Wood vs. Composite: What's your Preference

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
DaveyCrockett said:
I'll take a composite any day of the week. More durable, lighter, better shots.

Agreed

Better range-of-quality as well, and they do not break as easily.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Im not exactly sure what it is, but I really prefer wood sticks. i only play roller, so for the ball league i play in wood sticks are almost a necessity in order to be able to feel the ball on your blade. i think its a preference for wood blades in general, and i cant stand the feel of a 2 piece, so a composite shaft with wood blade isnt an option. favorite wood sticks are bauer sumpreme 3030 (lindros) and sherwood 5030sc (coffey).

barfy2000

Jun 23, 2005
Whitby, Ontario
I like wood. I have used composites but I have never really found one that I have liked. I don't get the same feel of the puck with it...kinda hard to explain, but I like my Sher-Woods...

Qui Gon Dave

Aug 3, 2005
Cheshire, England
Composites for me. I started off using wood sticks as they were cheap but after a couple of years switched to composite (shaft/blade combo) and haven't gone back since. The manufactures i've used have changed a lot, but i still prefer the lightness, durability and consistancy of using composite (and with shafts, being able to try different blades has been useful as i have now settled on a style that i like).

Neely08

Mar 9, 2006
North of Boston
I tried to resist composite sticks for a long time.

Old geezer voice: "bleh! I don't need no fancy stick boy!!"

Then I used one...will never go back.

Adds bigtime velocity to your shots... all of them; wrist, snap, and slappers. Also obviously lighter...

I use a lot more tape on the blade than I did on wood sticks... to protect it.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Easily wood for me. (I'm sure that statement will come back to haunt me.) I just get a much better feel for the puck on my stick. The only thing that I like about composites is that the flex location is more consistent.

nni

Dec 29, 2005
wood.

i love my easton classic.
prefer it over my easton stealth.

hockeystud938

Feb 21, 2005
in practice i use wood and in games i use composite i think that u have much for feel for the puck when u use a wood stick which is the only think that is better than the composite sticks. i have a better shot, its so much lighter and alot more durable so i like compostie betteri guess its jsut about what ur used to

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Composites are hands down the best... if you can find the right one for you.

Lighter, more durable, consistently the same feel, lie, and flex, better velocity.

No contest.

RangersMoogle

Oct 25, 2005
Ohio
www.tehinter.net
I picked up a Synergy in Dick's, couldn't put it down, had to buy it. I still use wood sticks on occasion but I definitely like composites better, I love the flex in composite sticks. Since I fumble passes no matter what (I ROCK!) the harder blade doesn't make a difference for me.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Composite, love a light stick. My stick broke the other week and i had to use my backup wood stick and it felt like I was skating around with a tree trunk....ok it wasnt that bad but it felt really different and I wouldnt go back to wood.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad