Workout| Diet

Analyzer*

As a new year's resolution, I've decided to try and get more in shape.

What are some good exercise things you can do at home and foods you can eat.

I got a work bench, some weights and other equipment for the arms and such from a friend.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
If you're trying to lose weight, the best thing you can do for yourself is cardio and eat responsibly. Try to get into your mind that food is fuel, not an event. Try to match the amount of days you lift with the same amount of days spent doing hard cardio. Doing some light cardio before lifting is a good way to incorporate it into your routine. I do something like this...

Monday: Light cardio, weights
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: Light cardio, weights
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Light cardio, weights
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: Break. Once every two weeks, I'll use Sunday as my evil food habit day where I eat what I want.

A couple of quick food tips...

*Eggs is a great way to start the day. It's filling and healthy for the body.

*Nuts are a great snack and also boost a lot of health benefits. Try to stick with unsalted nuts.

*There's so many healthy, filling meals you can make using the combo of chicken and rice.

*Fruit is great, but try to avoid sweetened fruit drinks. Most are high in calorie.

Good luck!!

Grind Line

Aug 11, 2008
Chelmsford, UK
Specific weight exercises would be things like:

Lunges holding weights
Push Ups
Bicep Curls
Tricep dips or equivalant
Leg Curls
Shoulder Press

Loads of Abs work. Most important to be a strong skater. Helps balance etc.

Sit ups
Tail Lifts

Work on your obliques too!

Jogging is good for losing weight and helps muscle growth too.
Skating is also great for toning legs and getting fitter.

As for food;

Eggs on toast (not fried)
Brown/wholemeal Bread is better than white
Wholewheat cereals
Loads of Fruit and Veg
Chicken

and drink loads and loads of water. Helps nutrients get the the muscles etc quicker and with the most goodness possible.

Lay off anything fried, don't drink alcohol, no fizzy/carbonated drinks.

densetsu

Depending on what side of the bed you wake up on, a scientist will either tell you "eggs are good" or "eggs are bad".

Skip all the mumbo-jumbo and just have egg whites most of the time, save yolks for Saturday morning breakfasts and special occasions.

Analyzer*

Happy Steve said:
Tail Lifts

What are those ?

I hope I don'.t sound too much like an idiot, but like, store bought, made at home chicken is the best, none of this trying to be a smart ass and eating KFC ?

Pasta as well ? When I use to play hockey, I use to eat it all the time and hear NHLers saying they eat it before games and such.

I hate winter. I use to go biking on a fitness trail in the summer. For some reason, I never had stamina when running, but I could bike and skate forever.

Quicktimer

Nov 20, 2008
Pasta as well ? When I use to play hockey, I use to eat it all the time and hear NHLers saying they eat it before games and such.

Pasta is great before doing activity ( workout, hockey etc..). Also if you want to lose weight try and keep your heart rate, so if you are doing bench super set it with some push ups. ( If going on your knees could help )

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I hope I don'.t sound too much like an idiot, but like, store bought, made at home chicken is the best, none of this trying to be a smart ass and eating KFC ?

With fried chicken you're eating batter and fat which add calories. If you're looking to shed pounds it's adding weight you don't need.

Pasta is a carbohydrate/fuel. It's okay to eat it a day or two before a game -- it takes that long for your body to convert it to useful energy so there's no benefit to eating it the day of a game. In general you're looking to get a balance of protein for building muscles (and healing), energy for your muscles to burn, fiber to make you feel full and to help eliminate waste, vitamins and minerals to keep everything working right and water to keep your joints lubricated and your muscles from getting tight.

Limit:
sugar -- It gives a quick energy boost and then leaves you tired
caffeine -- similar energy spike and it can dehydrate you
alcohol -- will dehydrate you and it's high in calories
fats & oils -- denser in calories than carbohydrates

Gobias Industries

Aug 29, 2007
Toronto
If you're trying to lose weight, the best thing you can do for yourself is cardio and eat responsibly. Try to get into your mind that food is fuel, not an event. Try to match the amount of days you lift with the same amount of days spent doing hard cardio. Doing some light cardio before lifting is a good way to incorporate it into your routine. I do something like this...

Monday: Light cardio, weights
Tuesday: Cardio
Wednesday: Light cardio, weights
Thursday: Cardio
Friday: Light cardio, weights
Saturday: Cardio
Sunday: Break. Once every two weeks, I'll use Sunday as my evil food habit day where I eat what I want.

A couple of quick food tips...

*Eggs is a great way to start the day. It's filling and healthy for the body.

*Nuts are a great snack and also boost a lot of health benefits. Try to stick with unsalted nuts.

*There's so many healthy, filling meals you can make using the combo of chicken and rice.

*Fruit is great, but try to avoid sweetened fruit drinks. Most are high in calorie.

Good luck!!

I've been doing this lately and dropped 20 pounds off my max....I would stress the eating, it's definitely more imporant that the working out if you're trying to lose weight..

Don't slouch on anything.

If you're going to do hard cardio do HIIT and sweat more than anyone in the room.

If you're going to lift weights, do it slow and controlled and explosively.

You'll get what you give when it comes to your body, willpower is the most important part of the plan.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Pasta is a carbohydrate/fuel. It's okay to eat it a day or two before a game -- it takes that long for your body to convert it to useful energy so there's no benefit to eating it the day of a game. In general you're looking to get a balance of protein for building muscles (and healing), energy for your muscles to burn, fiber to make you feel full and to help eliminate waste, vitamins and minerals to keep everything working right and water to keep your joints lubricated and your muscles from getting tight.

I've not heard of eating carbs a day or two before a game...I thought it was more 4-6 hours before a game? I'll have to look into that. I always fight through low energy levels.

A good simple bit of advice I've heard is to get a few frozen healthy meals and make your plate look like them. Notice how small the portions are...a small serving of protein, a decent size serving of veggies...not a lot of bread.

Otherwise just keep a food log for a couple weeks. Once you start tracking all the stuff you eat, you should easily see what's trouble and what's not. If you exercise 3-5 times a week and watch what you eat, you should start losing weight slowly but surely.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
I've not heard of eating carbs a day or two before a game...I thought it was more 4-6 hours before a game? I'll have to look into that. I always fight through low energy levels.

The suggestion is to not eat 3-4 hours before playing because it takes energy to digest your food that can be better used playing hockey. But your body will take much longer to break down that food, absorb it and store it in your muscles for use.

A good simple bit of advice I've heard is to get a few frozen healthy meals and make your plate look like them. Notice how small the portions are...a small serving of protein, a decent size serving of veggies...not a lot of bread.

That's a good idea -- my wife teaches about nutrition and portion sizes. The amount of food you're served in most restaurants is probably 3 servings' worth. However, hockey is going to consume a lot of energy so you'll need to eat more than a standard serving of food to fuel that activity. Otherwise you'll be fatigued most of the time. I completely agree about the ratios, though of protein vs veggies vs starch.

noobman

Nov 28, 2007
As a new year's resolution, I've decided to try and get more in shape.

What are some good exercise things you can do at home and foods you can eat.

I got a work bench, some weights and other equipment for the arms and such from a friend.
Are you trying to just lose some weight, or are you looking to train specifically for hockey?

The two are very different. If you want a general workout you can use something like P90x. If you're looking to improve fitness for hockey, P90x isn't too bad from what I understand but it's not the best use of your time.

If you're carb-loading for a game, you probably want to do it 3-6 hours prior. If you have a game at 7, eat a hefty plate of pasta at 3 and you'll have lots of energy at your disposal.

Grind Line

Aug 11, 2008
Chelmsford, UK
What are those ?

Tail lifts:

Lie on your back, arms stretched straight over your head and legs fully extended and crossed in the air. Exhale and lift your tail-bone, then slowly lower as you inhale - resisting on the way down.

Really good for lower abs. Crunches are good for upper ab work!

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
Building muscle is important, I've heard that lifting weights helps you burn fat better than cardio, the reason being that you burn it for 3 days while your muscles recover and the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Intensity is the key... Do short intervals cardio about 3 times per week and hit the gym at least 3 times per week. Never fellow a low-carb diet and eat "healthy foods". Yeah it's really that easy!

Savante

Feb 18, 2008
Bump for a question of my own..

I've become a pretty decent player, but I want to go from in decent shape to in great shape. I play Monday, Wednesday (and sometimes Friday for drop-in), but I'm looking to supplement my game with a gym workout. I already do elliptical on days I don't work out, but I'd like to lift some weights, my legs are far more muscular than my upper body.

My work's gym is opening in 2 weeks, so it's free, so I was thinking I'd start Tuesday/Thursday in the gym lifting weights. I haven't lifted weights regularly in several years, but when I did, I remember being pretty sore after, which would obviously be a problem for my Wednesday game (which is the league I'm more of an impact player in).

Anyone lift weights on their off days? Any advice on exercises, machines, specific target? I was thinking I'd probably want to do upper body on Tuesday, and lower body on Thursday (so that my skating doesn't suffer), but I guess I don't want to overstress myself and hurt my game overall. Is it even worth it if I'm not pushing myself?

thebkon

Sep 3, 2006
I agree with P90-X for a work out regime.

For a lifestyle change checkout http://www.marksdailyapple.com .Look at his plan for the "Primal Blueprint".

The gist of it is that 80% of your results come from diet. Grains and Sugar are bad. Protein and "Healthy fats" are good. Get out and play everyday. There is an abundance of info there and if you have any questions you can always email him (very quick and helpful responses). If you plan to email him send as much info about your status and your goals and he can take it from there. I am using P90-X and am attempting the Primal lifestyle and over 3 weeks i have lost 10.4lbs. You can check out my blog (http://thebkon.blogspot.com/) to see more info about P90-X and my journey.

qwertyaas

LGR@
Feb 19, 2008
New York
Lotta suggestions on eggs, but be careful. A study released last week actually recommended to not eat them more than three times a week or you significantly increase the risk of developing heart problems in the future.

Egg whites are perfectly healthy. Nothing in them really besides protein. Don't have eggs with yolks more than three times a week if what I think you are trying to say. Massive amounts of cholesterol, although lots of nutrition in it too.

I have around 2-3 eggs each day, but I only eat egg whites.

EmptyNetter

Jun 22, 2006
North Shore, MA
Anyone lift weights on their off days? Any advice on exercises, machines, specific target? I was thinking I'd probably want to do upper body on Tuesday, and lower body on Thursday (so that my skating doesn't suffer), but I guess I don't want to overstress myself and hurt my game overall. Is it even worth it if I'm not pushing myself?

From what I've read it's not the wisest thing to try to build muscle during the season. In order to add muscle you're tearing muscle fibers that you have so that they will repair themselves stronger than they were before. That process can take 2-3 days and your body needs extra energy to make the repairs. So. . . on a day your body should be resting and repairing you'll be asking it to play hockey. You'll have less energy and less strength, not more, and you probably won't see the muscle gains you were expecting.

My advice is to do strength training in the offseason OR play fewer games during the season to give you enough rest time. Stick with the cardio and look to improve muscle endurance -- if you still want to lift weights use lighter weights and go for more repetitions.

Savante

Feb 18, 2008
From what I've read it's not the wisest thing to try to build muscle during the season. In order to add muscle you're tearing muscle fibers that you have so that they will repair themselves stronger than they were before. That process can take 2-3 days and your body needs extra energy to make the repairs. So. . . on a day your body should be resting and repairing you'll be asking it to play hockey. You'll have less energy and less strength, not more, and you probably won't see the muscle gains you were expecting.

My advice is to do strength training in the offseason OR play fewer games during the season to give you enough rest time. Stick with the cardio and look to improve muscle endurance -- if you still want to lift weights use lighter weights and go for more repetitions.

Thanks for the advice. The problem is, I'm just playing adult rec league and there isn't really an offseason -- not even a week between sessions.

Anyway, I decided to pay the money to go to a personal trainer to discuss this with him, and to possibly establish a regiment. I wouldn't really have any problem with doing lighter weights, I'm a solid guy and don't really need to bulk up, but I could stand to tighten up my abdominal area and my shoulders/arms would be great. I definitely don't want my game to suffer, and I'm okay with slower progress because of hockey.

So we'll see what happens -- but I appreciate your comments!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad