OT: World Floorball Championship 2014 (6th - 14th December)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Time for some floorball again! Team Sweden will defend their crown, as they defeated Team Finland in the 2012 WFC.

You can watch most (if not all) the games on IFF's YouTube channels.

Channel 1 (YouTube)
Channel 2 (YouTube)

Schedule (6th - 14th December)

Group A:

Sweden
Latvia
Finland
Germany

Group B:

Norway
Czech Republic
Estonia
Switzerland

Group C:

USA
Japan
Korea
Slovakia

Group D:

Australia
Russia
Denmark
Canada

Last edited:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
I don't know anything about floorball, so I'll just assume the USA is the overwhelming favorite to win it all? :sarcasm:

Would be awesome but I am doubtful. Team Sweden, Finland and Switzerland are the front runners. Anything can happen, though!

THE USA MADE IT!

Is our team all Finnish-Americans?

Found a couple that might have Finnish roots:

79 Vaha-Vahe Mikko (Forward)

15 Andersson Jesse (Defender)

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Hey, is that kid with the "fastest ever shot" playing pro somewhere still?

Otto Tikka, yes, but he's most likely playing semi-pro. Only few can actually play the sport to make a living out of it. That's why I'm so eager to spread the word of floorball like a disease. Such a great sport but it's still very small.

Stamkos, Salming and some others on floorball:

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Nice to see the sport getting some attention in Canada.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Wow... I'd argue that our Blackbirds C-juniors would beat both Team Russia and Australia. :laugh:

E: Actually, they're not so bad afterall. Hasty judgement, I guess.

Last edited:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
I think they have a league or something here, pretty sure I looked into it awhile back (but I could be wrong). Not pro obviously, but if people in this lovely state want to play what looks to be a fun sport.

It is. And it's in some ways easier than hockey, because you have to run instead of skate. Of course, cardio and conditioning are very important, but you don't need that much strength. Also, it's less dangerous.

Signed: Finnish 6th division player and a guy who was mildly concussed on a game today. :laugh:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
It is. And it's in some ways easier than hockey, because you have to run instead of skate. Of course, cardio and conditioning are very important, but you don't need that much strength. Also, it's less dangerous.

Signed: Finnish 6th division player and a guy who was mildly concussed on a game today. :laugh:

Kinda yeah, kinda no. Minor injuries are more frequent than in hockey but you rarely break your bones and such. Joints are taking a heavier load, though.

How have you fared, other than being concussed? I've yet to get a single point this season in 5th division. I think I've got the best +/- in our team, though. :laugh:

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
Kinda yeah, kinda no. Minor injuries are more frequent than in hockey but you rarely break your bones and such. Joints are taking a heavier load, though.

How have you fared, other than being concussed? I've yet to get a single point this season in 5th division. I think I've got the best +/- in our team, though. :laugh:

0+0, 20 PIM. :laugh:

I got a 2+10 today for cross-checking ("unsportsmanlike play"), after getting back at a guy who gave me another shoulder to the head. Basically, it was a face-off situation, I was on the RW, and he proceeded to sprint off and smash my head in the progress. He turned around, said "sorry" in a quick and not-so believable manner, so I shadowed him, he turned his back and I gave him an upper back full of stick. The exchange afterwards went something like "I said sorry! It was an accident!" (the other guy) "That wasn't." (me). I still don't know how he didn't get a penalty for it, ref must've seen it, and even if it was an accident, it should still be penalized. Far from an accidental collision.

The contact I got a bit shaken up (read: mild concussion, as I blacked out for a few seconds, according to some lady who was there) was basically a collision. Got another shoulder to head.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
0+0, 20 PIM. :laugh:

I got a 2+10 today for cross-checking ("unsportsmanlike play"), after getting back at a guy who gave me another shoulder to the head. Basically, it was a face-off situation, I was on the RW, and he proceeded to sprint off and smash my head in the progress. He turned around, said "sorry" in a quick and not-so believable manner, so I shadowed him, he turned his back and I gave him an upper back full of stick. The exchange afterwards went something like "I said sorry! It was an accident!" (the other guy) "That wasn't." (me). I still don't know how he didn't get a penalty for it, ref must've seen it, and even if it was an accident, it should still be penalized. Far from an accidental collision.

The contact I got a bit shaken up (read: mild concussion, as I blacked out for a few seconds, according to some lady who was there) was basically a collision. Got another shoulder to head.

Ugh, doesn't sound like fun. Those kind of incidents are too often left unwhistled.

I've got elboed to the nose in almost every game. Might have something to do with my height. :laugh: Otherwise I've been alright. I could use some reps on shots and dribbling etc. on a real floorball underlay. I mostly train on hard floors at school gyms.

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
Team USA has won both of its games with a whipping goal difference of 21-3. Against the weakest possible opponents but atleast shows that they can score goals.

Can't say team Finland has been impressive. The blue and yellow shirts look like the dominant team, again.

Lennu32

Oct 4, 2011
It sure is fun game to play and inexpensive. Basically all you need is a foorball stick and indoor sport shoes. There's more floorball players in Finland than icehockey or soccer players. It's also suitable for men and women alike and older farts like myself (42 years old) can play it too. A lot of companies give opportunities for their workers to play. It's good for health and team spirit.

I used to play it in 4th division when I was younger and it was really fun, although we lost the game which would have taken us to 3rd.

Still play it with co workers and in a friend team in lesser league. Work as good aerobic exercise.

Paul Bunyan

Jul 5, 2012
Land of Ice and Snow
www.flickr.com
It sure is fun game to play and inexpensive. Basically all you need is a foorball stick and indoor sport shoes. There's more floorball players in Finland than icehockey or soccer players. It's also suitable for men and women alike and older farts like myself (42 years old) can play it too. A lot of companies give opportunities for their workers to play. It's good for health and team spirit.

I used to play it in 4th division when I was younger and it was really fun, although we lost the game which would have taken us to 3rd.

Still play it with co workers and in a friend team in lesser league. Work as good aerobic exercise.

I think it could possibly take off, like a lot of indoor soccer leagues have here (both male/female and co-ed).

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
The bronze goes to Team Czech Republic. Nicely done.

The gold medal game starts at 4.30pm EET.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad