Women coaches?

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
The Junior B team in my town just named a woman, Abbi Vigue, as assistant coach. The post is pretty much a volunteer position here (due to the team's financial struggles) so they usually find someone local who can spare the time and who knows a thing or two about hockey. She played for the B.C. provincial team and at the NCAA level.

That said, I can't find any mentions of any women coaching junior hockey, even as an assistant. Has it happened before?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I cant find any references to it having happened but Im sure it must have at the amateur levels. The only references I can dig up deal with men coaching womens teams, of which apparently 2 out of every 3 are in fact coached by men. And its not just hockey. Seems most sports coaching is dominated by men be it male or female athletes, individual or team sports. All kinds of papers written on the subject at the university & college levels.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Late 1950s/Early 1960s

I cant find any references to it having happened but Im sure it must have at the amateur levels. The only references I can dig up deal with men coaching womens teams, of which apparently 2 out of every 3 are in fact coached by men. And its not just hockey. Seems most sports coaching is dominated by men be it male or female athletes, individual or team sports. All kinds of papers written on the subject at the university & college levels.

Verdun minor hockey had a few moms coaching house league hockey - boys, Pee Wee in the late fifties / early sixties.

Olga Hrycak coached male CEGEP and university basketball in the Montreal area starting in 1977:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olga_Hrycak

A fair number of the elite Canadian and American Women's hockey players or prospects have gone into coaching at the minor hockey level, school level or in Women's leagues. Excellent overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad