News Article: World Cup returns to Hockey in 2016

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/new-look-world-cup-of-hockey-back-for-2016/

The NHL is expanding it's horizons with the World Cup in 2016, a Ryder Cup style European Tourny in 2018 and plans of returning to Europe in the regular season but in November this time.

The World Cup is penciled in for Toronto Air Canada Center Sep 17-Oct 1 2016

That event will feature eight teams: The six strongest hockey powers (Canada, U.S., Sweden, Russia, Finland, Czech Republic) plus a 23-and-under North American squad and a European all-star team.

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h3 hours ago
World Cup rosters deadline will be March 1, 2016 - each team must name 16 players by then

Last edited:

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
Kopitar will actually have a decent chance since there is a rest of Europe team.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I understand what the NHL and the NHLPA is trying to do here, but I hate how they went about it. Just my opinion.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Does this spell the end of hockey in the Olympics? I have a hard time believing that this will appease and convince Canada and the rest of hockey fans that this is worthy of merit in comparison.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
I understand what the NHL and the NHLPA is trying to do here, but I hate how they went about it. Just my opinion.

I agree completely. Look at how heated the 1996 World Cup was, with tons of hard hitting and fights, the 3-game US/Canada series was some of the best hockey I ever witnessed.

The nationalistic pride goes out the window with the two random teams in there. Put in single game qualifiers and expand the tournament to include other nations to grow the sport, not this random crap of guys who aren't representing any country in particular.

Edit: Just saw this tweet, and thank God they're going with the above suggestion in the following World Cup in 2020.

@reporterchris

The 2016 World Cup format -- with 23-and-under team and European all-stars -- is expected to be a one-off. Solely national teams in 2020.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Does this spell the end of hockey in the Olympics? I have a hard time believing that this will appease and convince Canada and the rest of hockey fans that this is worthy of merit in comparison.

One line of thinking going around is; the NHL assumes all the risk with the games (injuries, transport, disruption of season ETC) but gets zero benefit (no money). While the Governing body of the games makes a fortune with zero risk.

The NHL would like that to end. Some people argue that the games give the NHL exposure. Still it looks like the NHLPA/NHL feel different.

My personal opinnion, I hate the Hockey on big ice, it's terrible if ask me. This last Olympic games was boring as can be. 2010 was amazing though, NHL size rinks.

CTKingsFan

6/11/12 & 6/13/14
Nov 23, 2008
Connecticut
I love the idea of the World Cup. But not the idea of the the 2 inter country teams. Even with 6 countries it changes it. Although the two teams will probably more comeptetive then Slovika or Switzerland. I still rather have them in it. It's gonna be weird for players to play aganist their own country. Almost unpatriotic.

With all the said, I may go to it in 2016. Toronto is a short flight from Connecticut. And I never been to Toronto or seen the hall of fame.

Jason Lewis

Oct 4, 2011
I agree completely. Look at how heated the 1996 World Cup was, with tons of hard hitting and fights, the 3-game US/Canada series was some of the best hockey I ever witnessed.

The nationalistic pride goes out the window with the two random teams in there. Put in single game qualifiers and expand the tournament to include other nations to grow the sport, not this random crap of guys who aren't representing any country in particular.

Edit: Just saw this tweet, and thank God they're going with the above suggestion in the following World Cup in 2020.

@reporterchris

The 2016 World Cup format -- with 23-and-under team and European all-stars -- is expected to be a one-off. Solely national teams in 2020.

Exactly. I wrote on it yesterday. I just can't get on board.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Jason-Lewis/The-World-Cup-of-Hockey-The-Next-Big-Gimmick/179/65844

I get what they are trying to do and having it in place by 2020 is a nice idea. They say it's to give countries time to develop programs. Problem in that reasoning is that the IIHF World Championships already have this format in place with 16 teams. It wouldn't have been all that complicated to work that out into a mid season break and tournament.

They are too focused on the "competition" aspect of it. Probably because of the TV deals and such. Really, it shouldn't matter either because by the end of the tournament of 16 it would be the best teams anyways right? And that would be VERY competitive and even more compelling because of the journey to get there. At the end of the day, is every match in the FIFA world cup competitive? No. But you HAVE to give these countries the right to compete and play for their country. You reward these nations for playing. Not winning. THAT is what grows the sport.

Excluding them right off the bat was a very poor decision that isn't the right message IMO. It isn't fair that they are telling these smaller countries you can't play because you aren't as good as Canada or Sweden. Same with the Ryder cup thing in 2018. North America vs. The World, or whatever. Just silly. Creates an elitist attitude.

I am a huge proponent of growing the sport in countries that don't currently have hockey high on the list. This sends the wrong message as a jumping off point.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Just my opinion.

Jeff18

Nov 12, 2014
Yeah, Team Europe is weird. NHL wants to grow, but I think the IIHF WC every year is good enough.

I kinda like watching the best players from the worst teams play internationally.

redcard

System Poster
Mar 12, 2007

I can get behind it simply because the Olympics take place in February, but this allows the NHL (and all other hockey leagues) to hold a best on best tournament in what would otherwise be the offseason/preseason. If a player gets hurt in the Olympics he might miss the playoffs, if he suffers the same injury in the World Cup he could be back by January/February. I think once most fans realize this they'll like the idea more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad