Woll should start game 6.

bbgobie

Sep 19, 2009
I would've started him game 2. Sammy has never had a good playoffs and he didn't instill great confidence bfor me in the regular season

torontoblood

Proud Member of Leafs Nation
May 27, 2021
I think so too. It’s the Raptors vs GSW series.

They need to just come out and play track meet hockey and force a lot of traffic, shots and bodies on Vasilevskiy. Nothing insightful but why was a team built on unique high end offensive skill trying to out balance and out defend a tired old championship team? Isn’t the whole premise to out run and out gun?
Exactly. The leafs need to go back to the basics and play to their strengths. We recently added grit, defensive ability and physicality in the forward group and on defense, but deep down in their hearts, the leafs are a high octane, high skill offense first team. Speed and skill(with the exception of slow ass tavares)is their nature, offense is their confort zone. The true identity of this team is the core five marner/tavares/matthews/nylander/rielly.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
It would be crazy for Keefe to do... But I think Woll is the best goalie on the Leafs. But... He won't play because the media would come down harder on Keefe for playing Woll and losing rather than playing Samsonov and losing. Reputation wise, playing Samsonov is low risk low reward, Woll is high risk, high reward.

Reactions: Confucius

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Exactly. The leafs need to go back to the basics and play to their strengths. We recently added grit, defensive ability and physicality in the forward group and on defense, but deep down in their hearts, the leafs are a high octane, high skill offense first team. Speed and skill(with the exception of slow ass tavares)is their nature, offense is their confort zone. The true identity of this team is the core five marner/tavares/matthews/nylander/rielly.
I sort of disagree, I think the real identity is just puck possession and a high offense naturally comes from having the puck most the time. The Leafs were good defensively not because they defend great but because they force turnovers and get the puck back.

For whatever reason this series, they are letting Tampa run around the ice with the puck, backing off and giving them space. They are trying to defend like an 8th seed that barely squeaked in and collapsing/wildly dumping it out.

Reactions: torontoblood

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If coached properly, you can actually give a goalie a short leash and pull if necessary. The problem isn't with who you are starting.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
It’s these kind of over thinking decisions that Keefe has also done - that hurts the team.

Dress your best line up.

Woll, while I like the kid, would be really stupid.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
It would be crazy for Keefe to do... But I think Woll is the best goalie on the Leafs. But... He won't play because the media would come down harder on Keefe for playing Woll and losing rather than playing Samsonov and losing. Reputation wise, playing Samsonov is low risk low reward, Woll is high risk, high reward.
I agree with this, but if keefe doesn’t beat Tampa, him or his boss won’t have jobs with the leafs come September.

Mar 26, 2010
Regardless of who the Leafs start, they won’t match up against that guy Vasilevskiy who has now entered the series.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
If Sammy shits the bed in game 6, there will be a massive decision to make for game 7. Similar to the Boston situation where they might not go with Ullmark.

Just end it tonight to avoid that shit storm.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
If Sammy shits the bed in game 6, there will be a massive decision to make for game 7. Similar to the Boston situation where they might not go with Ullmark.

Just end it tonight to avoid that shit storm.
Sammy could give up 7 tonight and still start game 7. He can be confident in that. After all giving Woll his first start in 3 weeks in a game 7 is totally dumb, secondly doing that would mean Keele admitted he screwed up and we know he won’t do that.

griffon1

Feb 14, 2018
Adrift at sea
I woulda started Woll in game
5, along with Bunting and Lilly. We had a good Buffer and he could have been yanked if he buckled.

I wouldn't do it now though and I doubt Keefe will.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Sammy has been too good to pull. If Woll fails Sammy will have his confidence shattered and it's over. Run with Sammy,

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I sort of disagree, I think the real identity is just puck possession and a high offense naturally comes from having the puck most the time. The Leafs were good defensively not because they defend great but because they force turnovers and get the puck back.

For whatever reason this series, they are letting Tampa run around the ice with the puck, backing off and giving them space. They are trying to defend like an 8th seed that barely squeaked in and collapsing/wildly dumping it out.

Since we made all those trades our team actually has been outshot by quite a bit most games and our goals against got significantly worse.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
It’s these kind of over thinking decisions that Keefe has also done - that hurts the team.

Dress your best line up.

Woll, while I like the kid, would be really stupid.
You can't call it stupid when teams have won Stanley Cups with goalies who a) are/were kids and b) have had little playoff experience. Woll has also impressed in his appearances this year so we have seen him.

It's a bold decision to sit Samsanov for Woll but not stupid.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
You can't call it stupid when teams have won Stanley Cups with goalies who a) are/were kids and b) have had little playoff experience. Woll has also impressed in his appearances this year so we have seen him.

It's a bold decision to sit Samsanov for Woll but not stupid.

The only way Woll gets in is if Tampa goes up 3-0 early in game 7. Then we pull off an epic comeback and ride him to the Stanley Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad