GDT: World Junior Showcase GM4: Thurs 7PM TSN

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Actual the Bracco (#61) pick came by Leafs trading back from #24 to #29 passing on Travis Konecny (whom Philly traded up to get), then the Leafs trading back a 2nd time from #29 to #34 (Dermott) to get the pick to draft Martins Dzierkals with the 3rd rounder obtained, while passing on Nick Merkley.

It looks like the first trade back while Konecny is a real good player that Dermott + Bracco might be better combined because Jeremy might be a player. However I'm still doubting the 2nd trade back as Dzierkals will need to be a player otherwise its Merkley verses Dermott straight up and Travis will have to hit big to offset Merkley.

All 3 of Konecny, Merkely and Dermott were good in this tournament, increasing their odds of making the WJC, so we will have to see how this all works out for the Leafs down the road.

I think it shows a glimpse of what Hunter and Leafs brass saw at the tail end of the 1st round and early second round - a lot of players similar in potential and impact, and figured they could get one on their list by moving back each time and gathering extra picks in the process.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Actual the Bracco (#61) pick came by Leafs trading back from #24 to #29 passing on Travis Konecny (whom Philly traded up to get), then the Leafs trading back a 2nd time from #29 to #34 (Dermott) to get the pick to draft Martins Dzierkals with the 3rd rounder obtained, while passing on Nick Merkley.

It looks like the first trade back while Konecny is a real good player that Dermott + Bracco might be better combined because Jeremy might be a player. However I'm still doubting the 2nd trade back as Dzierkals will need to be a player otherwise its Merkley verses Dermott straight up and Travis will have to hit big to offset Merkley.

All 3 of Konecny, Merkely and Dermott were good in this tournament, increasing their odds of making the WJC, so we will have to see how this all works out for the Leafs down the road.

I liked what I saw from Merkley last night. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Julien was alright I thought, he kinda lacks discipline. Why weren't guys like Chychrun, Brown and Benson there?

Chychrun is hurt currently, Logan Brown is duel citizen and may be committed to the USA team (being USA born) and Tyler Benson is with Team Canada at the U-18 playing in the upcoming Ivan Hlinka tounament.

Julien was the only 2016 draft eligible player invited to the team Canada WJC tryout camp.

Some of these players however might be in consideration for final team based on their season prior to selection camp.

DrJenniferHanson

Cursed By A Gypsy
Aug 31, 2011
43° N lat 81° W long
Ha never mind Strome and Hanifan how about those pushing Barzal. I think its pretty obvious that Marner is on a completely different level. He was stuck playing both of these games with guys who should be 4th line checkers. Stephens and Crouse are not smart enough, quick enough or skilled enough to complement Marner. Marner with Merkley and or Fabbri would be a treat. Love Merkleys skill and compete. He has passed Barzal at this point IMHO. The points also some of those guys played 3 games.

Oh and did anyone once even think wow Marner looks small out there?

100% agreed.

Thought the same things watching. Add me to the chorus that Merkley would be a fantastic complement for Marner.

91Kadri91*

Chychrun is hurt currently, Logan Brown is duel citizen and may be committed to the USA team (being USA born) and Tyler Benson is with Team Canada at the U-18 playing in the upcoming Ivan Hlinka tounament.

Julien was the only 2016 draft eligible player invited to the team Canada WJC tryout camp.

Some of these players however might be in consideration for final team based on their season prior to selection camp.

Brown tried out for Canada, but did not make the U18 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad