Speculation: Won't anyone sign Lee Stempniak?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
He's still good for 30-40 points when healthy.

I would imagine with his back issues, he's no longer the complimentary top nine forward he's been for years.

Probably more of a bottom six option if his back hasn't slowed him down to much. Could definitely see a team taking a flyer on him to add some veteran depth.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Season before last I thought he played well, and was glad we didn't lose him in the expansion draft. But he got hurt right before the start of last season, came back about half way through, and was nowhere near as effective as before. I like the guy and am hoping this offseason allows him to get back to where he was a year and a half ago, but at 35yo, who knows? I'm also guessing a PTO or retirement for Stemp. Don't know that I see him playing in Europe.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Waaaaaaay more options for teams now than him.

Use young guys in organization and they will out perform him

TorontLoL 67

Ekwensu Ocha
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Central Vermont
Ahhh, good ol' Suitcase Stempniak. I remember watching him play for the Dartmouth Big Green. Dartmouth is my "hometown" college team and it was sweet to see him play for Boston. Hope someone signs him.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
No. No NHL GM is going to sign Lee Stemp whose play last year was that of a man who didn't hang them up soon enough to avoid going out an embarrassment to himself.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
No. No NHL GM is going to sign Lee Stemp whose play last year was that of a man who didn't hang them up soon enough to avoid going out an embarrassment to himself.

Boo! :thumbd: I find that somewhat offensive. Stemp was effective in 2016-17 and there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be the same last season before he got hurt. At which point, quitting rather than attempting to come back for the remainder of the season would have been a disservice to the team. I applaud him for putting in the rehabilitation work to try to help the team, which really needed it.

Last edited:

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Boo! :thumbd: I find that somewhat offensive. Stemp was effective in 2016-17 and there was no reason to believe he wouldn't be the same last season before he got hurt. At which point, quitting rather than attempting to come back for the remainder of the season would have been a disservice to the team. I applaud him for putting in the rehabilitation work to try to help the team, which really needed it.

Be all that as it may, it was painful to watch and every game I felt bad for him.

Dubcanesfan

Jan 6, 2016
He just isn't the solid option he once was anymore, due to age and injuries. Hopefully he gets some kind of gig whether thats an nhl team later on in the off season or overseas

Reactions: DaveG

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I love Stempy.

But he wants to play in teh east because of family reasons, so he will likely take a PTO with a team in the NE US and if he doesn't get a contract, I imagine he will fade away like a beautiful sunset

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
There are still some other Dominos to fall, but when it's all said and done I could see the Islanders picking up the phone and offering Stempy at least a PTO. I just can't see Buffalo doing it, I wouldn't be mad if they did, as I love Stempniak - but frankly they're already stuck with rapidly declining Pominville, and a few other question marks in the bottom 9 that need sorted out.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
He'll get a PTO/Camp Invite somewhere. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's already been offered some and is just waiting out a contract offer instead. Where things go from there is entirely on him and how he performs in the preseason.

Reactions: BHD

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
If Stempniak goes to Europe or retires without at least signing a PTO with the Sabres, heaven help me, I will curse the hockey gods.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Ahhh 2008 the Steen trade that keeps on giving.

Seeing his name again is so depressing lol

While Steen has been an absolute steal for the Blues, lets not forget the best thing that came from this trade.

images

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
This happens every year. He might just not be sure he wants to play next year, or maybe it's just that after the initial rush ends, teams realize they aren't getting their ideal guy, and players realize they aren't getting their ideal pay day, they take more time and consider fit, location, etc. A couple dozen veterans who are still useful take training camp invites or low money deals in September every year. Also, Stempniak is 35 and had nine points last year, so like, maybe just nobody wants him?

It's not weird that a potentially useful veteran is still available a whole three weeks into free agency. It's weird that teams rush out to give multi-year contracts to Jay Beagle and Antoine Roussell on day one.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
He'll get a PTO/Camp Invite somewhere. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he's already been offered some and is just waiting out a contract offer instead. Where things go from there is entirely on him and how he performs in the preseason.
this

he got a pretty serious injury last year, hopefully can be a successful bottom six ffor a couple more year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad