Woll should start game 6.

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
I know the idea may be a little crazy to some but I really believe you have to look at it as what can give us the edge in game 7 and Samsonov back in on four days rest might be the difference. And who knows, Woll has played well and could get us the win.

Anyone else think we should hedge our bets and try to get an edge for game 7?

(Not the only changes I'd make to the lineup either.)

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I know the idea may be a little crazy to some but I really believe you have to look at it as what can give us the edge in game 7 and Samsonov back in on four days rest might be the difference. And who knows, Woll has played well and could get us the win.

Play to win Game 6, not to prepare for Game 7 before it happens.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I would go to Woll in game 6 too .. but I have seen him play against some of da top players in NHL as a kid and WIN games his STL team has ZERO business being on da same ice as an UNDERAGER .. it was McJesus like .. 60 save shoutouts with 10+ breakaways .. like 60-5 shots on net games .. ice tilted every shift for an entire game .. it is was a BRICK WOLL .. this is his capability .. he has it in his head to do it and he knows he can do it

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Desperate measures are only really called for when trailing in a series IMO. That obviously hasn't been an issue since the start of Game 2. My preference would be found in exploring personnel/lineup changes beyond the net.

Reactions: ToneDog

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
I wanted Woll for game 5. It wasn't a mistake playing Sammy, but I thought Woll had a better chance of winning. Sammy didnt play well in game 5.

Sammy isn't some special playoff performer and to make a cup run, you need 2 goalies.

NOT TO MENTION, Sammy is playing poorly - easily sub .900 over 5 games. If Vasi was even 1/2 his usual self, Tampa would have us on the ropes.

RELYING on Samsonov, despite 4 games of mediocre hockey, is typical Keefe. Play to not lose.

1682699040419.png

Woll just posted a .938 against Tampa.

Sammy hasn't matched that in 5 games.

Keefe doesnt have the balls to play Woll.

If you play Woll, wait to see how the team rallies for him and plays hard defensively to protect him.

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
I would go to Woll in game 6 too .. but I have seen him play against some of da top players in NHL as a kid and WIN games his STL team has ZERO business being on da same ice as an UNDERAGER .. it was McJesus like .. 60 save shoutouts with 10+ breakaways .. like 60-5 shots on net games .. ice tilted every shift for an entire game .. it is was a BRICK WOLL .. this is his capability .. he has it in his head to do it and he knows he can do it
When does the translated version of this come out?

maskingagent

Oct 18, 2016

Samsonov will be better in game 6 and its over. They'll wrap it up in Tampa. Leafs are always better on the road. Less "home" distractions.

Reactions: authentic

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I actually fully agree they should yank Samsanov for Woll. It's just a personal opinion but I have more faith that Woll is the better goalie even without the experience.

That being said Scoring 1 goal at home through 2.5 periods won't win you a hockey game.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think we win game 6 either way, but somehow would also feel more comfortable with Woll in net. I know that sounds crazy considering he hasn't even played a single playoff game yet but I just think he's the better goalie.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I would have started the playoffs with Woll. I think he is our best goalie. Regardless if he is or not he is having one heck of a season I’d just go with it.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I say why not? Sammy ain't doin' it.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
My unpopular opinion...

I personally don't think this series is at all on Samsonov. He was a primary reason we were still in game 5 despite the poor second goal. He made 34 saves, You're not gonna win a game when get heavily outplayed. I also think he was good in game 3-4 despite what the sv% indicates. We got vastly outplayed in both games, and if it weren't for him the score could of been a lot worse.

Reactions: Dr.Funk and OddyOh

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
Unless Sammie injures himself getting out of the shower tomorrow morning… he has to be game 6 starter.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Woll is still essentially a complete question mark for post season play, and seems like a bad idea to put extra pressure on Samsonov when they don't need to.
So if Sammy gives up 4 or 5 on Saturday and sports a playoff .860, you use him in game 7. Talk about pressure on Woll making his 1st start in 3 weeks and it’s a game 7 elimination. So no matter what Sammy does on Saturday he has to go game 7 anyway in that case.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

LegChairGM

Jun 29, 2021
So if Sammy gives up 4 or 5 on Saturday and sports a playoff .860, you use him in game 7. Talk about pressure on Woll making his 1st start in 3 weeks and it’s a game 7 elimination. So no matter what Sammy does on Saturday he has to go game 7 anyway in that case.
Exactly. Woll for game 6.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The safer bet even if Samsonov has a rough game 6 is still him to start game 7 than Woll. Woll has literally played (not started) in 13 career NHL games.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The safer bet even if Samsonov has a rough game 6 is still him to start game 7 than Woll. Woll has literally played (not started) in 13 career NHL games.

Woll just had a .936 vs Tampa.

We need a change.

The big change isnt playing Woll .... its the team rallies to protect him. The Knies effect in goal.

Samsonov just won 2 games in TB and you want to sit him???
This is inaccurate.
You didnt watch the game.

VASI LOST 2 games.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad