Worcester Sharks News & Discussion V

Speed

Jan 7, 2004
Holden, MA
www.sharksboosters.com
Hey 210, I saw this on your twitter feed and was wondering if you could elaborate.

I can..
A bunch of us were at Pizzeria Unos after the game. it's also connected to the hotel where short term player stay.
Goldobin came in, saw the bunch of us (we had several kids with us), came over to us unsolicited, and handed out his player cards, and signed them as well. After a 2nd tough loss, to just come over a be so nice a gracious was pretty damn special.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I can..
A bunch of us were at Pizzeria Unos after the game. it's also connected to the hotel where short term player stay.
Goldobin came in, saw the bunch of us (we had several kids with us), came over to us unsolicited, and handed out his player cards, and signed them as well. After a 2nd tough loss, to just come over a be so nice a gracious was pretty damn special.

Wow, that's awesome. :handclap:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Yeah, he could have just grabbed his dinner and walked to his room but to comer over and spend some time with us (and there was a good number of folks there) really was a special moment.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I can..

Yeah, he could have just grabbed his dinner and walked to his room but to comer over and spend some time with us (and there was a good number of folks there) really was a special moment.

Oh man I'm jealous! I went to Brew House after the game to meet some of my girlfriends friends that she has in the area, but was thinking about telling them to just meet us at UNO's. Oh well.

Glad to know he's an awesome kid. This makes me think that he's really excited to have the opportunity to play the game as a professional and appreciates the fans. Always happy to know that we have good people on our teams/franchise.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I can..

Character is part of the pro-cess. ;) j/k great to hear.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I think that his agent (Larionov) has instilled some good lessons in his head.

And one should be that you should ALWAYS make time for fans.

Very communicative during training camp too.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Oh man I'm jealous! I went to Brew House after the game to meet some of my girlfriends friends that she has in the area, but was thinking about telling them to just meet us at UNO's. Oh well.

Glad to know he's an awesome kid. This makes me think that he's really excited to have the opportunity to play the game as a professional and appreciates the fans. Always happy to know that we have good people on our teams/franchise.

There was room at UNO's too...the bar area was packed but there were tables to be had at the restaurant. We basically took over one whole corner of the place.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007

I couldn't agree more with your comments on Hayes & Carpenter. I was a fan of Carpenter before joining Worcester and after watching him this season I like him even more.

Even w/o the "youth movement" thing there's no reason not to have those kinds of players on your 4th line, or even as depth players in Hayes' case, rather than the Browns or Scotts.

Assuming SJ does the smart thing and re-ups Fedun, Taormina & Young, when you add those three to DeMelo, Bergman, Abeltshauser (assuming he's re-signed) and Ryan the Barracuda defense should be quite good next season, though I'm not sure how promising that group is for the SJ Sharks future.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Sometimes for "borderline" players like Hayes getting a taste of the NHL too early can be a bad thing because then they start chasing getting back into the NHL as opposed to improving the aspects of their games that will get them there to stay. Hayes had that issue at the end of last season, but this year came in with the goal of just being a better player. It showed.

I'm thinking Carpenter will be the "extra" forward next season, and with the teams playing in the same city you're going to see a lot of transactions involving him. Don't be shocked if he signs a two year deal in the off season. Just sayin'... ;)

I'm almost certain they're going to qualify Abeltshauser. The upside is way to high to give up on him this early and his play in the ECHL (14 games, 8-6-14, +3) shows he can play the game. He just needs to gain some confidence and not let mistakes bother him.

My guess is they won't bring Taormina back...I think they're going to grab a couple younger defensemen (Taormina will be 30 at the start of next season) out of the free agent pile and see if they can't develop one of them. Plus on the left side they potentially have Abeltshauser, Young, Stollery (who I think SJ is absolutely going to bring back) and Ryan. Odd man out would be Taormina there.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
Sometimes for "borderline" players like Hayes getting a taste of the NHL too early can be a bad thing because then they start chasing getting back into the NHL as opposed to improving the aspects of their games that will get them there to stay. Hayes had that issue at the end of last season, but this year came in with the goal of just being a better player. It showed.

I'm thinking Carpenter will be the "extra" forward next season, and with the teams playing in the same city you're going to see a lot of transactions involving him. Don't be shocked if he signs a two year deal in the off season. Just sayin'... ;)

I'm almost certain they're going to qualify Abeltshauser. The upside is way to high to give up on him this early and his play in the ECHL (14 games, 8-6-14, +3) shows he can play the game. He just needs to gain some confidence and not let mistakes bother him.

My guess is they won't bring Taormina back...I think they're going to grab a couple younger defensemen (Taormina will be 30 at the start of next season) out of the free agent pile and see if they can't develop one of them. Plus on the left side they potentially have Abeltshauser, Young, Stollery (who I think SJ is absolutely going to bring back) and Ryan. Odd man out would be Taormina there.

I mentioned somewhere else that I expect SJ to carry less than the 23 max roster players so they can 'shuttle' guys back and forth between the AHL and NHL next season.

That's too bad about Taormina. He was their best offensive threat from the blueline but I guess considering that 2, maybe 3 of the d-men that'll be with the Barracuda next season may eventually turn into NHLers adding a young d-man or two and hoping they get lucky with their development wouldn't hurt.

I liked Stollery but I don't see a NHL future with him either.

Edit: I should add that if SJ plans load the AHL roster with young talent that they believe could have a future in SJ (with maybe a vet or two as 'mentors'), which they kinda did this season, that would be good with me and that's a good enough reason to not sign Taormina. It would be nice if they had a better head coach to lead them but that's clearly not happening.

Last edited:

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I think the entirety of "AHL West", excluding Ontario, is going to be prospect driven with more "teaching" vets as opposed to being focused on winning. I'm really sure it will be business as usual with the LA Kings (why mess with what works for them?) and they'll have a "legit" team and run away with that division.

sr228

Sep 16, 2007
I think the entirety of "AHL West", excluding Ontario, is going to be prospect driven with more "teaching" vets as opposed to being focused on winning. I'm really sure it will be business as usual with the LA Kings (why mess with what works for them?) and they'll have a "legit" team and run away with that division.

I figured that much as well but it would still be nice if they had a good head coach as the Barracuda should have a decent roster next year and winning tends to be helpful when trying to develop players.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I figured that much as well but it would still be nice if they had a good head coach as the Barracuda should have a decent roster next year and winning tends to be helpful when trying to develop players.

Unfortunately for us the last nine season, DW disagrees. I hope Barracuda fans have more success than we did. I wouldn't bet on it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad