World Championships in the Far (Middle) East

BlizzardSloth

Mar 27, 2019
Zurich, Switzerland
As this article mentions Kazakhstan is already running an application for 2026 (as well as GB and Norway). So I guess Nur-Sultan could work in the near future, even though I'd prefer to have 2026 in Switzerland as the latest option.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Kazakhstan is probably the best option from that area. Regarding Russian cities near the Ural Mountains and east of that, Russian Hockey Federation has given them multiple junior tournaments.

2023 WJC is set to be in Novosibirsk while 2018 U18 tournament was in Magnitogorsk and Chelyabinsk.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
While I think Switzerland should host in 2026, it will certainly be interesting to see where the tournament will be hosted in the next round of bids. I'm all for traveling somewhere new like Kazakhstan and I have a free place to stay in London, but I don't think a nation should be able to host unless they're in the top division for a certain number of consecutive years. Yes, a team cannot be relegated if they host the following year, but to allow any nation to bid makes me think it's like buying your way into the championship.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Kazakhstan is probably the best option from that area. Regarding Russian cities near the Ural Mountains and east of that, Russian Hockey Federation has given them multiple junior tournaments.

2023 WJC is set to be in Novosibirsk while 2018 U18 tournament was in Magnitogorsk and Chelyabinsk.
2023 WJC will also be played in Omsk, while I believe Novosibirsk will be a main hub for the tournament. Both Russian cities will get a new venue for around 12,000 seats.

Reactions: KTl

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Could it work? We had Olympics in this region and we will see another. But World Championships?

Not directly in China. But lets say in Russia aka Chabarovsk, Vladivostok?

Or in the middle of Russia? Novosibirsk, Omsk + Nur Sultan.
The moan by North Americans and Europeans would be unbearable. They are so used to having everything in a convenient time zone.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't know what the point would be, it's more convenient for Russian fans from Khabarovsk to come to Moscow than for fans from about anywhere to go to Khabarovsk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad