Team Europe

#33 - Zdeno Chara (Slovakia)

Cckt15oW4AAYVq7.jpg

#44 - Dennis Seidenberg (Germany)

CckuFMNW4AMLLVx.jpg

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan
Was hoping Marchand was gonna be named, but hopefully on the final roster which will announced June 1....

His work with Bergy is outstanding...

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Marchand definitely deserves to be on Team Canada, but he's pissed too many people off to get a fair shake. Kinda like Isaiah Thomas getting snubbed from the '92 Dream Team.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Was hoping Marchand was gonna be named, but hopefully on the final roster which will announced June 1....

I hope so too. Hopeful that Krug makes Team USA's final roster as well.

I'm really happy for Seids since Germany missed qualifying for Sochi. He can play for his country one last time (most likely).

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Marchand definitely deserves to be on Team Canada, but he's pissed too many people off to get a fair shake. Kinda like Isaiah Thomas getting snubbed from the '92 Dream Team.

First thing that came to my mind too. Due to his reputation, that he earned, this will be his fate. As well as most likely not being an All Star. Too bad because antics aside hes a helluva player.

jdz

May 22, 2013
Mmm because seids and chara need more miles on those legs.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB
I think if Marchy goes plays for Team Canada at the Worlds
this spring(If he gets that chance) will go a long ways to getting picked June 1.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
A lot of experts saying Marchand has a very good chance of making it. They played Bergy on Crosby's wing for both Olympics. I wonder if they'd go Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron.

Or maybe reunite Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin... Been too long since I've seen that one :laugh:

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
IIRC they tried Bergeron with Crosby in 2010 because of their supposed chemistry from the 2005 WJHC...and it lasted for about a game or two in before they decided it wasn't working and split them up. I can't remember much about 2014 though.

moonshot summit

Jun 30, 2015
Halifax, NS
IIRC they tried Bergeron with Crosby in 2010 because of their supposed chemistry from the 2005 WJHC...and it lasted for about a game or two in before they decided it wasn't working and split them up. I can't remember much about 2014 though.

They pretty much played the whole Sochi tournament together I believe.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
They moved Bergeron up to play with Crosby in 2014 when Kunitz and Crosby looked like crap together and it stabilized the line.

Abdelkader over Kessel on Team USA?? That's a huge snub and honestly, a mistake.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
No injuries, please. That's the one thing I hate about all these Olympic/World Cup/IIHF stuff. Even the friendly All Star Game gives me the willies, and I know injury there is a virtual non-entity.

Honestly, I was surprised that Marchand was named as a likely candidate for the early roster, given the history he has, and the pretty good depth Canada has. Wouldn't be shocked either way with him when the full roster is announced.

The one good thing about Team Europe is it does give great players from countries who don't produce tons of players a chance to play in the tournament. It's a little tough to get excited about Switzerland, Norway, Slovakia, and Latvia when their IIHF roster last year had a total of 12 NHL players amongst the four teams. That said, I can see how players would be less than thrilled to play - particularly Slovakia, which actually has a pretty good NHL contingent.

Budddy

Dec 9, 2008
Okanagan

I believe Bergy pulled a groin early in the tourney( first game?) and was used sparingly after that but still took some key faceoffs...

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
They pretty much played the whole Sochi tournament together I believe.

I think Bergy started on a different line and got move to Crosby's and it worked.

Marchand should get chosen. He and Bergy would be the Magic PK pair for the Canadians. I think Marchand deserves to be there. He has more goals than any Canadian not named Benn or Seguin.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
I believe Bergy pulled a groin early in the tourney( first game?) and was used sparingly after that but still took some key faceoffs...

He did, and he looked slow...can remember people saying Bergeron shouldn't have even been on the team, not aware of the injury.

But healthy in 2014, he ended up looking real good and speedy, changed peoples tune on him.

The rest is history.....a locked now for the WC.

DBL

Sep 13, 2002
Visit site
Marchand should get chosen. He and Bergy would be the Magic PK pair for the Canadians. I think Marchand deserves to be there. He has more goals than any Canadian not named Benn or Seguin.

Think Marchand will get chosen, even with his antics. He's just not a first ballot type.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010
They moved Bergeron up to play with Crosby in 2014 when Kunitz and Crosby looked like crap together and it stabilized the line.

Abdelkader over Kessel on Team USA?? That's a huge snub and honestly, a mistake.

Every line they put Bergeron on in 2014 became the best line or one of the best.

Agree with you on Kessel to, he has had a down year but he is a high end player and belongs on the ice at that level of competition.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
He did, and he looked slow...can remember people saying Bergeron shouldn't have even been on the team, not aware of the injury.

But healthy in 2014, he ended up looking real good and speedy, changed peoples tune on him.

The rest is history.....a locked now for the WC.

Yeah I remember people saying he shouldn't have been on the 2014 team before the Olympics. Pretty sure now if you posted a thread about which Canadians should make the team he would be on the vast majority of lists after a few other obvious choices. Problem for Canada is they could probably create two teams and both of them projected to place high and even finish 1/2. Canada has a wealth of talent.

Nice that Pasta and Krejci get to play together. I saw an interview with Pasta and he seemed pretty excited that he was going to play in this tournament.

Ream Europe is almost a team Slovakia with some bits and pieces from other parts of Europe thrown in.

Era of Sanity

Certified Poster
Nov 12, 2010

Hockey Canada shouldn't be too down on him, he came up big at the world juniors several years ago as was a reason they won that tournament.

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
i want team north america to win because of their jerseys

FinnBruin

Aug 6, 2014
Germany
I hope so too. Hopeful that Krug makes Team USA's final roster as well.

I'm really happy for Seids since Germany missed qualifying for Sochi. He can play for his country one last time (most likely).

I'd hardly call this playing for his country.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Damn those Finland jerseys look awesome. Gonna have to get a Rask one, but not sure, home or road. USA jersey's look pretty good too, especially the road white. Same for the Russians. Canada, I'm not so sure on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad