World Cup: Sep 4 GDT - Sweden vs. Finland

Status
Not open for further replies.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
psycho_dad said:
Sweden would not have gotten even close to a tie without a very shaky referee.

Refering was good, neither of the teams didn`t benefit because of refering. Timonen`s penalty wasn`t really that cheap. If he wouldn`t got penalty for cross-checkin he should have gotten holding penalty, because he was pushing Forsberg down to the ice. Not letting him to stand up. And I am not sure did we look the same game, cause it really seemed to me that Sweden was rolling over in our zone long time before the penalty. So even if there wouldn`t have been penalty, Sweden could have change to tie the game. Pressure was very hard in our defensive zone at that moment.

.....but, like mikkoz said about case Timonen is that, if Canada would have played they wouldn`t have got penalty in situation like that.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
TImonen's penalty wasn't the biggest mistake by the refs, it was the non-call on Forsberg who clearly interfered with Kipper moments before Timonen got the penalty.

Apart from those two incidents I thought refs were pretty solid.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
Yeah, the Swedish and Finnish World Cup teams are pretty equal.

So let's go a little OT and make the track and field event Finnkampen (I believe it's called Ruotsi-ottelu in Finnish?) a tiebreaker, today both the Swedish men and women beat Finland pretty well (217-191 for the men and 228.5-178.5 for the women).

:banana:

Eds

Aug 22, 2004
Helsinki
Petey21 said:
So let's go a little OT and make the track and field event Finnkampen (I believe it's called Ruotsi-ottelu in Finnish?) a tiebreaker, today both the Swedish men and women beat Finland pretty well (217-191 for the men and 228.5-178.5 for the women).

:banana:

Now that's a completely different sport.We might as well call the wife carrying championships a tiebreaker.

Besides, we dominated the events in the junior Finnkampen/Ruotsiottelu. :razz:

;)

Astaroth

Apr 22, 2004
Montreal,Qc
gib said:
Refering was good, neither of the teams didn`t benefit because of refering. Timonen`s penalty wasn`t really that cheap. If he wouldn`t got penalty for cross-checkin he should have gotten holding penalty, because he was pushing Forsberg down to the ice. Not letting him to stand up. And I am not sure did we look the same game, cause it really seemed to me that Sweden was rolling over in our zone long time before the penalty. So even if there wouldn`t have been penalty, Sweden could have change to tie the game. Pressure was very hard in our defensive zone at that moment.

.....but, like mikkoz said about case Timonen is that, if Canada would have played they wouldn`t have got penalty in situation like that.

I don't really know about that, the refs were really shaky I felt. They called things that normally would not have been called (those slashing penalties, always at the end of the play when the shot had already been released, guilty as charged but not normally called, Hentunen goalie interference was rather iffy as he touched Telly but more on a side angle, compared to forsberg trippin Kipper... Timmonen, nothing to say much more. I loved how Sweden got two 5 on 3s, one is irregular enough but two?). I felt that the game was a letdown because of that, I mean great game, big rivalry and all but when the game is hard and somewhat dirty, you either let them play or call everything. The refs did some very selective calling and in my opinion very bad calls. Then again it's NHL refs so I'm not really that surprised.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
are swedes afraid of the other sports forum? :D first footy(soccer) and now this :lol

Leo should really have a look at the best goalkeepers thread ;)

teme

Feb 28, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Nice game by both teams, Finns were better on even strength, but Swedes PP is the best I've seen since Pens circa 1991 even if Kipper is so much better than Tellan. Still, cheers to Tellkvist for pulling himself together in the third.

About the refs, I don't know if it worked that much in Swedes favour, the Timonen call was bs tough. But I fo feel bad for the players, both teams were trying to play hard and stay out the box and the duo was basicly calling stuff at random. I trust we won't see them again in this tournament.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
teme said:
Nice game by both teams, Finns were better on even strength, but Swedes PP is the best I've seen since Pens circa 1991 even if Kipper is so much better than Tellan. Still, cheers to Tellkvist for pulling himself together in the third.

About the refs, I don't know if it worked that much in Swedes favour, the Timonen call was bs tough. But I fo feel bad for the players, both teams were trying to play hard and stay out the box and the duo was basicly calling stuff at random. I trust we won't see them again in this tournament.
I wouldn't been surprised if we had been talking 60PIM for Finland if Ruutu and Nieminen would had been playing with that kind of reffing... I think it turns out Summanen actually made a good choice not to play them...

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
psycho_dad said:
And yeah...you swedes want to repeat these world championships wins but....when it matters the most Finland kicks ass. Nagano and yesterday!

Please... yesterday was a tie, not an 'asskicking'.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
mattihp said:
are swedes afraid of the other sports forum? :D first footy(soccer) and now this :lol

Leo should really have a look at the best goalkeepers thread ;)

*Sigh* Look, I made a casual remark that it is very possible that Isaksson is the best keeper in the world right now. If you don't agree with me about that, that's fine. If you have managed to find other posters that don't agree about it either, that's fine too. I really couldn't care less.

Last edited:

SChan*

psycho_dad said:
Oh yes. Can you explain why sweden tried without their goalie in the overtime? Because they were "losing".

but u didn't win the game. It wont stand in the history books that you won this game. it was a tie.

D-iceman

Aug 31, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
psycho_dad said:
Oh yes. Can you explain why sweden tried without their goalie in the overtime? Because they were "losing".

Not loosing the game, they tried to take the first place of the group.
They did absolutely not loose after all.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
psycho_dad said:
They did not gain what they went for. They did not win. In this game nobody cared about winning two points. The win was getting germany in quarters. Finland got that, so they won.

This contrived BS is ridiculous.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
psycho_dad said:
Yeah great game and did the trick...we got germany. Both teams wanted that, finland got it...so we won.

I fail to see why you (and many with you) put so much emphasis on the opposition. There is no silver, bronze, fourth place etc.. the only thing that counts is winning the tournament. If you are going to win the tournament you are bound to face the toughest opposition. There would be no reward for the Finnish team if they reached the semi finals and was there eliminated while the Czechs or the Swedes already were eliminated in the quarterfinals.

With that being said, I surely wouldn't mind if Sweden faced Germany instead, but if the Swedish team is not good enough to beat the Czechs it does not matter one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad