World Championships thread (Eichel, ROR, Girgs going)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
I'd think Lehner might get a call from Team Sweden.

Risto for Finland.

Eichel/McCabe for USA.

ROR for Canada. Maybe Kane.

Kulikov for Russia.

Those are the ones I think will get an invite -- of course, it's up to them if they actually play.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Until we win a playoff series I do not want any of the Sabres going anywhere. They seem to get sick or hurt just getting out of bed. No risks please.

DazedandConfused

thanks tips
Jul 30, 2013
Edmonton
Boycott an IIHF event because of an NHL decision?

:laugh:

Yeah, think he confused it with the World Cup.

Can't watch the tournament anyways, besides a Sunday game. I guess Reinhart, Risto, McCabe, maybe Ullmark or Lehner, but no contract at the moment so meh.

Eichel and ROR, I don't know how banged up they are with injuries.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Hockey isn't over yet for Sabres' forward Ryan O'Reilly who said he will be part of Team Canada at the IIHF World Championship, scheduled for May 5-21 in Cologne, Germany and Paris, France. This is the fourth time O'Reilly will play for Canada in the World Championship. He had two goals and six assists as Canada won the gold medal last year. He's played 35 games at the World Championship with seven goals and 19 assists. "I got the call like a week or so ago and absolutely I'm going."

For O'Reilly, the lure of playing for Team Canada, aside from pulling on the national-team jersey, is two-fold – it's a chance to win and an opportunity to prepare for the NHL playoff hockey he hopes to be playing in the future. "It's always an opportunity to win," O'Reilly said. "It's disappointing because I want to be in the playoffs. I'd rather be there. But still it's a great tournament and it gives a chance to win and I think it's good preparation for the playoffs. I'm still playing hockey at that time. If we were going to the playoffs I'd have to find a way to produce, so I look at this as another opportunity to keep going and hopefully win."

Rasmus Ristolainen was indecisive about playing for Finland in the tournament. "I haven't thought about it too much," Ristolainen said. "Probably make the decision in the next couple of days." Sam Reinhart said he has not been contacted by Team Canada.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/10/ryan-oreilly-will-represent-team-canada-iihf-world-championship/

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2017/04/10/guerin-drury-named-to-u-s-management-team-for-worlds/

USA Hockey is going with a collaborative approach for selecting this year’s roster for the World Hockey Championships.

The National Team Advisory Group — led by USA Hockey’s Jim Johannson — was announced on Monday, and included a pair of former NHLers now in managerial roles: Bill Guerin, currently the assistant GM in Pittsburgh, and Chris Drury, who serves the same role for the Rangers.

More:

[The National Team Advisory Group also] includes NHL general managers Stan Bowman (Chicago Blackhawks), Dean Lombardi (L.A. Kings), David Poile (Nashville Predators), and Ray Shero (New Jersey Devils), along with Florida Panthers President of Hockey Operations Dale Tallon and Carolina Hurricanes President Don Waddell.

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
I'd like to see Eichel stay home and be 100% fully recovered for next season.

High ankle sprains can be nagging injuries that take a long time to fully heal. Who knows how much it's been bothering him over the last few months, but I'd like him to use the opportunity to let it (and any other nagging injuries) fully heal.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA

High ankle sprains can be nagging injuries that take a long time to fully heal. Who knows how much it's been bothering him over the last few months, but I'd like him to use the opportunity to let it (and any other nagging injuries) fully heal.

I flip flop. I agree with you but also love the idea of him getting exposure outside of our room from pros

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I flip flop. I agree with you but also love the idea of him getting exposure outside of our room from pros

That's about the only upside. I'm leaning more toward shutting it down right now, but depending on who's going, it could be a good venue for him.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Jeff Blashill, who recently completed his second season as head coach of the NHL's Detroit Red Wings, has been named head coach of the 2017 United States Men's National Team that will compete in the upcoming IIHF Men's World Championship. The event is set for May 5-May 21 in Cologne, Germany, and Paris, France.

Blashill will be making his debut as head coach of the United States Men's National Team. He has previously been involved with United States teams in international competition as goatlending coach for the 2009 United States National Junior Team at the IIHF World Junior Championship and as assistant coach for both the United States Junior Select Team at the 2009 World Junior A Challenge and the United States National Under-18 Select Team at the 2006 Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament.

Before joining Detroit, Blashill for three seasons (2012-2015) was the head coach of the Grand Rapids Griffins, the Red Wings' AHL affiliate. He led the club to three of the most successful years in franchise history, highlighted by a 2012-2013 campaign that ended with the first Calder Cup championship in the 17-year history of the franchise.

Rest Of The Press Release - http://teamusa.usahockey.com/news_article/show/780186?referrer_id=695820

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The coaching staff is now in place as Team Canada prepares to compete at the 2017 IIHF World Championship in Paris, France, and Cologne, Germany.

Jon Cooper (Prince George, British Colombia/Tampa Bay, NHL) has been named head coach of Canada’s National Men’s Team in his first stint with Hockey Canada. Cooper will be joined behind the bench by assistant coaches Gerard Gallant (Summerside, Prince Edward Island), Dave Hakstol (Drayton Valley, Alberta/Philadelphia, NHL), and Dave King (Saskatoon, Saskatchewan).

Jon Cooper joined the Tampa Bay Lightning midway through the 2012-2013 season as head coach – a position he holds to this day – following two-and-a-half seasons in the AHL with the Norfolk Admirals and Syracuse Crunch. He was an assistant coach for Team North America at last fall’s World Cup of Hockey and guided the Lightning to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2015. Cooper has also held head coaching positions for teams in the CSHL, MWEHL, NAHL, and USHL.

Rest Of The Press Release - https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/news/2017-mwc-coaching-staff-named-for-iihf-worlds

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

USA Hockey announced today an initial roster of 15 players that will represent the United States Men’s National Team at the 2017 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s World Championship May 5-21 in Cologne, Germany, and Paris, France.

The roster is highlighted by five players who helped guide the United States to a bronze medal at the 2015 IIHF Men’s World Championship in Ostrava and Prague, Czech Republic, including Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets), Dylan Larkin (Detroit Red Wings), Anders Lee (New York Islanders), Connor Murphy (Arizona Coyotes) and Brock Nelson (New York Islanders). J.T. Compher (Colorado Avalanche) and Connor Murphy( Arizona Coyotes) return to the United States Men's National Team after helping last year's squad - the youngest in the tournament - finish fourth in the world championship in Moscow and St. Petersburg, Russia.

Among the 15 players named to the 2017 United States Men's National Team, 13 have skated for a United States National Team and have combined to win 22 medals in IIHF World Championship play. United States roster currently consists of three goaltenders, four defensemen and eight forwards.

Nick Bjugstad - Forward - Florida Panthers - Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Daniel Brickley, Defense - Minnesota State University - Sandy, Utah.
J.T. Compher - Forward - Colorado Avalanche - Northbrook, Illinois.
Andrew Copp - Forward - Winnipeg Jets - Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Danny DeKeyser - Defense - Detroit Red Wings - Detroit, Michigan.

Christian Dvorak- Forward - Arizona Coyotes - Palos, Illinois.
Jordan Greenway - Forward - Boston University - Canton, New York.
Connor Hellebuyck - Goaltender - Winnipeg Jets - Commerce, Michigan.
Jimmy Howard - Goaltender - Detroit Red Wings - Syracuse, New York.
Dylan Larkin - Forward - Detroit Red Wings - Waterford, Michigan.

Anders Lee - Forward - New York Islanders - Edina, Minnesota.
Connor Murphy - Defense - Arizona Coyotes - Dublin, Ohio.
Brock Nelson - Forward - New York Islanders - Warroad, Minnesota.
Cal Petersen - Goaltender - University of Notre Dame - Waterloo, Iowa.
Jacob Trouba - Defense - Winnipeg Jets - Rochester, Michigan.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Well he is getting a head start on that.

Cal Petersen (University Of Notre Dame) was just named one of three goalies to the 2017 United States National Team for the upcoming World Championship to be held in Cologne, Germany and Paris, France. The other two goalies are Jimmy Howard (Detroit Red Wings) and Connor Hellebuyck (Winnipeg Jets).

@SabresProspects - Congratulations to Cal. Quite an honor. First time he'll be wearing the USA jersey since the 2013 World Junior A Challenge.
@BuffaloSabres - Congrats to Sabres prospect @CalPetersen40, named to the @usahockey men's national team for #IIHFWorlds.

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Cal Petersen has excelled against college players. He’ll get the chance to see what he can do against professionals.
The Sabres goaltending prospect was one of the first 15 players named to the United States World Championship team, USA Hockey announced Wednesday.
The World Championship will be held May 5-May 21 in Paris, France and Cologne, Germany.

Petersen went 23-12-5 with a .926 save percentage at Notre Dame this season, leading the Fighting Irish to the Frozen Four.
The junior has made 90 straight starts. Buffalo selected him in the fifth round of the 2013 NHL Draft.
The Sabres want to sign him and make him the starter in Rochester next season.
But General Manager Tim Murray said Tuesday the goalie has yet to decide if he’ll leave school.
Petersen’s World Championship experience could influence his decision.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/13/sabres-petersen-tabbed-u-s-world-championship-team/

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

The upcoming World Championship is a chance for some Buffalo Sabres to continue their season. That includes Adam Nightingale.

The Sabres’ video coach will serve as USA Hockey’s video coordinator at the IIHF men’s world championship next month.
He previously represented the United States in the 2015 World Juniors.
Nightingale just ended his first season with Buffalo. He was previously the director of hockey operations and video coordinator for Michigan State.

Jack Eichel has not yet decided if he’ll play for the United States in the tournament, which will be held May 5-May 21 in Paris, France and Cologne, Germany.

http://buffalonews.com/2017/04/13/u...ingale-video-coordinator-world-championships/

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Agree. Even if the ankle's 100% better now, I'd rather not risk him getting injured playing games that don't mean anything to us. He's too important to this team to chance it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad