World Cup: World Cup 2030 spread across 6 countries on 3 continents?

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lol and Africa just has 2010… plus if you count MENA as one entity you include Qatar. But who really cares?

Yeah and that's the only WC Africa has had.

And please. A WC in Qatar has nothing to do with Morocco at all. It's not the same region, culture or about anything else besides being a Muslim-majority country. Qatar having received a WC should have zero bearing on Morocco getting one.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yeah and that's the only WC Africa has had.

And please. A WC in Qatar has nothing to do with Morocco at all. It's not the same region, culture or about anything else besides being a Muslim-majority country. Qatar having received a WC should have zero bearing on Morocco getting one.
I mean they’re both Arab. Not like South Africa has anything to do with Morocco. Other than the same continent.

Plus Morocco would be sharing it with European countries when Russia hosted it in 2018. To get upset that SA should get the 100 year anniversary is misplaced imo.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean they’re both Arab. Not like South Africa has anything to do with Morocco. Other than the same continent.

Plus Morocco would be sharing it with European countries when Russia hosted it in 2018. To get upset that SA should get the 100 year anniversary is misplaced imo.

'I mean they're both Arab' undermines the fact that a massive part of the population in Morocco is Berber, not Arab. It's stupid. Qatar shouldn't be brought up in relation to Morocco getting a WC at all. If you said Algeria or Tunisia, okay. Not Qatar.

At least South Africa is in the same continent. Portugal and Morocco never hosted the WC. It's time. Uruguay and Argentina have both hosted before.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
'I mean they're both Arab' undermines the fact that a massive part of the population in Morocco is Berber, not Arab. It's stupid. Qatar shouldn't be brought up in relation to Morocco getting a WC at all. If you said Algeria or Tunisia, okay. Not Qatar.

At least South Africa is in the same continent. Portugal and Morocco never hosted the WC. It's time.
I mean a lot of countries don’t have a single race as the only population. Not really relevant.

Many countries haven’t hosted. Hell I wouldn’t mind it in Morocco as it gives me and my Moroccan friend a chance to go there again. Or anywhere as like I said it’s the WC and it will deliver. I’m just saying to get upset it would be In SA is misplaced.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I mean a lot of countries don’t have a single race as the only population. Not really relevant.

Many countries haven’t hosted. Hell I wouldn’t mind it in Morocco as it gives me and my Moroccan friend a chance to go there again. Or anywhere as like I said it’s the WC and it will deliver. I’m just saying to get upset it would be In SA is misplaced.

My point is that bringing up Qatar in relation to Morocco was a silly point to make. They're similar in the most superficial of ways.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
They're not similar to either of them. What a dumb point to make. It's like saying Denmark is more similar to Canada than Argentina. Who gives a f***?
Are you capable of having a discussion without insulting or acting erratic? Brazil hosting the tournament in 2014 has nothing to do with Uruguay, Argentina...

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Are you capable of having a discussion without insulting or acting erratic? Brazil hosting the tournament in 2014 has nothing to do with Uruguay, Argentina...

Stop repeating dumb stuff and the stuff you say won't be called dumb. This one's on you partner. You keep doubling down on something stupid. Yeah, eventually I'm going to call it for what it is.

And how does Brazil hosting a WC have nothing to do with Uruguay/Argentina? They're in the same continent and FIFA tries to rotate as much as it can. That's why 2034 will be in Asia.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Stop repeating dumb stuff and the stuff you say won't be called dumb. This one's on you partner. You keep doubling down on something stupid. Yeah, eventually I'm going to call it for what it is.

And how does Brazil hosting a WC have nothing to do with Uruguay/Argentina? They're in the same continent and FIFA tries to rotate as much as it can. That's why 2034 will be in Asia.
You’re literally not worth it. I’ll just save us both time and put you on ignore. Why anyone would get this upset over nothing, is just crazy. You sound unhinged.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
You’re literally not worth it. I’ll just save us both time and put you on ignore. Why anyone would get this upset over nothing, is just crazy. You sound unhinged.

I'm not upset, I just thought the point you were making was a poor one. At a certain point if you keep trying to make it, I'm going to say it's dumb. If your feelings get hurt over it, sorry.

The only times I get insulting is for racism/defending abusive behavior (or I guess, racism-adjacent when it comes to questioning the integrity of decisions one can make) and spamming.

Obviously that's not the case here but at a certain point, if you get told 'this comparison between Qatar and Morocco doesn't hold' and you keep trying to make it, you're asking for the point to get called dumb because it simply is. We're online. I'm not going to mince words.

Last edited:

member 305909

This is actually unfair on South-America as this will be counted as their turn and the next turn comes who knows when.

Reactions: GabeTravels

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I feel like the key piece here is that, as I understand, the South American associations determined they couldn't do a bid financially. This is not a case of them picking Spain Portugal Morocco above SA.

Reactions: Jussi

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Yeah exactly. This is a good way of honoring the first one while hosting it where it’s actually feasible.

Honestly, when I think about it, I don't get why Argentina and Paraguay are getting games. They didn't host the initial tournament. Have the opener in Montevideo and call it a day.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
FIFA World Cup host selection processes have always been about the politics of bribery and ego. The fact we've known this for decades doesn't mean FIFA has any incentive to change. Infantino made himself look like a buffoon over the Qatar WC but it doesn't matter as long as he has the votes one way or another. They'll keep continuing down the same path because there's no need for them to stop.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
FIFA World Cup host selection processes have always been about the politics of bribery and ego. The fact we've known this for decades doesn't mean FIFA has any incentive to change. Infantino made himself look like a buffoon over the Qatar WC but it doesn't matter as long as he has the votes one way or another. They'll keep continuing down the same path because there's no need for them to stop.

They say that Stanley Rous was the last non-corrupt FIFA president.

Hard to say how true that is about him (although he had his faults in politics e.g regarding South Africa/apartheid etc.), but everyone since has been terrible regarding corruption.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
People complaining like they aren’t going to watch it
I will watch it, it doesn't mean I can't complain about a stupid decision.

We've just had the absolute worst EURO ever. Instead of learning from it, FIFA is taking from it.

Can't wait for a country to have to do an away game in Uruguay and then come to Portugal to play Portugal "away" as well. Very fair.

That's what happened to us in the EURO, we played both England and Scotland "away".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Lol apparently Argentina is already asking for more games (LOL!) and Morocco-Spain seem undecided on where the final is played (Madrid or Casablanca) The latter makes a bit more sense (though I suspect Madrid gets it) but Argentina is such a joke.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Why are people still talking as if the entire tournament is split across the ocean when that is just literally untrue

Lol apparently Argentina is already asking for more games (LOL!) and Morocco-Spain seem undecided on where the final is played (Madrid or Casablanca) The latter makes a bit more sense (though I suspect Madrid gets it) but Argentina is such a joke.
Casablanca would be way more fun

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I will watch it, it doesn't mean I can't complain about a stupid decision.

We've just had the absolute worst EURO ever. Instead of learning from it, FIFA is taking from it.

Can't wait for a country to have to do an away game in Uruguay and then come to Portugal to play Portugal "away" as well. Very fair.

That's what happened to us in the EURO, we played both England and Scotland "away".

And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's only the first 3 games. Essentially, three teams have to do a back-and-forth between continents. I'm sure it'll be set up to give them a bit of a longer break after the initial match to readjust. It's really not that serious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad