WC: World Champs to see better viewer ratings in Canada?

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Since Canada will not be represented in the NHL playoffs this season, could it lead to an increase in interest/viewer ratings in Canada for the World Champs?

I can imagine quite a few Canadians would be interested to see how McDavid would fair in the WC rather than watching an all american playoffs.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Since Canada will not be represented in the NHL playoffs this season, could it lead to an increase in interest/viewer ratings in Canada for the World Champs?

I can imagine quite a few Canadians would be interested to see how McDavid would fair in the WC rather than watching an all american playoffs.

McDavid is not enough. The 1/2 final and/or the final, if Canada makes it there, will get ratings, but Canadians tuning in in large numbers just to see McDavid at the WHC? That's not enough imo.

The NHL playoffs will always be a bigger draw regardless of Canadian teams participating or not.

If I had to choose, I'd rather watch Anaheim vs San Jose than Canada vs Hungary at the WHC, with or without McDavid.

just to add, I wouldn't mind if the WHC does get better ratings, as it would just serve as another kick in the groin to the Rogers SN crew and their crappy broadcasts. TSN is where they do hockey right.

The WHC will always be a mid-afternoon warm-up to that evening's NHL playoff action. Send a good team, with star appeal, make it to the 1/2 final/final and Canadians will watch.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Timezone and a lifetime of not caring about that tournament will keep viewership low. There might be a slight increase in viewership, which would be nice. Most Canadians will still watch NHL playoff hockey though, regardless of whether their team is active (though many Canadians support American teams) or not. The quality of hockey is too good to ignore in the playoffs, and watching playoff games at night is basically a spring tradition nationally.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen

No. The games are at different times entirely so don't really compete

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
No. The games are at different times entirely so don't really compete

True, but TSN will very likely show some of the games in primetime. Its a big problem that those games won't be live though.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I'll watch it, I always enjoy the World Championships. It's in Russia so the games would be on in the mornings or afternoons.

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I will watch it also, and for me im much more interested in watching the worlds than the world cup, the worlds is always a great tournament i love it! go canada go!! :handclap:

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
I always love it when the WC is on. Watch WC in the morning/afternoon and playoff hockey in the evening. Best time for a hockey fan.

JA

TSN needs to advertise it as a draft showcase.

Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, and Jesse Puljujärvi are all expected to participate.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
No allowance for the NHL playoffs, and no interest in North America. It's a fairly direct relationship. You'll get some diehards but nothing like mass interest.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I am sure there will be a marginal increase as you're likely to get a lot of Canadian team players participating in it for the various nations in the tournament, plus your national team games.

It won't surpass the NHL playoffs in terms of people watching in Canada in my opinion and I don't think that will be close.

But you should see a bump, will Montreal fans if they are home watch Patches and Gally play for Team USA? Likely, and that wouldn't be the case if they weren't available. So that should give a little bump. The Canadian team will likely be watched by the same people that watch it annually plus a little bump for people that like I already said are tuning in to watch their guys from their club team play more hockey this year.

WMT

Jul 1, 2015
Toronto, ON
Last year's ratings were pretty good. And we had a few Canadian teams in the playoffs.

A total of 10.5 million viewers, or nearly one-third of Canada’s population, tuned in to watch some part of TSN’s expanded TV coverage of the 2015 IIHF World Championship hockey tournament – and more than four million unique viewers watched Team Canada take the tournament’s Gold Medal.

Preliminary overnight data from Numeris shows a record-breaking average audience of more than 1.5 million viewers watched Canada’s 6-1 victory over Russia on TSN, making it the most-watched Gold Medal Game in tournament history and the most-watched broadcast of the day.

The average audience for Sunday’s game was up 11 per cent over the previous tournament record -1.35 million for the 2005 final.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Probably a small uptick as a result. But Canadians teams lately haven't gone that far in the Playoffs anyways.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
TSN needs to advertise it as a draft showcase.

Auston Matthews, Patrik Laine, and Jesse Puljujärvi are all expected to participate.

It will be promoted as the McDavid Show and his 1st. taste of action on the Senior National Team.

and while I'm sure the hardcore Canadian fantasy GM hockey fan would keep one eye on the tournament and draft eligible players, but Canadians would not tune in en masse to see the three you identified, and has already been pointed out to you, the Finns are doubtful.

The only thing I'm interested in seeing is McDavid v Eichel and can Hockey Canada string together 2 strong tournaments in consecutive years.

JA

That is disappointing. Any reason for that? The last time I checked the Team Finland discussion thread -- a while ago, mind you -- it seemed clear that these players would be considered. With the way that they have played as of late, I feel like they would be obvious candidates.

At the time, players such as Lauri Korpikoski, Teemu Hartikainen, and Markus Granlund were being penciled in. Ma. Granlund has had a rather abysmal season with the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames. This seems like a rather weak year for Finnish forwards at the WC, considering several of the top Finnish talents are competing in the NHL playoffs. Are they really deemed to be less capable, or are they merely too young?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Last year's ratings were pretty good. And we had a few Canadian teams in the playoffs.

A total of 10.5 million viewers, or nearly one-third of Canada’s population, tuned in to watch some part of TSN’s expanded TV coverage of the 2015 IIHF World Championship hockey tournament – and more than four million unique viewers watched Team Canada take the tournament’s Gold Medal.

Preliminary overnight data from Numeris shows a record-breaking average audience of more than 1.5 million viewers watched Canada’s 6-1 victory over Russia on TSN, making it the most-watched Gold Medal Game in tournament history and the most-watched broadcast of the day.

The average audience for Sunday’s game was up 11 per cent over the previous tournament record -1.35 million for the 2005 final.

That's a very good point. Didn't consider last years numbers. Will be hard to top.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Canada's team last year was just so dominant and talented. I think the viewership will depend on what guys end up going. If the top talent say yes and go over, I think viewership could be high. Might not be as many as last year though.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That is disappointing. Any reason for that? The last time I checked the Team Finland discussion thread -- a while ago, mind you -- it seemed clear that these players would be considered. With the way that they have played as of late, I feel like they would be obvious candidates.

At the time, players such as Lauri Korpikoski, Teemu Hartikainen, and Markus Granlund were being penciled in. Ma. Granlund has had a rather abysmal season with the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames. This seems like a rather weak year for Finnish forwards at the WC, considering several of the top Finnish talents are competing in the NHL playoffs. Are they really deemed to be less capable, or are they merely too young?

Too young and inexperienced. Puljujärvi has yet to play for the senior team and Laine showed in his two games that he's got lot to learn.

JA

Too young and inexperienced. Puljujärvi has yet to play for the senior team and Laine showed in his two games that he's got lot to learn.
There is lots of chatter right now in the Team Finland thread about Laine and Puljujärvi being potential participants. Current circumstances seem to have enabled them a good opportunity to be awarded roster positions.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I know I won't care more than usual. Phony tourney is phony regardless.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
There is lots of chatter right now in the Team Finland thread about Laine and Puljujärvi being potential participants. Current circumstances seem to have enabled them a good opportunity to be awarded roster positions.

Eh... There are nearly 50 better wingers available for the games in Finland.

They can make the team only on HFboards.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00