OT: World Cup of Hockey - 7 Bruins Named to Rosters

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
How bad is Europe team when Seids makes the team on the first cut...

Hopefully, he plays well and up his value so Sweeney can get something back for him.

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
IIRC they tried Bergeron with Crosby in 2010 because of their supposed chemistry from the 2005 WJHC...and it lasted for about a game or two in before they decided it wasn't working and split them up. I can't remember much about 2014 though.

2014 they did not start together but after a couple of games they were put together and stay that way and took GOLD

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I can't believe Carter was already named. I'm not really against him being on the team, but it's just surprising they had him as a lock right off the bat.

Players in bold weren't in the first 16:

Benn-Crosby-Seguin: I have no idea if this combo would work, but you have to at least try it. Two players that are very comfortable playing the wing and who can both put the puck in the net. The big knock on Crosby playing for Canada was not being able to develop chemistry with anyone. Now that he has two players very familiar with playing together, maybe it'll make that transition easier.

Tavares-Getzlaf-Perry: Getzlaf-Perry should be a lock, I was shocked Perry wasn't included but I definitely think he'll be there in September. Tavares is kind of an outcast. I didn't really know where to put him. He can play the cycle game very well though, so he should be able to fit with those two.

O'Reilly-Toews-Carter: I would have put Giroux here over Carter if it was up to me. Carter is fine though, and this should be his spot if he's in the top 12. O'Reilly is too versatile and multi-faceted to leave off, and his ability to play the wing very naturally will certainly help.

Marchand-Bergeron-Stamkos: For God's sake, please give Bergeron a center spot. It's just crazy to me that he's been relegated to the wing in past tournaments considering you lose out on a ton of things he brings to the table if you don't give him more defensive responsibility at center. It might be wishful thinking, but we all know how good the Bergeron-Marchand combo is. If you give him Marchand as well, that duo could simply work like it usually does, leaving Stamkos to do the old, "Hey, I'm open!" to wrap things up with a bow.

Giroux - I didn't object to him being left off last time, but I think he's rounded out his game too much to be left off again. I would definitely have him as the last forward.

Vlasic-Doughty - I feel like these are the two most reliable d-men in the NHL, and they complement each other extremely well. Vlasic allows Doughty to jump up in the play a bit more.

Keith-Weber - Even though I feel like Weber gets overrated, he's still a really good D-man. Keith is Keith. This has worked in the past and you have to go back to it.

Giordano-Pietrangelo - I know some have soured on Pietrangelo, but he should still be on the team. He's still a workhorse that brings absolutely amazing PK skills to the table (this is such an underrated aspect of his game). I'm not the biggest Giordano fan, but I couldn't think of a deserving LD at this point. Hopefully someone emerges.

Burns - He can be an absolute monster and just a really tough player to handle for the other team. There's certainly some flaws in his game, but I definitely think he's worth having somewhere.

Holtby
Price
Crawford - This is the best goaltending Canada has had in a long time. I'm still a bit, "Is he really that good?" with Crawford, although I shouldn't be. I'd give Holtby the start as he seems to handle pressure better.

bruins repeat time

Apr 13, 2012
burlington ont canad
I still believe Marchy is going to make it. Looking at the Canada forwards yesterday trap jesus brought up really the only guy you can even debate-Carter. He has been awesome in other tourneys so I guess he got a pass . The talent Canada has to pick from is beyond sick. They could field three or four competitive teams. The only spot Canada isn't always loaded in is net but as Trap jesus said even it is looking good now.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I haven't paid attention to this tournament, but Team Europe and Team North America? Really? Slovakia and Switzerland, for example, can field half-decent teams by themselves. And why have an under-23 team?

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
I haven't paid attention to this tournament, but Team Europe and Team North America? Really? Slovakia and Switzerland, for example, can field half-decent teams by themselves. And why have an under-23 team?

Yeah, I really hate the gimmick teams. This is a glorified exhibition tournament and I am not so interested in watching it.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
Holtby
Price
Crawford - This is the best goaltending Canada has had in a long time. I'm still a bit, "Is he really that good?" with Crawford, although I shouldn't be. I'd give Holtby the start as he seems to handle pressure better.

Curious as to why you say Holtby handles pressure better than the other two? Price was lights out in Sochi and Crawford has 2 cup runs to his name. Holtby has some nice playoff numbers but that's about it, and has obviously never made it to a final despite those numbers. If Price is 100% it's his net to lose IMO.

As an aside....didn't realize Crawford was 31.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Curious as to why you say Holtby handles pressure better than the other two? Price was lights out in Sochi and Crawford has 2 cup runs to his name. Holtby has some nice playoff numbers but that's about it, and has obviously never made it to a final despite those numbers. If Price is 100% it's his net to lose IMO.

As an aside....didn't realize Crawford was 31.

I just meant compared to Price. Price leaves a lot to be desired in the playoffs, Holtby doesn't.

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Yeah, I really hate the gimmick teams. This is a glorified exhibition tournament and I am not so interested in watching it.

Feels like some sort of all-stars game tourney. I should root for team Europe, i don't know, we ll see, will watch it of course.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

Honestly I woul just rather see them field a second Canadian team (maybe do a western and eastern Canada or similar). Canada has so much talent that a ton of it gets left behind.

I think a mix and match team Europe makes sense though if you want an NHL caliber team that's competitive. Problem with the Olympics is some of the countries that qualify just don't have enough NHL talent to play a team like Canada close enough to make the game interesting. A mix and match team Europe means you can put together an NHL level team.

Problem is outside of Finland, USA, Canada and Sweden there aren't too many elite goaltenders. Just look at team Czech. They don't even have one elite goaltender and the teams I mentioned have at least 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad