OT: World Cup 2022 (Human Rights Optional) - Let's Get Stoned!

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
From Dybala’s first start with the national team. He got sent off with a red card in the first half, something that Messi knows about himself since he did the same but I think it was a minute in.

447C49B9-BF64-46E7-B736-FF372F24E87B.jpeg
8586E462-DAEF-49DC-93B4-52D975FB7944.jpeg
C488E9FF-4C51-4B26-9309-8C702A665913.jpeg

Reactions: BigToe

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
He’s one of the best ever. IDK about goat. He’s so much more likable than Ronaldo. That one is a bitch boy. I’ve been a big fan of Messi for awhile. I’ve gotta get in some more viewings of PSG. They’ve got Messi, Mbappe, and Neymar.

That's very true, but it's also very true of everyone on Earth this side of Putin. It takes about one match of Messi playing against your team when you start to hate him - not because he beats you, but because all of the snide aspects of his game and personality show themselves.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Jesus H Christ they're trying to figure out some really stupid gimmick there, aren't they

Martinez looks like the king of the world there, hehe

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
So my $0.02 on the greatest ever question... for me it (in my uneducated opinion) it comes down to Pele and Messi. But I only saw Pele at the very end of his career when he was playing for the Cosmos in the old NASL (him and Beckenbauer). I wouldn't feel comfortable picking between the two but I'm comfortable saying that Messi is the best I've seen.

The argument some people make against Pele is that he never played in Europe and scored a bunch of goals for Santos in a weak league. Fine, but his international career stands with anyone I think. He was the best player on the strongest national team of the era. And the countries that produced the best players then are pretty much the same ones that produce the best players now. Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, England, Germany, etc...

It's not like hockey where the US is orders of magnitude stronger now that we were in 1980. I'd say that top players in hockey now are coming from a wider variety of countries now compared to the '70s while in soccer that's much less true. So Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, those guys from the '60s and '70s should still be in the conversation.

Last edited:
Reactions: CanadianFlyer88

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So my $0.02 on the greatest ever question... for me it (in my uneducated opinion) it comes down to Pele and Messi. But I only saw Pele at the very end of his career when he was playing for the Cosmos in the old NASL (him and Beckenbauer). I wouldn't feel comfortable picking between the two but I'm comfortable saying that Messi is the best I've seen.

The argument some people make against Pele is that he never played in Europe and scored a bunch of goals for Santos in a weak league. Fine, but his international career stands with anyone I think. He was the best player on the strongest national team of the era. And the countries that produced the best players then are pretty much the same ones that produce the best players now. Brazil, Argentina, France, Germany, etc...

It's not like hockey where the US is orders of magnitude stronger now that we were in 1980. I'd say that top players in hockey now are coming from a wider variety of countries now compared to the '70s while in soccer that's much less true. So Pele, Beckenbauer, Cruyff, those guys from the '60s and '70s should still be in the conversation.

Watching a lot of both, albeit on tape...

I think Eusabio from same era was better than Pele. Far more explosive and scored goals at a better rate at arguably a better level of football.

A lot of Brazilians would say Pele is only ~2nd-3rd best Brazilian ever, he gets more praise in Europe than South America. Garrincha is probably the #1 in Brazil, and Jairzinho in similar level to Pele from what I understand.

I think:

Messi, Ronaldo, Pele, Eusabio, Garrincha, Beckenbaeur, Maradona, Cruyff, Puskas... are all guys that can make "an argument" for. Albeit some stronger than others.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

The argument some people make against Pele is that he never played in Europe and scored a bunch of goals for Santos in a weak league. Fine, but his international career stands with anyone I think. He was the best player on the strongest national team of the era. And the countries that produced the best players then are pretty much the same ones that produce the best players now. Brazil, Argentina, France, Italy, England, Germany, etc...

Pele is Brazilian.

Reactions: Chinatown88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad