World Cup: World Cup 2030 spread across 6 countries on 3 continents?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
It's only the first 3 games. Essentially, three teams have to do a back-and-forth between continents. I'm sure it'll be set up to give them a bit of a longer break after the initial match to readjust. It's really not that serious.

Even for the three host teams, it will be less than ideal to have to travel from their home country across the sea for the rest of the tournament.

Usually teams travel to the host nation well ahead of the tourney to whatever hotel/training facilities they booked and start training there.
In this case the three host nations in South America will either have to do that between their first and second game or they have to travel to Spain/Portugal/Morocco beforehand and do the same back and forth as their opponents.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Even for the three host teams, it will be less than ideal to have to travel from their home country across the sea for the rest of the tournament.

Usually teams travel to the host nation well ahead of the tourney to whatever hotel/training facilities they booked and start training there.
In this case the three host nations in South America will either have to do that between their first and second game or they have to travel to Spain/Portugal/Morocco beforehand and do the same back and forth as their opponents.

Sounds like the host teams shouldn't have asked for the games then. They want this.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's only the first 3 games. Essentially, three teams have to do a back-and-forth between continents. I'm sure it'll be set up to give them a bit of a longer break after the initial match to readjust. It's really not that serious.
I'm not talking about the travel, I'm talking about the (very real) possibility that a team has to play multiple "away" games in the WC group stage.

Though travel definitely comes into it, especially for the fans.

EURO in Germany, we take 2 weeks off work and book hotels/motels/tickets for 1/2/3 group games.
Maybe you book tickets for the 2nd round as well.

WC game in Paraguay, then the next 2 games in Morocco? Who's gonna do that?

There is no logical explanation for this that holds up in terms of sporting integrity or benefits to the teams or fans.
It's just about money. And you have to be extremely naive to think otherwise IMO.

And yes, IMO, it is potential a very big deal, especially for the 3 nations that end up playing "away" games in South America.

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
I don't love the idea of the split across the Atlantic (and seasons! It'll be winter in the southern hemisphere, gonna make adjusting to the Mediterranean summer pretty difficult).

But, I admit I do like them acknowledging the 100th anniversary. Wish it was the whole tournament though.

I'm already loosely planning travel for Portugal/Spain/Morocco. It'll be too tough to get tickets for the South America games.

What I think is incredibly scummy is FIFA counting this as a CONMEBOL host. With CONCACAF, UEFA, CAF, and CONMEBOL out of the picture, it lines up for Saudi 2034. Which likely means another Winter World Cup.

I suppose it's possible we'll see Japan/SK, or China putting in a bid, but I think Saudi Arabia will be the clear favorite. Even an Australia/New Zealand bid likely won't compete.

Sigh...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad