Working From Home Sucks!!

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
How do you guys feel about the new trend of working from home (for traditional office jobs)?

I personally believe that working from home is pretty bad. I think most people don't do much work at all, and treat it like a vacation. Are people really going to work if no one's watching? I get a little agitated whenever I see any of my coworkers work from home for the day. They like to casually rub it in my face too... Kind of annoying.

During the pandemic I definitely worked from home though, unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of it, as my printer is always tricky to operate, and I typically print most of my emails to make notes and to file them. I like the printer we have in the office, and I can call IT whenever it isn't working.

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
How do you guys feel about the new trend of working from home (for traditional office jobs)?

I personally believe that working from home is pretty bad. I think most people don't do much work at all, and treat it like a vacation. Are people really going to work if no one's watching? I get a little agitated whenever I see any of my coworkers work from home for the day. They like to casually rub it in my face too... Kind of annoying.

During the pandemic I definitely worked from home though, unfortunately. I'm not a big fan of it, as my printer is always tricky to operate, and I typically print most of my emails to make notes and to file them. I like the printer we have in the office, and I can call IT whenever it isn't working.
I've been working from home since March 2020. I can only speak for myself in that I do NOT slack off and if anything make extra sure to do my work diligently & on time so that this privilege is not taken from me. I've been lucky not to have too many technical glitches in then time I have been home & I hope I never am forced to go back to office working.

Reactions: Phil McKraken

Jiminy Cricket

#TeamMeat
Mar 9, 2014
Imagine having a job. :biglaugh: I have collected over $250,000 from welfare, you can just lie on the forms and get as much money as you want. I am an able-bodied person who could easily make a living, but I choose to sit at home collecting free checks instead. Why work when you can just sign up for welfare. :yo:

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I personally believe that working from home is pretty bad. I think most people don't do much work at all, and treat it like a vacation. Are people really going to work if no one's watching?

Most people have targets and or deadlines, suddenly not meeting these requirements since working from home would be a easy flag for a manager. Not too mention the capabilities of any IT Dept to monitor application and web access, if you're scrolling around Amazon all day on work issued equipment, you're not fooling anyone.

I have no choice but to be out and about, but the Wife has worked from home for a while now. She doesn't miss the consuming commute, eats a healthy lunch and actually works more hours now then she did when she had to shut down and leave the office. Less wear and tear on the car, more productive time and less stress.

Lazy people at home taking advantage will be the same lazy people who took advantage at the office.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Imagine having a job. :biglaugh: I have collected over $250,000 from welfare, you can just lie on the forms and get as much money as you want. I am an able-bodied person who could easily make a living, but I choose to sit at home collecting free checks instead. Why work when you can just sign up for welfare. :yo:
is the quebecois tv show "les bougon" about you

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Scandale du Jour

PostBradMalone

Mar 19, 2022
What kind of printer do you have @Recipe Unlimited

Based on how boomerish OP sounds I'd have to guess it's one of these bad boys:

1659492737994.png

Reactions: Ncit3

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
I'm also envious of people who work from home

It's got many benefits, especially time if you have to slog out a long commute in a congested city. It took me longer today to drive 10 KM in the core of Toronto then it takes to hike 70 KM on the 401 from the Kitchener area. Guess which one is less stressful to boot!

Like I said, the Wife works from home with the odd exception and actually logs in earlier and stays online with work later, getting more off her to do list and has more time for both work and home. Not too mention having a nice healthy fresh lunch.

The idea that many are slacking off is ridiculous, sure some are, but many people have deadlines, reports, not too mention IT often has many programs embedded on work issued computers. It's 2022, your bosses know what you're upto online.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
I have another concern that I have only noticed now as working from home has become more popular...

I set up recurring team meetings that are very important, but people seem to forget them often. They are probably slacking off at home and doing no work.

One of the things I started doing was sending a second meeting request 24 hours before the actual meeting to use as a reminder for the important meeting. The reminder meeting is more of a placeholder.

• Haha
Reactions: tfwnogf and H3ckt1k

PanthersPens62

Coach Nerd
Mar 7, 2009
Mike's Wheel Barrell
I have another concern that I have only noticed now as working from home has become more popular...

I set up recurring team meetings that are very important, but people seem to forget them often. They are probably slacking off at home and doing no work.

One of the things I started doing was sending a second meeting request 24 hours before the actual meeting to use as a reminder for the important meeting. The reminder meeting is more of a placeholder.
When my manager schedules meetings Outlooks send automatic reminders 15 minutes before the meeting. No one on our team has "forgotten" to attend. I don't know who these people are that are on your team, so I won't speak for them, but every one of my teammates takes working from home very seriously and to my knowledge our manager has not had to speak with any of us about slacking off.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
When my manager schedules meetings Outlooks send automatic reminders 15 minutes before the meeting. No one on our team has "forgotten" to attend. I don't know who these people are that are on your team, so I won't speak for them, but every one of my teammates takes working from home very seriously and to my knowledge our manager has not had to speak with any of us about slacking off.
Even when yinz are all watching "Moron" Joe every morning

• Haha
Reactions: PanthersPens62

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015

That sounds like a fantastic idea! You seem like a great part of their team.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I hate working from home. Leave the work stuff at work and try to enjoy the home life without work contaminating that.

My Best-Carey
I had that same attitude for several decades prior to the pandemic. But when I saw the opportunity to ask a sympathetic manager to get me a permanent virtual work status, while others in my office were temporarily WFH and many wanted to return, I jumped on the opportunity to control my own physical health & sanity. If my employer decides to recall their full-time virtual employees (a recurring rumor tied to growing American corporate delusions that "productivity" is influenced more by group behavior than by individual misbehavior), I will retire & never look back.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Been working from home since about May of 2000, small business, but they decided that since production hadn't declined, and personal issues between employees have been non-existent, they dumped the office and made work from home permanent. I get done what I need to get done for the week, and i'm good. Sometimes it's 25 hours, sometimes a bit more. Current gas prices have barely impacted me as a result, as I was driving an hour to Nashville one way 5 times a week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad