is.
Ive met crouse and the kid is a beast and yet he doesnt look that much bigger than marner and neither does strome whos only asset that marner didnt have was size.
No one is writing anyone off or thinking marner is the next gilmour but if anyone would still draft strome over marner after only these fews games even is a terrible judge of talent.

Im comfortable going on the record saying in ten years marner will be a much better all around player than strome.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Crosby should be blaming kunitz or whoever else is being dragged around by him.

I think those of us that wanted marner from the begining are allowed to have a moment of optimism.
The strome hanifin barzal and even provorov push was crazy.
Almost as crazy as everyone whining about how small mitch is.
Ive met crouse and the kid is a beast and yet he doesnt look that much bigger than marner and neither does strome whos only asset that marner didnt have was size.
No one is writing anyone off or thinking marner is the next gilmour but if anyone would still draft strome over marner after only these fews games even is a terrible judge of talent.

Im comfortable going on the record saying in ten years marner will be a much better all around player than strome.

Any scout who would make a decision after just a few games would be unemployed in no time.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014

Not blaming anyone just stating you play players that compliment each other. Like Dvorak and Rupert play well with Marner. Dvorak skill and quick puck mover and Rupert a great finisher. You put Yakomovich on Marners line in London its not the same. Are you saying Kunitz is a checker, but maybe you on to something. Explains why Pitsburgh has not been a threat to win the cup the past several years and they continue to look for the right complimentary player for Sid.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
The scouts have been watching all year and before marners injury he was ranked ahead of strome anyway. I wasnt meaning the scouts would decide based on three games but did u see something that i didnt? Would you say strome was even visible when he wasnt being fed beauty passes?

Im a through and through leaf fan and im used to wishing other teams prospects were ours and now we have one that shows real serious upside and u wanna rain on our parade.

Hogzilla

Mar 5, 2014
St. Catharines, Ont
I'm so glad we picked Marner, he was my choice all along as well and I believe he'll prove the leaf brass right.

I'm disappointed they passed on Konecny, I think that move will come back to haunt them.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
You do realize that not only is this a super small sample size but also that NHL games are a different beast than what we've seen the last few days? This Canada team was attacking relentlessly, even in the game they lost but the pacing in the NHL isn't like this. It was fun to watch both Marner and Dermott show off their strengths and weaknesses but it's way too early to make a statement on guys like Barzal, Merkley, etc.

Knightnight

Mar 18, 2014
You do realize that not only is this a super small sample size but also that NHL games are a different beast than what we've seen the last few days? This Canada team was attacking relentlessly, even in the game they lost but the pacing in the NHL isn't like this. It was fun to watch both Marner and Dermott show off their strengths and weaknesses but it's way too early to make a statement on guys like Barzal, Merkley, etc.

Not passing comment just on these 2 or 3 games. I look at the past 2 years of CHL and international play. Barzal still a great player. 2 years ago he was the consensus guy to challenge McDavid. Developmentally he has been passed. I just don't hang onto the past like some. I think Merkleys great year and mem cup and showing here he is a player still rising. Plus his tenacity will translate to the NHL better than some IMHO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Thought last night's game was interesting with Marner, Strome, Barzal, and Merkley all playing.

Merkley and Strome just produce points, not always the most noticable, but when you look at the boxscore they are always on it.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I'm so glad we picked Marner, he was my choice all along as well and I believe he'll prove the leaf brass right.

I'm disappointed they passed on Konecny, I think that move will come back to haunt them.

I doubt it. I'm pretty sure we got Dermott and Bracco instead which is a great haul. I like Bracco more than Konecny.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It was a little surprising that coach Dave Lowry after playing Mitchell Stephens and Anthony Beauvillier on the wing in their first game they got a chance to play their center positions in their 2nd game but Marner didn't get a chance to center his own line.

He even moved Strome to the wing (in his 3rd game) to give Stephens a chance to center the line between them and Marner.

Wonder if Marner goes back and plays center in London if coach Lowry will audition him as a center for the WJC team when the final team is assembled.

It looks like he wants to keep pals Strome and Marner together however so that would make Mitch the winger in that situation..

Last edited:

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
strome is a prototypical big center
nothing flashy but goes to the right areas and scores a lot off of broken plays

he'll be a solid piece but will be made by his teammates
Marner is the type of player that makes everyone better but also higher risk of turn overs and injury

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Happy with how Marner and Dermott played. Marner is so smart and creative he stands out almost every shift. I would have been ok with one of Marner, Strome or Hannifin at the draft, I was literally flipping between the 3 every week, I just threw up my hands and new Hunter would pick the right one. Marner is so dynamic, Strome is sneaky good...he seems to be doing nothing, then boom he scores. also..it's August and a short tournament...impossible to make a definitive judgement on these guys based on this week.

Merkley was one I was hoping for for the second first rounder, he showed well in this tournament, but I think Bracco is as good or better. We got Dermott and another pick out of moving back as well so I am happy with Dermott and Brocco+ over just Merkley.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
strome is a prototypical big center
nothing flashy but goes to the right areas and scores a lot off of broken plays

he'll be a solid piece but will be made by his teammates
Marner is the type of player that makes everyone better but also higher risk of turn overs and injury

I thought all the guys I liked and touted before the draft played well this tournament. Merkley and Strome are not as highlight reel noticeable as players. But they are always leading the scoresheet after the game. Thought Barzal was the same, he has such a nice passing touch. Dermott for us, as always stands out to me, when other bigger names are ones you are looking for. Konecny's skating is terrific, he creates chances with it. I thought Marner had a better game the other night, last night he was just ok.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Happy with how Marner and Dermott played. Marner is so smart and creative he stands out almost every shift. I would have been ok with one of Marner, Strome or Hannifin at the draft, I was literally flipping between the 3 every week, I just threw up my hands and new Hunter would pick the right one. Marner is so dynamic, Strome is sneaky good...he seems to be doing nothing, then boom he scores. also..it's August and a short tournament...impossible to make a definitive judgement on these guys based on this week.

Merkley was one I was hoping for for the second first rounder, he showed well in this tournament, but I think Bracco is as good or better. We got Dermott and another pick out of moving back as well so I am happy with Dermott and Brocco+ over just Merkley.

Actual the Bracco (#61) pick came by Leafs trading back from #24 to #29 passing on Travis Konecny (whom Philly traded up to get), then the Leafs trading back a 2nd time from #29 to #34 (Dermott) to get the pick to draft Martins Dzierkals with the 3rd rounder obtained, while passing on Nick Merkley.

It looks like the first trade back while Konecny is a real good player that Dermott + Bracco might be better combined because Jeremy might be a player. However I'm still doubting the 2nd trade back as Dzierkals will need to be a player otherwise its Merkley verses Dermott straight up and Travis will have to hit big to offset Merkley.

All 3 of Konecny, Merkely and Dermott were good in this tournament, increasing their odds of making the WJC, so we will have to see how this all works out for the Leafs down the road.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad