Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Raphael Claus

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
What are your thoughts on the refs in the finals? Who do think will be the ref in the opening match and in the final?

With Italy not in the tournament, I'd guess that Daniele Orsato is a strong candidate to be the ref in the final. He has refereed a CL final and was selected as the best ref in 2020.

Don't really know the refs from non-European countries, but a couple of them should be expected to be selected until QFs at least. What's the latest stage a female ref will in charge, QFs again?

Here are some articles about tournament refs:

"World Cup officials, who won’t be given their first World Cup assignments until 72 hours before kickoff, are evaluated after each group-stage game, with those who score well moving on to work a match in the round of 16. "

When it comes to World Cup referees, FIFA is showing a red card to its old ways

Personally I would have liked to see France's Francois Le Texier at the tournement, but they probably couldn't take any more refs from France and he is young enough to take part in future tournaments.

Every referee at the 2022 World Cup

World Cup 2022 referees: Who will officiate the matches in Qatar?

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
My bad, I thought I had hit reply to only part. Why does this mean he can’t ref the final?

Well, in theory I guess he could.

But I don't think a ref in charge of the opening match has ever been chosen to be the ref in the final. I suppose both selections have been considered prestigious enough in themselves.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Yea it has already happened twice where someone reffed the opener and the final. I'm not a soccer ref but I do know something about this reffing subject and well that's all I should say about that. They will pick the highest graded official for the final so if he does a perfect job (VAR overturning any of his decisions makes him not perfect FWIW) for the 4-5 games he's there, he'll ref the final. There's also the factor of FIFA picking an official for the final who is wealthy enough to not be tempted to take a bribe, so whether they admit to it or not they already have a list of officials for the final that they're picking from. If you ref the opener you are probably on that list.

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Well,

the semi-final refs have been appointed, they're Daniel Orsato (Italy) and Cesar Ramos (Mexico).

All in all, FIFA have announced that 12 refs been retained for the tournament, so the 3rd place and final refs will be one of these.

Surprised that Michael Oliver was sent home already, compared to some of the names remaining. At least Lahoz isn't there anymore.

Also, I don't hope either of the Brazilian guys will ref the final.

Anthony Taylor (ENG)

Daniele Orsato (ITA)

Danny Makkelie (NED)

Szymon Marciniak (POL)

Abdulrahman Al-Jassim (QAT)

Muhammad Abdulla Hassan Muhammad (UAE)

Mustapha Ghorbal (ALG)

Cesar Ramos (MEX)

Ismail Elfath (USA)

Raphael Claus (BRA)

Wilton Sampaio (BRA)

Jesus Valenzuela (VEN)

Sampaio 'could referee World Cup final' after infuriating England

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Poland's Szymon Marciniak will be the final ref. He has already been in charge of both team's matches, France vs Demark group stage and Argentina vs Australia R16.

USA's Ismal Elfath will be the 4th official in the final.

Qatar's own boy Al-Jassim will take care of the 3rd place match.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Poland's Szymon Marciniak will be the final ref. He has already been in charge of both team's matches, France vs Demark group stage and Agentina vs Australia R16.

USA's Ismal Elfath will be the 4th official in the final.

Like everyone in the history of the earth said, if you want something done right, go Polish.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
You know, I'm not happy with this lol.
3rd place still matters, and they gave it a local ref who hasn't had a game since the Group Stage and the only game I remember him reffing, he whistled for a foul every time a player went down, regardless of the amount of contact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad