GWT: World Cup - Group A (Netherlands and Senegal Advance)

Who Advances?

• Qatar

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Netherlands

Votes: 66 97.1%
  • Senegal

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Ecuador

Votes: 29 42.6%

• Total voters

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
They've really played well and met this tough challenge from Ecuador well. Shame Mane's out, but they've come together really well without him...rather than playing for their star, like Portugal does...so maybe we're seeing some Ewing-effect in action?

Plus they've got a german youth team product starting for them (Jakobs), and that always gets bonus points lol
I really thought that Ecuador would neutralize them, all credit to Senegal but I truly do think Ecuador played their worst game of the tournament when it mattered the most which was this all important 3rd game. I mean all they needed was a draw. But yeah credit to Senegal! They’ve always been my favorite African side since 02 I loved that team and their coach was part of that team so all the best for them.

Reactions: cgf

Karterthadon

Nov 1, 2022
Senegal's little run in 2002 was a really fun ride. The 2002 team was substantially better than this one though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Handedly might not have been the right word, but they did outclass them. First half could have been 2,3-0 Senegal.

It could've, but it also could've ended in a draw; as it was a hardfought match...like we tried to tell you...

None of us said that Senegal couldn't win, just that Ecuador hasn't been a push over for much better teams than senegal and were going to be a tough out for whoever eventually eliminated them.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
It could've, but it also could've ended in a draw; as it was a hardfought match...like we tried to tell you...

None of us said that Senegal couldn't win, just that Ecuador hasn't been a push over for much better teams than senegal and were going to be a tough out for whoever eventually eliminated them.

I don't think it was "hard fought" honestly. Just because the score ended up being 2-1 doesn't change the fact that Senegal showed they were the better side by a decent margin.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't think it was "hard fought" honestly. Just because the score ended up being 2-1 doesn't change the fact that Senegal showed they were the better side by a decent margin.

I don't disagree...Ecuador certainly played their worst match of the tourney, as their age seemed to show...but that also doesn't mean that Senegal could've easily gone out there if one ball had bounced in ecuadors favor there down the stretch.

The better side doesn't always win, and being able to keep yourself in it as the inferior side, is a strength of this ecuadorian team...that's why I called them SA's Switzerland.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Any shouts for Man of the Group?

I would have to give it to Cody Gakpo here

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
#
Gakpo or Valencia; given that the Dutch advanced, I'd give it to Valencia
Valencia was my ”runner up” don’t think we are reinventing the wheel but that’s fine.

Valencia Gakpo Sarr
Caicedo Frenkie Preciado
Estupinan Ake Virgil Timber
Mendy (I guess)

Prob team of group to me? Dutch defenders kind of by default

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
#

Valencia was my ”runner up” don’t think we are reinventing the wheel but that’s fine.

Valencia Gakpo Sarr
Caicedo Frenkie Preciado
Mendy (I guess)

I also meant I'd give it to Gakpo but I was talking while I typed

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
#

Valencia Gakpo Sarr
Caicedo Frenkie Preciado
Mendy (I guess)

Noppert

Sabaly
Timber
Koulibaly
Estupiñán

Klaasen
de Jong